Snapshots of Afghanistan - August 2009

Old August 26th 09, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Kulvinder Singh Matharu

Default Snapshots of Afghanistan - August 2009

I've just returned from a trip around Afghanistan and have put some
of the more decent photos online here using a Flash-based engine:

http://www.ninjatrek.com/

You will need to select "Album" from the menu and then click on
"Afghanistan". From the "View" option you can adjust the
functionality of the presentation.

I took the following equipment:

1. Nikon D700 camera + 2 x 32GB CF cards + four batteries
2. Nikon AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8D IF ED
3. Nikon AF-S VR 105mm f/2.8G IF ED Micro
4. Nikon AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF ED

However, I soon dropped my 70-300mm lens into the bottom of a lake so
was left with the 17-35mm lens and the 105mm lens for most of my
shoots which was a bit of a challenge; I just had to re-adjust my
photographic mind set and use my feet a bit more!

The dust was incredible. It was constant and it was everywhere. Had
to be very careful with keeping the sensor clean, but I guess the
only real problem suffered was getting some dust into the lenses but
that was easily dusted off. I just need to clean the camera and
lenses now as they're looking in a bit of a state.

The camera performed well and I had no reliability issues with the
camera, lenses, batteries or CF cards. It was only the stupidity on
my part which resulted in the loss of the 70-300mm lens...I should
really use a proper lightweight camera jacket that can securely carry
these lenses. Any suggestions?
--
Kulvinder Singh Matharu

Website : www.metalvortex.com
Contact : www.metalvortex.com/contact/

"Brain" and "brain"! What is "brain"?!
Old August 26th 09, 06:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Kulvinder Singh Matharu wrote:
I've just returned from a trip around Afghanistan and have put some
of the more decent photos online here using a Flash-based engine:

http://www.ninjatrek.com/

Wonderful collection. There are many noteworthy shots, I esp. like the
two kids with the other kids OOF and in the dust behind.

Your "portraits" of people are too static and posed (although very
detailed and rich), so shots like the farmers working tell us more about
the people than a mere impromptu portrait. More of that and less of the
posed shots would have been welcome.
Old August 26th 09, 06:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_4_]

On 2009-08-26 09:57:39 -0700, Kulvinder Singh Matharu
said:

I've just returned from a trip around Afghanistan and have put some
of the more decent photos online here using a Flash-based engine:

http://www.ninjatrek.com/

You will need to select "Album" from the menu and then click on
"Afghanistan". From the "View" option you can adjust the
functionality of the presentation.

I took the following equipment:

1. Nikon D700 camera + 2 x 32GB CF cards + four batteries
2. Nikon AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8D IF ED
3. Nikon AF-S VR 105mm f/2.8G IF ED Micro
4. Nikon AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF ED

Nice collection of pretty interesting shots.

However, I soon dropped my 70-300mm lens into the bottom of a lake so
was left with the 17-35mm lens and the 105mm lens for most of my
shoots which was a bit of a challenge; I just had to re-adjust my
photographic mind set and use my feet a bit more!

The dust was incredible. It was constant and it was everywhere. Had
to be very careful with keeping the sensor clean, but I guess the
only real problem suffered was getting some dust into the lenses but
that was easily dusted off. I just need to clean the camera and
lenses now as they're looking in a bit of a state.

The camera performed well and I had no reliability issues with the
camera, lenses, batteries or CF cards. It was only the stupidity on
my part which resulted in the loss of the 70-300mm lens...I should
really use a proper lightweight camera jacket that can securely carry
these lenses. Any suggestions?

There are a few multi-pocket photog vests available from a number of
manufacturers
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Ve...8/N/4291634333

Then there belt systems such as ThinkTank's
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_MdlrSet.php

Savageduck

Old August 26th 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Kulvinder Singh Matharu

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:02:55 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

[snip]
Wonderful collection. There are many noteworthy shots, I esp. like the
two kids with the other kids OOF and in the dust behind.

That's one of my favourites too.

Your "portraits" of people are too static and posed (although very
detailed and rich), so shots like the farmers working tell us more about
the people than a mere impromptu portrait. More of that and less of the
posed shots would have been welcome.

I know. But it's really hard taking candid shots when you become the
centre of attraction and everyone starts ogling the large camera
around my neck...there is much to be said for having a small P&S
camera. The new Canon G11 sounds good...!

Old August 26th 09, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Elliott Roper

In article , Kulvinder
Singh Matharu wrote:

I've just returned from a trip around Afghanistan and have put some
of the more decent photos online here using a Flash-based engine:

http://www.ninjatrek.com/

Thanks. Wonderful. Beautiful.

Why are us Western idiots bombing the B'Jasus out of those beautiful
people? I don't care if they look static and posed. I'd like to be able
to sit down and hear their story, just after looking at their faces.
Why can't we just get along?

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248
Old August 26th 09, 08:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan[_8_]

Wow, Kulvinder, beautiful pictures. There were so many favorites I
didn't see all of them yet but so far the two I liked the best, wished
I had taken, were the Chinese Junk in the Hong Kong Harbor and the
picture from Amsterdam. Both of them got me up in my chair. There
were lots of others too but those are the dramatic ones that I will
remember. I also loved the panoramics of the Falls.

I looked at your painting and it's very interesting.

After seeing your pictures of Afghanistan I was going to buy the Nikon
AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF ED. I have the older non VR version.
Those pictures were terrific but then I read you really didn't have it
for Afghanistan but I may buy it anyway because of all the other
wonderful pictures. Borneo was great too.

Alan

Old August 27th 09, 11:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Kulvinder Singh Matharu

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:37:36 -0700 (PDT), Pinaki
wrote:

[snip]
Beautiful land, beautiful people, beautiful pictures - thanks a lot
for sharing. I liked best no. 6 (the little girl smiling from behind
the women in burkha). What lake is that? - looks stunning. And
what building is it in no. 42?

The lakes are at Band-e-Amir and are a really rich blue colour. I've
got other shots of the lake which contrast very well against the red
of the rocks...I may put one of those online at some point.

http://wikimapia.org/836051/Band-e-Amir
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band-e_Amir

The building in No 42 (I think you mean 43)...this is in the "Old
City" area of the town of Herat...there aren't too many covered
bazaars in Afghanistan. Herat has a handful of medieval covered
bazaars and some are being demolished to make way for modern
buildings (weak building regulations). Luckily, this covered bazaar
had recently been renovated.

Old August 27th 09, 12:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

What took you to Afghanistan? You have done some interesting trips
Sorry about the lens.

Walter..

Old August 27th 09, 06:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2009-08-26 11:48:43 -0700, Elliott Roper said:

In article , Kulvinder
Singh Matharu wrote:

I've just returned from a trip around Afghanistan and have put some
of the more decent photos online here using a Flash-based engine:

http://www.ninjatrek.com/

Thanks. Wonderful. Beautiful.

Why are us Western idiots bombing the B'Jasus out of those beautiful
people? I don't care if they look static and posed. I'd like to be able
to sit down and hear their story, just after looking at their faces.
Why can't we just get along?

Something about freeing them from an oppressive regime called the
Taliban which made Hitler's Germany look like a children's choir.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old August 27th 09, 07:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Kulvinder Singh Matharu

wrote:

[snip]
Beautiful land, beautiful people, beautiful pictures - thanks a lot
for sharing. I liked best no. 6 (the little girl smiling from behind
the women in burkha). What lake is that? - looks stunning. And
what building is it in no. 42?

I've added some new photos (so the numbering is all changed) but I
have also managed to put some brief descriptions against each of the
photos so hopefully that should help to answer any further questions!