What is available for WA for 8x10

Old April 27th 04, 11:00 AM
AArDvarK

Default What is available for WA for 8x10

In my infinite quest for infinite ways to spend money on a hobby,
I now need to know what is available for WA for a 8x10 format
camera. I am a WA user (24mm or less) in the 35 mm world. I am
now foraging into the 8x10 realm. Any suggestions for a lens
with lots of coverage?

A simple base approach, simplisticly, normal lens on a
35mm camera = 50mm, for an 8x10 it's 300mm.

1/2 of 50mm = 25mm, 24mm actual for your wide angle,
1/2 of 300mm = a 150mm on 8x10. and simply so forth.

Alex

Old April 27th 04, 05:15 PM
RSD99

Zeiss ?
Super Angulon ?

IIRC make that Schneider ... 121mm Super Angulon.

"jjs" wrote in message ...

If you don't need movements, the Zeiss 121mm Super Angulon.

Old April 27th 04, 06:14 PM
jjs

"RSD99" wrote in message
Zeiss ?
Super Angulon ?

IIRC make that Schneider ... 121mm Super Angulon.

Gawd I hate it when I screw up like that!
I own the darned lens and messed up!

Duh. I'm "visual". Yeah, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

(Thanks for the correction.)

Old April 27th 04, 06:43 PM
RSD99

"jjs" posted:
"... I'm "visual". Yeah, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. ..."

[HeHeHeHeHe ...]

Old April 27th 04, 06:46 PM
sympatico.ca

"AArDvarK" wrote in message

In my infinite quest for infinite ways to spend money on a hobby,
I now need to know what is available for WA for a 8x10 format
camera. I am a WA user (24mm or less) in the 35 mm world. I am
now foraging into the 8x10 realm. Any suggestions for a lens
with lots of coverage?

A simple base approach, simplisticly, normal lens on a
35mm camera = 50mm, for an 8x10 it's 300mm.

1/2 of 50mm = 25mm, 24mm actual for your wide angle,
1/2 of 300mm = a 150mm on 8x10. and simply so forth.

Alex

depending on how you measure/compare it (image diagonal/different
proportions and so on) 24mm in 35mm equates to around 173mm to 194mm in
8x10.

(useful excel tool here http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/lenses3.html - you can
download it )

There is also the feeling that many have (purely illusiory) that they don't
need to use a lens as wide with 8x10 as they do with smaller fomats.

24mm is a much used lens by me in 35mm. In 8x10 my 210mm or 250mm often seem
plenty wide enough. my 159mm/165mm lenses seem REALLY wide.....

Old April 28th 04, 05:23 AM
Kirk Fry

So folks, as long as we are doing this, what is the widest lens ever
made that will cover an 8X10 negative? Don't forget the Goerz
Hypergon's (sp?) with the little windmill thingy. Any fisheye's out
there? And oh, there is tin foil with a hole punched in it.

Kirk

Old April 28th 04, 05:57 AM
Kirk Fry

Mo Widest lens ever made to cover 8X10. My entry:
Goerz
Hypergon No. Focal MM Format inches 1914 Price
0 60 5x7 $43.50
000a 75 8 x 10 $49.00
0 90 10 x 12 $52.50
0 120 12 x 16 $62.00
1 150 16 x 20 $72.50
2a 200 24 x 28 $91.00
000a w/o Star 75 5 x 7 $44.00
00 w/o Star 90 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 $47.50
0 w/o Star 120 8 x 10 $54.50

A 75 mm 000a Goerz Hypergon with Star fan. Don't you wish your Great
Grandfather had bought a dozen and put them in a lock box for you.
How about that 2a? They boasted an 1:31 f-stop.

Kirk

Old April 28th 04, 12:09 PM
Dan Fromm

wrote in message ...
In my infinite quest for infinite ways to spend money on a hobby,
I now need to know what is available for WA for a 8x10 format
camera. I am a WA user (24mm or less) in the 35 mm world. I am
now foraging into the 8x10 realm. Any suggestions for a lens
with lots of coverage?

88 Super Aviogon covers 305 mm. Not inexpensive or easy to find.
Old April 28th 04, 01:32 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Kirk Fry wrote:
Mo Widest lens ever made to cover 8X10. My entry:
Goerz
Hypergon No. Focal MM Format inches 1914 Price
0 60 5x7 $43.50
000a 75 8 x 10 $49.00
0 90 10 x 12 $52.50
0 120 12 x 16 $62.00
1 150 16 x 20 $72.50
2a 200 24 x 28 $91.00
000a w/o Star 75 5 x 7 $44.00
00 w/o Star 90 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 $47.50
0 w/o Star 120 8 x 10 $54.50

A 75 mm 000a Goerz Hypergon with Star fan. Don't you wish your Great
Grandfather had bought a dozen and put them in a lock box for you.
How about that 2a? They boasted an 1:31 f-stop.

Kirk

If you want a new one, Ron Wisner is making them.

The 140o Wisner Hypergon, 84mm, f:22-45
Lens in Shutter $2495.00
Center Filter $382.00

http://www.wisner.com/Page20.html

/V\ Registered Machine 241939.
^^-^^ 08:30:00 up 5 days, 9:12, 6 users, load average: 4.74, 4.32, 4.16

Old July 9th 04, 12:07 PM
Thom

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:46:44 -0600, "sympatico.ca"
wrote:

"AArDvarK" wrote in message

In my infinite quest for infinite ways to spend money on a hobby,
I now need to know what is available for WA for a 8x10 format
camera. I am a WA user (24mm or less) in the 35 mm world. I am
now foraging into the 8x10 realm. Any suggestions for a lens
with lots of coverage?

A simple base approach, simplisticly, normal lens on a
35mm camera = 50mm, for an 8x10 it's 300mm.

I'm sorry but its not 50mm, its 43mm in fact its 38mm if you just
enlarge the 24x30mm part of the 24x36mm frame.

You can't compare oranges and apples and compare an image with a
1:1.25 ratyion and a 1:1.5 ration. If you enlarge to an 8x10 or 4x5
(the 24x30 part of the neg) than the following applies. The first
figure is the 8x10 FL and the second is the equivilant 35mm
150 = 18.9mm
165 = 20.7mm
180 = 22.6mm
210 = 26.4mm