Nikon Coolpix 5400 and Noise Reduction

Old October 20th 04, 04:55 AM
Larry R Harrison Jr

Default Nikon Coolpix 5400 and Noise Reduction

I just purchased a Coolpix 5400 got it last Saturday. One peculiarity I
noticed--the NR icon for "noise reduction" is always on even at higher
shutter speeds when it shouldn't be necessary. I thought it only engaged
when it was necessary.
On the other hand my CP5700 only displays the NR at slow shutter speeds
(like 1/8 second or slower) even if NR is enabled in the menus.

I did just try out the CP5400 and it does seem to slow down with NR enabled
in the menus even at fast shutter speeds. This would seem to be a big
disadvantage vs the 5700 which I can leave in NR permanently rather than
having to turn it off for daytime and turn it back on for night-time.

What have any of the rest of you noticed?

LRH

Old October 22nd 04, 12:34 AM
Jer

Ed Ruf wrote:

Upon a relook, it would appear I read the manual incorrectly. The 5400 is
only supposed to use NR for shutter speeds ~1/4 sec according to the PDF
copy of the manual off the NIKON Tech site. My 5700 manual states 1/30 sec.
If the 5400 manual isn't a typo something must be amiss with your 5400.

This alleged discrepancy may be due to different firmware versions.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Old October 22nd 04, 04:07 AM
Richard Tomkins

I found that shooting RAW on my 5700 took an appreciative longer time to
write the image to the compact flash card when I had turned on Noise
Reduction.

Old October 22nd 04, 01:02 PM
Jer

Richard Tomkins wrote:

I found that shooting RAW on my 5700 took an appreciative longer time to
write the image to the compact flash card when I had turned on Noise
Reduction.

Well, of course. My point is comparisons of this stripe aren't really
meaningful unless one also considers the firmware, because virtually
everything about any digital camera is controlled by it's embedded
firmware. Two identical cameras, except for their firmware, can easily
perform differently in a variety of respects. This is why review site
ratings are largely meaningless unless the reviewer informs readers what
firmware release was used in the demo unit.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'