[SI] Favorites Comments

Old October 27th 09, 04:24 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Russell D.

Default [SI] Favorites Comments

I like to make my comments before reading others, so I better get at
this 'cuz I'm chompin' at the bit. So here goes, keep in mind, just my
uneducated opinion. Heck, sometimes I even change my mind.

BEST_1_Troy_Piggins.jpg - Gorgeous landscape. I hope I would have had
the sense in a setting like this to shoot vertical. I think the natural
tendency would be to shoot horizontal. Awesome picture. One of those you
can spend time exploring.

BEST_2_Troy_Piggins.jpg - Birds on Rock. This one doesn't do much for me
for some reason. The birds are cool but I think they get kind of lost in
the mountain. Were these pictures taken in Australia?

BEST_2_Troy_Piggins.jpg - Uh, it's a Piggins macro. What more need be
said. Well, maybe intimidating in the original size. No wonder my wife
hates those buggers.

BEST_Walter_Banks_1.JPG - Bird on Branch. There is something odd with
birds posture. The picture is OK in a field book sort of way. Maybe a
bit too centered.

BEST_Walter_Banks_2.jpg - This is a bit on the drab side. The
composition is nice but it just kind of sits there.

FAV-Biker-TonyCooper.jpg - Biker Portrait. Very nice. I like portraits
like this too. Well, done. Was he aware you were taking the picture?

FAV-Fountain-TonyCooper.jpg - What makes this picture for me is the way
blue is all through this picture. It ties it all together. This photo
itself is a bit busy but the blue makes it work.

FAV-WateringCan-TonyCooper.jpg - Those guys got the blues. I like this
but I thing it would have been a bit more "comfortable" from a little
higher perspective, not looking up to it.

FAVE_TimConway.jpg - Flowers and wall. Nice composition. It would have
probably worked a lot better a few hours later if that is a west facing
wall.

FAVE_TimConway2.jpg - Sunflowers. My daughter asks me why I take some
many pictures of sunflowers. I just like them. I like these to but also
wonder what later light would have looked like.

FAVE_TimConway3.jpg - Autumn Geese. Nice. Very pleasing scene. I think
I'd crop the half a goose on the left.

FAV_Bret_Douglas1.jpg - Hummingbird. Fabulous. Can't even quibble.

FAV_Bret_Douglas2.jpg - Cheerleader supporters. If it wasn't for the
"Pick Jesus" dude it would be pretty boring but he makes it.

FAV_Bret_Douglas3.jpg - Macaw Eye. Superb. Your EXIF is missing. What
lens did you use? Did you crop this much? Very abstract and yet not, if
that makes any sense.

FAV_Paul-Furman_0035226.jpg - Spider Web Abstract. The colors are just
cool in this. It's a funky picture and I like it a lot.

FOM Elliott Roper.jpg - Self Portrait. There are interesting elements to
this picture. The mirrors are cool. Wouldn't want to be standing there
when that bulb lights up.

Favorite-Savageduck-01.jpg - Auto Hood and Pipes. Nice I like the tones.
I like the composition. Would it be nice to be able to go to a car show
and be by yourself so people aren't all over in you pictures?

Favorite-Savageduck-02.jpg - Auto Light and Hood. I like the composition
of this on a lot. The whole look of the picture is sorta funky though.
I don't dis like the look, it just different. It borders on being
distracting, like an overdone HDR.

Favorites-Savageduck-03.jpg - Seaside Rocks. I like this though it seems
a bit over-saturated. I really like all the textures.

FoM Elliott Roper Barse Ackwards.jpg - Upside-down boat. A nice picture,
I think. I find the upside-downedness to be a bit disconcerting. What's
the point?

FotM_BobCoe_1.JPG - Dad and Girls on Beach. I get the green but it is
just distracting for me.

FotM_BobCoe_2.JPG - Gulls on Beach. Again the color is sort of
bothersome. I'd like to see the original colors.

FotM_BobCoe_2.JPG - Library. Nice photo. I like your idea. BTW, who
paints their walls that color. Good grief.

FotM_MarthaCoe_1.JPG - Kite at Beach. Cool. Nice capture.

Jim Kramer 01.jpg - Black Hawk. Very nice. Great focus on the eye.

Jim Kramer 02.jpg - Red Hawk. I like the first one better but this is
very nice as well. What's the story? How did you get so close?

LonelyPetal3.jpg - Lonely Petal. I really like this photo. The colors
and textures are great. Awesome exposure. Well done.

MarfaCourthouseUplook_1554.jpg - Marfa Courthouse. Very nice. A great
example when "centering" the subject works. I like the perspective.

SI FAV Alan Browne 2.jpg - Pepper and Rice. I like this but can't help
but wonder what it would have looked like at f/22.

SI Fav Alan Browne 3.jpg - Leaf Macro. Very cool. Great photo. Fractals
in nature.

SI Fav Alan Browne 4.jpg - Leaves on ground. More fractals. This is one
of those pictures that tells a story and it makes my back ache just
thinking about it. Nice photo.

SI favourite runner 1.jpg - Bottom half of runner. Interesting concept
but I think that a slower shutter speed would have made it more interesting.

SI favourite runner 2.jpg - Racing Foot. Now yer talkin'.

