Rebel XTI - Continuous Shooting Mode?

Old July 12th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Fred Anonymous

Default Rebel XTI - Continuous Shooting Mode?

"peter" wrote in message
I have a Canon Rebel XTI. The manual says I can put it in continuous
shooting mode using the drive button, but continuous mode is not one
of the choices. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Hello Peter.

I have the 350D (Rebel XT, I think) and that won't let me put it in
continuous drive when the camera is in certain modes. Have you tried it in
Tv or Av mode?

Regards, Ian.
Nottingham, UK.

Old July 12th 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
dwight[_2_]

"Fred Anonymous" wrote in message
"peter" wrote in message
I have a Canon Rebel XTI. The manual says I can put it in continuous
shooting mode using the drive button, but continuous mode is not one
of the choices. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Hello Peter.

I have the 350D (Rebel XT, I think) and that won't let me put it in
continuous drive when the camera is in certain modes. Have you tried it in
Tv or Av mode?

Regards, Ian.
Nottingham, UK.

Just so. On page 59 of the XTi manual, there's a star * after the title
"Continuous Shooting." That star indicates that the option will not be
available in the Basic Zones, only in the Creative Zones.

In the Basic Zones, most functions are controlled automatically.

dwight

Old July 13th 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Poldie[_3_]

"peter" wrote in message
I have a Canon Rebel XTI. The manual says I can put it in continuous
shooting mode using the drive button, but continuous mode is not one
of the choices. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Hello Peter.

I have the 350D (Rebel XT, I think) and that won't let me put it in
continuous drive when the camera is in certain modes. Have you tried it in
Tv or Av mode?

Regards, Ian.
Nottingham, UK.

Just so. On page 59 of the XTi manual, there's a star * after the title
"Continuous Shooting." That star indicates that the option will not be
available in the Basic Zones, only in the Creative Zones.

In the Basic Zones, most functions are controlled automatically.

I think it's strange that you can't shoot RAW pictures in the auto
mode(s). Why? I can't think of any technical reason - am I missing
something?
Old July 13th 08, 12:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Fred Anonymous

"Poldie" _.@._ wrote in message

In the Basic Zones, most functions are controlled automatically.

I think it's strange that you can't shoot RAW pictures in the auto
mode(s). Why? I can't think of any technical reason - am I missing
something?

Hello folks.

I wonder if Canon thought along the lines that if you wanted to use RAW then
you were probably going to want to use a "creative" mode and so they don't
include RAW in the auto modes?

Would it be fair to say that:
Auto mode = point, shoot and print (or view)
where RAW would be a complication not appreciated (or understood) by many
auto users?

Here is the UK there is a magazine entitled PhotoPlus which is aimed at the
newcomer to photography who never encountered a manual-control (i.e. no auto
modes and probably no autofocus) before.
They show a fascinating viewpoint of photography and I suspect that many
newcomers to the hobby find it difficult to understand the nuances of
aperture or shutter priority and manual focussing (that's certainly true of
one of the staff of the magazine).

Regards, Ian.
Nottingham, UK.

Old July 13th 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 12:29:22 +0100, "Fred Anonymous" wrote:
: "Poldie" _.@._ wrote in message
: ...
:
[...]

My wife and I both have XTi's, and except in very unusual circumstances, we
shoot only RAW. Sometimes my wife will shoot several pictures that come out as
JPEGs. I'll find that her camera was set to one of the "auto" modes, but she
won't remember setting it that way. We finally figured out that one of the
fingers of her right hand must be hitting the mode wheel as she sets up for
the shot.

I was puzzled by the fact that on the 40D, whose controls are otherwise quite
similar to those of the XTi, the mode wheel has been moved to the left of the
viewfinder. Now I guess I know why.

Bob