7" dagor cells

Old June 8th 04, 10:46 PM
Andrew Frith

Default 7" dagor cells

I guess this might be a question for Richard...

I have both the front and rear cell for a 7" goerz double-anastigmat
(seriesIII no.2)....i dont have the barrel for it..just the cells. the lens
threads are 45mm, any ideas on what kind of shutter i might look out for to
put these in? does anyone else have this lens? wondering how theirs is
mounted?

I have used sk grimes once in the past to remount a barrel lens into a
shutter and their work was excellent, just wondering if its worth trying to
save a bit of money first before I consider sending it off to the grimes
boys?

-andrew

Old June 11th 04, 07:38 PM
P. MacGahan

Andrew Frith wrote in message ...
I guess this might be a question for Richard...

I have both the front and rear cell for a 7" goerz double-anastigmat
(seriesIII no.2)....i dont have the barrel for it..just the cells. the lens
threads are 45mm, any ideas on what kind of shutter i might look out for to
put these in? does anyone else have this lens? wondering how theirs is
mounted?

I have used sk grimes once in the past to remount a barrel lens into a
shutter and their work was excellent, just wondering if its worth trying to
save a bit of money first before I consider sending it off to the grimes
boys?

-andrew

It's hard to know where to start. A good 7" Dagor is a fine lens. It
also appeals to me to try to put it to good use. Mine is mounted
in a Rapax shutter and has excellent performance. Still, I see a few
problems with your project.

A very basic problem is that my lens looks rather poor and only cost
$50. Whether the effort you spend to find the excellent work you will
need to make a proper installation exceeds the work you would have to do
to find an inexpensive Dagor already mounted is a point to consider.

Also consider you need to address a quality control issue. Is yours
an excellent Dagor? Can you test it before investing in all the work?
If you find a lens assembled in a shutter it is not much work to test
it before agreeing to a purchase (assuming the seller is willing).

One temptation would be to find the shutter you need on the used market
(perhaps with damaged cells already installed). A trap here is that I
notice that sometimes Dagors come with different threads (for example, I have
2, 8.25" Dagors with different threads). You may also wish to note that
my 7" Dagor has about 35.5mm threads on the rear element and 40.5 mm on
the front element. This suggests to me that a Rapax would not necessarily
be the ideal shutter for your lens.