Sometimes stupid loses

Old April 9th 11, 09:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington[_6_]

Default Sometimes stupid loses

"Bill Graham" wrote in message
Neil Harrington wrote:
"tony cooper" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 12:34:03 -0400, "Neil Harrington"
wrote:

Unfortunately the far more numerous occasions when guns prevent
crimes do not generally appear "in today's paper." Mostly they do
only when the intended victim has to shoot someone to protect
himself, and this is a very
small minority of cases.

Ahhhh...the "media conspiracy theory": the only reason we don't hear
about armed and brave citizens successfully thwarting thugs is
because the newspapers won't print stories that their liberal
editors and publishers don't want to see in print.

Try to pay attention to what I said instead of making up straw men.
It's that an intended crime prevented by the would-be victim showing
a gun is most often simply a non-event; it's not reported in the news
because the crime didn't occur.

Also, why would the person report it, and get him/herself in trouble for
carrying/brandishing a gun without a license, or other authority to do so.
Anyone in their right mind, would simply walk away and not tell a soul. On
the two occasions where I needed my gun to avoid being mugged, that's what
I did.

Yes, depending on the circumstances I probably would too. Calling in the
police can be a lot more trouble than it's worth, depending on the
intelligence of the cop(s) involved.

One night about 2 a.m. when I was up in my apartment, my car was smashed
into in its parking space by some young punk, possibly on drugs. Somebody
called the police, and I came downstairs to see the damage, which was
considerable. When a cop arrived to make the report, I had to sit in the
back of the cruiser along with the jerk who'd run into my car, and answer
questions as if I were somehow equally responsible. The cop asked me "How
fast were you going at the time of the accident?" I patiently explained to
him all over again that my car was parked in its space and I was up in my
apartment when it was hit. He could not seem to get this. I suppose it
somehow didn't fit into the form he was filling out. I had to explain it two
or three times.

That is not the sort of experience that leaves you with confidence in the
likelihood that the police will handle such things well.

Old April 9th 11, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-04-09 13:38:23 -0700, "Neil Harrington" said:

Le Snip

[...]

Ah! As a former supervisor, I can reflect back and see one of my major
problems with subordinates, "The idiot with a badge." There was
probably a very good reason he was working that watch in the early
hours of the morning.
The worst thing about that type of officer was our inability to find a
reason to reject them when they were on probation, due to Union
protection.
That type of officer has caused me no end of unnecessary work dealing
with citizen complaints and IA investigations. Their usual rationale
and thinking was "I was just doing my job."

Savageduck

Old April 10th 11, 02:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington[_6_]

On 2011-04-09 13:38:23 -0700, "Neil Harrington" said:

Le Snip

[...]

Yes. Actually, most of the cops I've met from our local department seem very
professional and competent. But there's a small percentage that are really
dim jerks, and you can never tell which kind you're going to get.