Seeking a Master Printing Workshop

Old February 2nd 04, 12:54 AM
Ken Smith

Default Seeking a Master Printing Workshop

I'm interested in finding a master printing workshop, or private
instruction. I would like to find a true master printer that is not
1.) alternative process oriented 2.) masking oriented 3.) toner
oriented 4.) or any other whistle and gong. My idea of a great printer
in the silver process is one who can make prints from my negatives
that I never thought possible, without resorting to anything fancy,
even including bleach. I don't usually care for spectacular, punchy
images. I'm far more interested in long tones that retain richness of
contrast, and evenness. Seemlessly evening things out , and juggling
twenty areas without going through a whole box of paper, is more my
problem. Of course an alternative process printer may be the best man
out there, but I am not interested in launching into yet another
materials oriented technique with its promises when my underlining
skills have not been resolved. Time by the way has not resolved the
impass. I started printing in 1973.

Too tall an order? It's my feeling that I am making above average
prints, but my working approach is somehow flawed, and the exceptional
is too rarely acheived, even though the negatives are well under
control, (thanks to Pyrocat.) All these other approaches I'm sure have
their place, but I want to first acheive exceptional straight forward
printing. Some people might say I
have done just that, as I've been hired several times to print shows
and portfolios. I feel however that I am at best an 8 out of 10 and am
struggling to close the gap.

I can no longer justify ten to twenty sheets of paper per print, even
though many printers will say that's exactly average. I say, how is
anyone supposed to get portfolios together when hundreds and hundreds
of dollars end up in the trash? So...does anybody know of a great
printer that has a workshop, or would perhaps even take on a private
few sessions that address a master level of silver printmaking, and
does not spend 90% of the class on basics, or veer off into elaborate
techniques?
Old February 2nd 04, 01:41 AM
Tom Thackrey

On 1-Feb-2004, (Ken Smith) wrote:

[...]

I'm sure there are many others, but on the left coast of the US I think a
private class with Rod Dresser (
www.roddresser.com) would be a pretty good
investment. I took one of his darkroom workshops through UCSC Extension and
it was excellent. Rod was trained by Ansel Adams and has the science and
technology as well as the art POV.

You could also contact William Giles (www.williamgiles.com) and see if you
can talk him into a private class. He's more old school (no exposure
analyzers) but he's a magician in the darkroom. I had a private darkroom
session one day from Will, he's amazing. He can help you take your art to a
new level. Black & White is going to have a big article on Will in the next
issue.

My experience with public workshops in general, is that they tend to have a
few beginners who usually distract the instructor and dilute the content.

--
Tom Thackrey
www.creative-light.com
Old February 2nd 04, 02:03 AM
John

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 00:41:07 GMT, "Tom Thackrey"
wrote:

I'm sure there are many others, but on the left coast of the US I think a
private class with Rod Dresser (www.roddresser.com) would be a pretty good
investment.

I certainly concur about RD. I had the pleasure of meeting him
in Feb. '94 when he gave a seminar for Calumet in Philadelphia, PA.
His images are fabulous and skill probably matches Adams if not
surpasses him. Unfortunately most of his photography leaves me
scratching my head.

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.darkroompro.com
Please remove the "_" when replying via email
Old February 2nd 04, 04:37 PM
Ken Smith

"Tom Thackrey" wrote in message . com...
?

[...]

Thanks very much for the suggestions. These guys sound like what I'm
looking for.
I've always suspected and have never taken a workshop for a few good
reasons. One
being exactly what you said. I don't want to pay big money to listen
to a bunch of
people oohh and ahhh the instructors every gesture while a tiny
fraction of the whole
deal hints at my actual problem.

Thanks again, Ken
Smith
Old February 2nd 04, 11:55 PM
HypoBob

John Sexton would be another good choice.

Bob
------------------------

Old February 3rd 04, 01:42 PM
Tom Phillips

Gregory W Blank wrote:

In article ,
Chris Ellinger wrote:
It is my impression from taking several of Howard's workshops that he
is not dogmatic about any technique, and is an expert printer --
masking or not. This is why I suggested that the original poster
contact Howard to discuss his interests and requirements.

Chris Ellinger
Ann Arbor, MI

Fair enough, I BTW would personally love to take Howard's
Workshops,.....he does some pretty incredible printing. I even thought
about mentioning the workshops myself until I read the OP part about
not wanting to do masking. In any event

Bond's masking workshop is apparently specific to just masking
technique. I've never taken it but I've seen some remarkable Bond prints
using that technique. He has other workshops including Zone System, View
Camera, and one called "Refinements in Black and White Printing."