SI favourite sunbathing.jpg - Bacon. Just doesn't do anything for me.

bowser_fav-1.jpg - Farm stand. Nice. Nice leaves, nice light. This is
one of those scenes where I would try to remember to go back about seven
in the evening and see what was happening with the light.

bowser_fav-2.jpg - Autumn Bridge. Wow, great location. I like this a
lot. The lighting is cool. Nice stream. Should I bring my fly rod?

bowser_fav-3.jpg - Cheerleaders. What can you say, it Cheerleaders? At
6400 ISO. Cool.

dogEvaRun20D_8289r.jpg - Dog. A blurry, out of focus, grainy dog. But
the dog is loved.

fav_mjwyllie.jpg - Karate Kids. The little girl off in never-never land
makes this photo for me. Maybe it's the contrast of the two kids. Fun photo.

jasmineStrandB_40627.jpg - Jasmine Plant. Nice idea but it needed to
shot at about f/2 to blur that background to a green cream.

SI_Solomon_Peachy_Fav_1.jpg - Masked Face. Sorry, just doesn't do much
for me.

SI_Solomon_Peachy_Fav_2.jpg - Wet Mutt. Quite the "expression" on that
dog's face.

Well that was fun. Thanks everyone for sharing your photos.

Russell
Old October 27th 09, 04:43 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:24:57 -0600, "Russell D." wrote:

FAV-Biker-TonyCooper.jpg - Biker Portrait. Very nice. I like portraits
like this too. Well, done. Was he aware you were taking the picture?

No. He never noticed that I was there.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old October 27th 09, 06:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Troy Piggins[_31_]

* Russell D. wrote :
snip /
BEST_1_Troy_Piggins.jpg - Gorgeous landscape. I hope I would have had
the sense in a setting like this to shoot vertical. I think the natural
tendency would be to shoot horizontal. Awesome picture. One of those you
can spend time exploring.

BEST_2_Troy_Piggins.jpg - Birds on Rock. This one doesn't do much for me
for some reason. The birds are cool but I think they get kind of lost in
the mountain. Were these pictures taken in Australia?

Both of the above were taken on a recent trip to New Zealand.
The first is Franz Joseph Glacier, the second was taken at
Kaikoura on the east coast.

BEST_2_Troy_Piggins.jpg - Uh, it's a Piggins macro. What more need be
said. Well, maybe intimidating in the original size. No wonder my wife
hates those buggers.

snip /

Thanks for your comments, Russell. Not just mine, but for taking
the time for a detailed critique of everyone's. IMO that's what
this is all about.

--
Troy Piggins
Old October 27th 09, 08:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ofnuts

Russell D. wrote:

snip interesting comments on photos

Stupid question: where are the pics? (looked in recent posts tagged
[SI], and even looked up the names on Google)

--
Bertrand
Old October 27th 09, 08:36 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_4_]

On 2009-10-27 01:29:16 -0700, Ofnuts said:

Russell D. wrote:

snip interesting comments on photos

Stupid question: where are the pics? (looked in recent posts tagged
[SI], and even looked up the names on Google)

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/your_favorite

Savageduck

Old October 27th 09, 08:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ofnuts

Old October 27th 09, 01:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bowser

"Russell D." wrote in message
I like to make my comments before reading others, so I better get at
this 'cuz I'm chompin' at the bit. So here goes, keep in mind, just my
uneducated opinion. Heck, sometimes I even change my mind.

bowser_fav-1.jpg - Farm stand. Nice. Nice leaves, nice light. This is
one of those scenes where I would try to remember to go back about seven
in the evening and see what was happening with the light.

By 7PM it was pitch black, but I tried for the "golden hour" and nothing was
in the right position. This was as good as I could get on this scene.
Sunlight kills the scene due to shadows and excessive contrast, so cloudy
days worked best here.

bowser_fav-2.jpg - Autumn Bridge. Wow, great location. I like this a
lot. The lighting is cool. Nice stream. Should I bring my fly rod?

Can't say, never fished. Truth is, I haven't fished anything since I gave up
deep sea quite a while ago. It is a nice spot, though, and very accessible.

bowser_fav-3.jpg - Cheerleaders. What can you say, it Cheerleaders? At
6400 ISO. Cool.

Hell, everyone likes cheerleaders. And ISO 6400 on the 5D II is simply
amazing. Shoot RAW, apply a little NR, adjust white balance and tint, sink
the blacks and voila: sales! All I need to figure out next is how to make
money.

Old October 29th 09, 01:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer[_2_]

"Russell D." wrote in message

Jim Kramer 01.jpg - Black Hawk. Very nice. Great focus on the eye.

Jim Kramer 02.jpg - Red Hawk. I like the first one better but this is
very nice as well. What's the story? How did you get so close?

The first is a male Harris Hawk. The second is a female red-tailed hawk.
I went to a falconry exhibit put on by the "local" Agriculture department 80
miles away. Turns out the guy who owns the birds lives about 7 miles from
me; at some point in December I hope to photograph them hunting with the
birds. As for getting close, it's pretty easy when someone is holding the
bird. :-)

-Jim

Old October 29th 09, 11:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Russell D. wrote:
SI FAV Alan Browne 2.jpg - Pepper and Rice. I like this but can't help
but wonder what it would have looked like at f/22.

Thanks. f/22? Not much more DOF, I think. Anyway, I'll be revisiting
this composition as soon as I have time and I'll re-shoot at f/32. Nice
thing with studio strobes - they punch up easily.

SI Fav Alan Browne 3.jpg - Leaf Macro. Very cool. Great photo. Fractals
in nature.

Thanks, Yes, the fractal aspect did come out well as it did in a
predecessor of this image from a few years ago, also for the SI:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/25250889/original

SI Fav Alan Browne 4.jpg - Leaves on ground. More fractals. This is one
of those pictures that tells a story and it makes my back ache just
thinking about it. Nice photo.

Thanks, Not sure I see the fractals here. Was a failed attempt at
catching a lot of leaf movement but the great gust of wind never
happened (of course it happened before I put up the tripod and mounted a
pol and dug out a 3 stop ND).