6x17 panorama

Old January 24th 05, 12:01 AM
.::SuperBLUE::.

Default 6x17 panorama

What is the best way for me to start?
What is the cheapest option?
Is Linhof or Fuji 617 unavoidable or is there a cheaper solution?
Maybe Russian/Chinese?

Old January 24th 05, 12:17 AM
Ralf R. Radermacher

..::SuperBLUE::. wrote:

What is the best way for me to start?
What is the cheapest option?
Is Linhof or Fuji 617 unavoidable or is there a cheaper solution?
Maybe Russian/Chinese?

Any old 13 x 18 and a pair of scissors would be a lot cheaper and offer
more possibilities.

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher - DL9KCG - Köln/Cologne, Germany
private homepage: http://www.fotoralf.de
Old January 24th 05, 12:28 AM
David J. Littleboy

".::SuperBLUE::." wrote:

What is the best way for me to start?
What is the cheapest option?
Is Linhof or Fuji 617 unavoidable or is there a cheaper solution?
Maybe Russian/Chinese?

There's a (relatively) new company out of Hong Kong (fotoman) that has some
interesting cameras.

http://www.fotomancamera.com/

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...sj&unified_p=1

If you are going to scan, then you can just shoot three images on 6x7 and
merge. I like lower aspect ratios, so two images with a wide angle lens does
it for me.

http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/33533884/large

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old January 24th 05, 12:36 AM
Nick Zentena

In rec.photo.equipment.large-format .::SuperBLUE::. wrote:
What is the best way for me to start?
What is the cheapest option?
Is Linhof or Fuji 617 unavoidable or is there a cheaper solution?
Maybe Russian/Chinese?

Cheapest is a 5x7 with a L shaped dark slide. An old 5x7 might cost you
$200. Shen Hao is selling a 6x17 back that fits 4x5 cameras. Between the
back and the camera you might spend $1000.

Nick
Old January 24th 05, 01:06 AM
.::SuperBLUE::.

Any old 13 x 18 and a pair of scissors would be a lot cheaper and offer
more possibilities.

I am new to photography, so I would like to ask some dumb questions:

1. Color films for large format and where are they developed?
2. Would large format confine me to black & white manualy developed photos?
3. Is it better to buy large format camera or 6x17 considering the available
lenses (I like the telephoto)?

Old January 24th 05, 01:27 AM
Ralf R. Radermacher

..::SuperBLUE::. wrote:

Any old 13 x 18 and a pair of scissors would be a lot cheaper and offer
more possibilities.

I am new to photography, so I would like to ask some dumb questions:

1. Color films for large format and where are they developed?

Get yourself a second-hand Jobo processor and do the processing
yourself.

Or, as others have suggested here, fit a rollfilm back.

2. Would large format confine me to black & white manualy developed photos?

Definitely not.

3. Is it better to buy large format camera or 6x17 considering the available
lenses (I like the telephoto)?

With a 6 x 17 camera, you're limited to the selection of lenses they
sell for it. With a large-format camera, you have an immense choice of
lenses you can use.

Ralf

Old January 24th 05, 01:44 AM
jjs

You should be sure you want 6x17. 17cm requires 7" or better enlarging
equipment. It could get complicated or expensive quickly. On the other hand,
12cm is common, and wide lenses that cover it are easily found.

Old January 24th 05, 01:45 AM
jjs

".::SuperBLUE::." wrote in message
Any old 13 x 18 and a pair of scissors would be a lot cheaper and offer
more possibilities.

I am new to photography, so I would like to ask some dumb questions:

1. Color films for large format and where are they developed?
2. Would large format confine me to black & white manualy developed
photos?
3. Is it better to buy large format camera or 6x17 considering the
available
lenses (I like the telephoto)?

As mentioned earlier, 17cm is a relatively unusual fit. 12cm (5x4") is more
commo and far more affordable for telephoto.

Old January 24th 05, 01:58 AM
rafe bustin

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:28:28 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
wrote:

If you are going to scan, then you can just shoot three images on 6x7 and
merge. I like lower aspect ratios, so two images with a wide angle lens does
it for me.

http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/33533884/large

I see you're getting some mileage out of
that picture, David.

It's a nice mood and composition... but I
wonder about the overall blue cast. The
picture looks a lot more real (and IMO,
no less attractive) with the blue channel
toned down. And that's what you'd get if
you made the concrete wall neutral.

Do you know offhand the largest length
(single frame) of 120 film that the
LS-8000 will scan? It's tempting to
get a MF back for my ShenHao (4x5)
so that I go back to using the Nikon
to scan that stuff.

In the spirit of sharing, here's a
pano I made from four 645 images.
I had fun printing this 80"x18"
on my Epson.

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/fog_pano.jpg

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Old January 24th 05, 02:04 AM
rafe bustin

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 02:06:35 +0100, ".::SuperBLUE::."
wrote:

Any old 13 x 18 and a pair of scissors would be a lot cheaper and offer
more possibilities.

I am new to photography, so I would like to ask some dumb questions:

1. Color films for large format and where are they developed?
2. Would large format confine me to black & white manualy developed photos?
3. Is it better to buy large format camera or 6x17 considering the available
lenses (I like the telephoto)?

Unless I'm mistaken, Fuji and Kodak are the lost
folks left making color films in 4x5 size, but
both offer a nice lineup of both C41 and reversal
(chrome) emulsions. Alas, I can't get Reala in
4x5, but there are a couple of versions of
Kodak's Portra and several 160-ISO C41 films
from Fuji.

Developing... I'm in the western suburbs of
Boston and there are about two places in town
that will process sheet film. Cost is about
$2.50 a sheet for processing.

IMO, you'd have a better variety of lenses
with 4x5 than with a 6x17, but I'm not at
all familiar with the latter.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com