xD memory cards? (newbie question)

Old November 26th 04, 07:28 PM
Pattern-chaser

Default xD memory cards? (newbie question)

I plan to buy a Konica Minolta Dimage Z3 in the New Year, when the
post-Christmas prices have fallen. [Good plan, eh? ;-) ] About the only
thing I'm concerned about is that it used xD memory cards. These seem to
be twice the price of all the other types. Is there a cheaper
alternative I can use, CompactFlash, SecureDigital, etc?

Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Old November 26th 04, 08:02 PM
Harvey

"Pattern-chaser" wrote in
message ...
I plan to buy a Konica Minolta Dimage Z3 in the New Year, when the
post-Christmas prices have fallen. [Good plan, eh? ;-) ]

Assuming they do - at the moment here in the UK prices are the lowest
they've ever been - I'd be surprised if they drop much straight after
Christmas

About the only thing I'm concerned about is that it used xD memory cards.
These seem to be twice the price of all the other types. Is there a
cheaper alternative I can use, CompactFlash, SecureDigital, etc?

Actually -according to
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/mi...ew/index.shtml
"The Z3 can use SD or MMC (MultiMediaCard) formats, though you'll want to
use the former due to its superior capacity and performance. The camera does
take advantage of high speed SD cards (you'll really notice the difference
when the camera saves a sequence of shots to the card) and one is
recommended for the high quality movie mode."

SD cards are too expensive - a lot cheaper than XD's that's for sure,
http://www.aria.co.uk/specials.asp?productid=15846 currently have a 1GB card
for £52.82 inc.

Old November 26th 04, 08:19 PM
Harvey

[..]
SD cards are too expensive - a lot cheaper than XD's that's for sure,
http://www.aria.co.uk/specials.asp?productid=15846 currently have a 1GB
card for £52.82 inc.

errr - make that "SD cards AREN'T too expensive...."

Old November 26th 04, 08:28 PM
Pattern-chaser

Harvey wrote:
[..]

SD cards are too expensive - a lot cheaper than XD's that's for sure,
http://www.aria.co.uk/specials.asp?productid=15846 currently have a 1GB
card for £52.82 inc.

errr - make that "SD cards AREN'T too expensive...."

So SD and xD are the same thing? Thanks, Harvey.

Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Old November 26th 04, 08:58 PM
JohnR

"Pattern-chaser" wrote in
message ...
Harvey wrote:
[..]

SD cards are too expensive - a lot cheaper than XD's that's for sure,
http://www.aria.co.uk/specials.asp?productid=15846 currently have a 1GB
card for £52.82 inc.

errr - make that "SD cards AREN'T too expensive...."

So SD and xD are the same thing? Thanks, Harvey.

Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

No, xD is a different animal. Prices seem to vary more with xD. Shop around.
John