First images with my infrared converted 350D

Old January 19th 07, 09:07 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.art
Toni Nikkanen

Default First images with my infrared converted 350D

"Rich" writes:

Yes, flower pictures are interesting, giving you a view of how some
insects see them.
You just need the right filter to cut out the rest of the light. I
think B&W makes some.

A big part of the problem is the lens. A normal glass lens won't
let much UV through and special UV lenses cost like hell - and I'll
be glad to be proven wrong about this.
Old January 19th 07, 09:59 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.art
Wayne J. Cosshall

Toni Nikkanen wrote:
"Rich" writes:

Yes, flower pictures are interesting, giving you a view of how some
insects see them.
You just need the right filter to cut out the rest of the light. I
think B&W makes some.

A big part of the problem is the lens. A normal glass lens won't
let much UV through and special UV lenses cost like hell - and I'll
be glad to be proven wrong about this.

True about UV. Thankfully that doesn't apply to the infrared end of the
spectrum where the lenses mostly work fine.

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Old January 19th 07, 10:02 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.art
Toni Nikkanen

"Wayne J. Cosshall" writes:

A big part of the problem is the lens. A normal glass lens won't
let much UV through and special UV lenses cost like hell - and I'll
be glad to be proven wrong about this.

True about UV. Thankfully that doesn't apply to the infrared end of
the spectrum where the lenses mostly work fine.

UV is of special interest to me because my girlfriend is doing
research on how birds use their UV vision for finding food. Being able
to take UV photographs of her test setups might be enlightening or at
least fun.
Old January 19th 07, 04:22 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.art
darkroommike

Default UV lenses was First images with my infrared converted 350D

Hasselblad made a special version of their 120 for the
C-series (aka V-series) using quartz lens elements that was
touted as a uv lens, so you find a used version of the lens,
a v-to-h adapter and a H digital (or a C-to-Nikon!) and you
are good to go. I'm guessing $20,000 to $40,000 USD but
you'll really impress the girlfriend. I also found
reference to a UV-105 Nikkor

Flowers, birds and bees seem to do it without any hardware!
but try http://www.naturfotograf.com/UV_IR_rev05.html
titled "All You Ever Wanted to Know About Digital UV and IR
Photography, But Could Not Afford to Ask". Ain't Google grand!

darkroommike

Old January 20th 07, 06:05 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.art
Toni Nikkanen

darkroommike writes:

Hasselblad made a special version of their 120 for the C-series (aka
V-series) using quartz lens elements that was touted as a uv lens, so
you find a used version of the lens, a v-to-h adapter and a H digital
(or a C-to-Nikon!) and you are good to go. I'm guessing $20,000 to
$40,000 USD but you'll really impress the girlfriend. I also found
reference to a UV-105 Nikkor

If I spent $20k-$40k for that she'd think I am the dumbest man
alive But at least she wouldn't have to kill me as they would
be my own money..

Flowers, birds and bees seem to do it without any hardware!

They have all kinds of neat optical instruments built-in, like
polarization filters.

but try http://www.naturfotograf.com/UV_IR_rev05.html titled "All You
Ever Wanted to Know About Digital UV and IR Photography, But Could Not
Afford to Ask". Ain't Google grand!

I think I've been to that web page before but I didn't notice the
instructions for modifying your own UV lens, so thanks! I have given
some thought previously to the idea of taking a lens with as few glass
elements as possible, but hadn't considered the need for removing the
coating as well.