Why I love digital

Old March 27th 05, 03:13 PM
mike regish

That's what I thought. I was really impressed with all the info it displays.
That helps a WHOLE lot when experimenting with different settings. I used to
try to keep a written log with film, but that was a total pain.

And yes, the first thing I did was set the date/time. :-)

mike

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message

EXIF is basically a record of the camera settings, manual and automatic,
for each picture, along with the exact time of the picture (assuming you
keep the clock set correctly).

--
Ron Hunter

Old March 27th 05, 03:22 PM
mike regish

I was looking at the IS lenses when the Rebel first came out. They're not
cheap, but when I saw that the Minolta had it built into the body, I was
sold...well, at least I was sold after reading several reviews. That makes
ALL the lenses I eventually collect IS.

I think for aerial stuff my 24-105 out to 105 will be about the max
practical focal length, but I want to get the 200mm f2.8 for airshows and
other ground based stuff- maybe with next years tax return. I figure that
should work well with the anti shake and a monopod, which I much prefer to a
tripod. After playing around with this lens for a while, I may also get a
fixed focal length somewhere around 80 to 100mm but a little faster for
aerial stuff. At about 80mm on this lens, I can stay at about 1500' and
still get a small area with good detail, but I'd still like more. That may
be more a function of megapixels than lens, though.

BTW, good rule of thumb for shutter speed/focal length. Thanks.

mike

"Andy" wrote in message

For aerial staff Canon has an army of Image Stabilizing ( anti shake)
lenses which covers every focal length starting from 17 mm to 600 mm.
Internal camera's anti shake system can not handle heavy lenses, so Canon
beats Nikon for a couple of stops. I also love Canon's Eye control system
available in many Canon's cameras. It allows me perfectly compose motion
pictures what is not possible with other cameras having automatic focus
system without manual prefocusing. My Canon 3 focuses for every thing I
look through my viewfinder, it perfectly tracks a moving subjects and IS
lenses help me reduce blurs caused by camera shake while handholding.
Simply amazing, I would not forgive myself if I invested in Nikon system
when I was making my final decision.

Regardless handholding. To avoid blurred pictures you should use shutter
speed equal or shorter than lens length. For example 1/60 s for 50 mm
lens. 1/125 s for 100 mm lens, 1/500 s for 500 mm lens....

Old March 27th 05, 03:24 PM
mike regish

It is clutzy for a while, but you get used to it. When I'm at an airshow or
some all day event, it's much easier to hang it, but you do have to be aware
that it's there. I guess that's another reason I like the weight.

mike

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message

I never have been able to deal with a neckstrap. For one thing, it makes
me feel hot all the time, and for another, I can't imagine hanging a
camera around my neck so that any time I bend forward to look as
something, the lens of the camera slams into whatever is below my head...
That's one reason I won't buy a camera I can't pocket.

--
Ron Hunter

Old March 27th 05, 03:28 PM
Alan Browne

mike regish wrote:

Out of 104 shots there were maybe a half dozen that were too blurred to use,
but I knew I was getting bounced too much for any stabilization system to
take it out. The shutter fires the instant you push it and the antishake
takes out all but the worst bumps.

The shutter has a delay of 100 - 200 ms. On the Maxxum 9 it is about
50-60ms.

If I ever figure out how to put up a halfway decent website, I'll post some.
This camera brings back the parts I missed about my Nikon 8008s, and it does
pretty much everything better than even that camera.

The 7D is an excellent camera for shooting. It is not perfect and I
hope K-M sharpen up on their next go around. My Kudos and complaints
are he and this will be added to as time goes on.

There are still a lot of options I've got to check out, but basic operation
with a lot of flexibility can be mastered in a couple of hours.

I've shot some 300 test frames and 1100+ phots in the past two weeks.
All in "M". All manual focus (except some of the test shots). IOW I
use it pretty much the same way as my film camera (in which I've shot
two rolls of slides in the same period). The only difference is chimping.

Cheers,
Alan

Old March 27th 05, 03:35 PM
Scott W

mike regish wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey Mike,

It sounds like you are having a great time with you camera.

I love it. I'll be having a ball learning all the little things it

can do.

So when you were shooting from the air where you the one flying?

Yep. I've got a nice stable plane with a little window I can flip

down and
stick the lens out. It pretty much flies hands off even in somewhat

bumpy
air.

Neat,
Here is a photo I took just over 20 years ago, from an ultra-Light I
was flying.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/41292158/original
There were no windows to worry about, but the ultra-light did not fly
itself and my camera took two hands to use, you would kind of see the
ground coming up through the view finder.

The problem was if you let go of the controls the engine would throttle
back to an idle and you would start gliding down.

I would have loved to have had a digital camera while I was still
flying that thing.

I will love to see you photos when you get some up loaded.

Scott

Old March 27th 05, 03:42 PM
Alan Browne

retoohs wrote:

Great camera ike. I've had mine a couple of months now. If you plan on
using it with the 5600HS flash you will have to send them both in to the
techs to get the Pre-Flash adjusted.

Or simply set the flash manually.

Old March 27th 05, 03:43 PM
Alan Browne

mike regish wrote:

That sux. I noticed the little cap for the flash doesn't come off readily. I
won't force it and I haven't read through the whole manual yet, but I was
planning on getting a better flash for it as the one on it seems pretty
weak. What do you mean by "techs"? Does it have to go back to the
manufacturer?

Also, I got kind of a scare the first couple of times I used the flash. It
kind of makes a sound like electrical arcing, but I think it's just the
sound it makes for the preflash. Is that what yours does, too? And is that a
programmed camera sound or just the sound of the capacitor?

The preflash makes a little 'tic' noise.

Don't worry about removing the cap. It takes a strong shove.

Old March 27th 05, 03:46 PM
Alan Browne

I forgot the link in my prev. post.

Alan Browne wrote:

The 7D is an excellent camera for shooting. It is not perfect and I
hope K-M sharpen up on their next go around. My Kudos and complaints
are he http://www.aliasimages.com/Max7Drev.htm
and this will be added to as time goes on.

Old March 27th 05, 03:50 PM
Alan Browne

Ron Hunter wrote:

Siggy wrote:

Ron Hunter wrote:

Don't forget one of the best features of digital for learning,
the EXIF data to tell you WHY your picture didn't look like it
should!

Histogram?

No, the EXIF data is all about camera settings, not image content.

He meant looking at the histogram after a shot to verify
placement as an aid to learning.

Also, in RAW import you can get the histogram, and in PS viewing a
reasonable facimile of it if you captured in RAW.

Old March 27th 05, 04:14 PM
Alan Browne

mike regish wrote:

them. The dial controls on top have a locking button that you have to press
in order to turn them. I think I could live without these as you're unlikely
to turn them unintentionally, but this is about the only thing that's the

This is one of my biggest complaints about the 7D. I have the 9, no
locks. Never out of position. (The exp comp has a lock, but it can be
left unlocked. The 7D is always locked).

Cheers,
Alan