Sudden CF price drops?

Old February 9th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Sudden CF price drops?

Last Thursday I was pricing CF cards, in the 1 to 2 GB range. I'd
pretty much decided on the SanDisk Extreme III model, and was trying to
make up my mind to go for a pair of 1GBs for $103 each, or spring for a
single 2GB at $220.

Sometimes I procrastinate horribly. For a change, it paid off. I went
to place my order today, and found that the 1GB unti had dropped to
$75, while the 2GB was half of last weeks price - just $110.

Did something happen in the world of memory chips that I don't know
about? Whatever the case, I'm very glad that I waited. Went for the 2GB
model, and happy to get it at that price!

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old February 9th 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Eric Schreiber wrote:

Did something happen in the world of memory chips that I don't know
about? Whatever the case, I'm very glad that I waited. Went for the
2GB model, and happy to get it at that price!

Gee, I hope SD prices are about to plummet also! I've been procrastinating
about getting a biggish one. Nice when procrastination pays off (it often
doesn't).

--
ant

Old February 9th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

I still have a couple of 128 Meg cards lying around somewhere that I
paid $120 US *each* for three or four years ago. They were a real
bargen then.

Hehe, I still have the receipt for my 32MB SD card. $49.99CDN four years
ago. Just bought a 1GB the other day for $75CDN.

Steve

Old February 9th 06, 10:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 04:43:14 GMT, "Steve Mackie" wrote:

I still have a couple of 128 Meg cards lying around somewhere that I
paid $120 US *each* for three or four years ago. They were a real
bargen then.

Hehe, I still have the receipt for my 32MB SD card. $49.99CDN four years
ago. Just bought a 1GB the other day for $75CDN.

Bargain!

I purchased some 8 meg SM cards for $100 each around 6 years ago.

Old February 9th 06, 10:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Eric Schreiber" eric at ericschreiber dot com wrote in message ...
Last Thursday I was pricing CF cards, in the 1 to 2 GB range. I'd
pretty much decided on the SanDisk Extreme III model, and was trying to
make up my mind to go for a pair of 1GBs for $103 each, or spring for a
single 2GB at $220.

Sometimes I procrastinate horribly. For a change, it paid off. I went
to place my order today, and found that the 1GB unti had dropped to
$75, while the 2GB was half of last weeks price - just $110.

Did something happen in the world of memory chips that I don't know
about?

February is usually a good month to buy memory and many other
gadgets. Most computer and electronics manufacturers have two
product rollouts a year, March and September (or thereabouts).
February is a lull period where backstock is reduced in price to
make way for the new stuff.

Old February 9th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Jim Townsend wrote:

They've been dropping constantly from day one :-)

Well, sure, but 50% in less than a week? Not that I'm complaining!

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old February 9th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Rick S. wrote:

February is usually a good month to buy memory and many other
gadgets.

Hmmm. Maybe I should window shop at NewEgg today

February is a lull period where backstock is reduced in price to
make way for the new stuff.

Isn't memory also a commodity item? I was thinking maybe the price drop
is partly due to post-Xmas. Demand is high prior to the holidays, and
for a few weeks after as everyone realizes they need memory for their
new gadgets.

--
www.ericschreiber.com

Old February 9th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Barry K wrote:

Where did you find these prices? A quick search on the web returns
at least $200 for the 2GB....

Sorry, meant to include that in the post. I bought from B&H, though I
saw that Amazon's price had also dropped (though not nearly as far).

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old February 9th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Barry K wrote:
Where did you find these prices? A quick search on the web returns at least
$200 for the 2GB....

A quick search at B&H showed Sandisk 2GB Ultra II for $90 and Extreme
III for $110. The 4GB Ultra II card is only $180.

--
John