First images with my infrared converted 350D

Old November 27th 06, 10:32 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.art
Wayne J. Cosshall

Default First images with my infrared converted 350D

Hi All,

I received my 350D back which was being converted to IR only shooting by
LDP. My first shots with it are up at:
http://experimentaldigitalphotography.com/2006/11/27/first-light-with-my-350d-converted-to-ir-only/
or
http://tinyurl.com/yec2sf

Cheers,

Wayne

Wayne J. Cosshall
Publisher, Experimental Digital Photography
http://www.experimentaldigitalphotography.com
Coordindinator of Studies, Multimedia and Photomedia, Australian Academy
of Design
Personal art site http://www.artinyourface.com/
Old November 27th 06, 11:50 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.art
fauger

http://s6.metaldamage.pl/c.php?uid=116048

Old November 27th 06, 01:44 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.art
Celcius

"fauger" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://s6.metaldamage.pl/c.php?uid=116048

?????????????????????????????????????????????

Old November 27th 06, 01:49 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.art
Celcius

"DaveJarvis" wrote in message
Celcius wrote:
"fauger" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://s6.metaldamage.pl/c.php?uid=116048

?????????????????????????????????????????????

Least it was better then a Rocha pic

LOL...................;-))))))))))))))))))

Old November 27th 06, 01:57 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.art
DaveJarvis

Celcius wrote:
ups.com...

Old November 27th 06, 06:34 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.art
RichA

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
Hi All,

I received my 350D back which was being converted to IR only shooting by
LDP. My first shots with it are up at:
http://experimentaldigitalphotography.com/2006/11/27/first-light-with-my-350d-converted-to-ir-only/
or
http://tinyurl.com/yec2sf

Cheers,

Wayne

Very impressive compared to a conventional filtered camera.

Old November 27th 06, 06:45 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.art
Arnor

Hi Wayne,

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:

I received my 350D back which was being converted to IR only shooting by
LDP. My first shots with it are up at:
http://experimentaldigitalphotography.com/2006/11/27/first-light-with-my-350d-converted-to-ir-only/
or
http://tinyurl.com/yec2sf

Looks pretty impressive to me! Any word on how much the conversion
costs? Do I understand it correctly that now this is a IR camera only,
i.e. you can't really take normal light photos on it any more?

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas

Old November 27th 06, 09:21 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.art
Wayne J. Cosshall

Arnor wrote:
Hi Wayne,

Looks pretty impressive to me! Any word on how much the conversion
costs? Do I understand it correctly that now this is a IR camera only,
i.e. you can't really take normal light photos on it any more?

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas

Mine was done by LDP (www.maxmax.com)
The 350D conversion is US$450 + return shipping. Turn around time is
very fast.

Yes, mine is now an IR only body. You have a choice. When they remove
the IR blocking filter they can fit either a clear glass replacement (to
ensure autofocus still works) or install an IR filter. With the clear
glass (what LDP label IR+Visible conversion) you then can shoot normally
in visible light (but may need an IR blocking filter on the lens for
colors to come out right) or a visible blocking filter to shoot IR.
Since with the visible light blocking filter in place you can't look
through the SLR, it is a problem for SLR conversions. With the IR-only
conversion they mount a visible light blocking filter in the camera, so
I can shoot IR and still see clearly through the viewfinder, a plus for me.

Given the possibilities, I bought a 400D to replace my 350D and decided
to have the 350D converted to IR only.

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Old November 27th 06, 10:55 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.art
Arnor

Hi Wayne,

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
Yes, mine is now an IR only body. You have a choice. When they remove

Thanks a lot for the link and info - I've bookmarked the link for
future reference. I will probably first go with IR filters and see how
that comes out, just to get some feel for it. IR is something I want
to look at later down the road, so I don't want put in a lot of
resources into it right now. Have you done anything with IR filters
and if so, do you have any comparisons that you'd like to share?

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas

Old November 27th 06, 11:19 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.art
Wayne J. Cosshall

Arnor wrote:
Hi Wayne,

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
Yes, mine is now an IR only body. You have a choice. When they remove

Thanks a lot for the link and info - I've bookmarked the link for
future reference. I will probably first go with IR filters and see how
that comes out, just to get some feel for it. IR is something I want
to look at later down the road, so I don't want put in a lot of
resources into it right now. Have you done anything with IR filters
and if so, do you have any comparisons that you'd like to share?

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas

Have a look on my other site:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/digitalir/digitalir.php
There are several articles on IR with digital cameras and then tests of
all the recent cameras I've had through for testing, unconverted, using
a Hoya R72 IR filter for the shooting. They should give you a good idea
of what you can get. All digital cameras can shoot in IR, just the
exposures can be very long if they have a strong IR blocking filter
installed, as most do.

Definitely give it ago. R72 filters are not expensive, at least in the
smaller sizes, or there are alternatives in the Kodak Wratten gel
filters and Cokin resin filters.

Hope it helps and let me see the results when you start experimenting.

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall