How political-correctness ruined the Pirelli calendar

Old February 20th 18, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default How political-correctness ruined the Pirelli calendar

Tony Cooper wrote:
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 09:46:21 -0600, Savageduck
wrote:

Mayayana wrote:
"Eric Stevens" wrote

| N E V E R H E A R D O F S P I K E M I L L I G A N ?

Ah. British. No wonder. Sorry. We get British soap
opera junk like Downton Abbey, and fake ethnic
Irish bands singing Danny Boy, on our PBS in the US.
I guess probably because it's cheap or free. Also
because there's a weird Anglophile cult among
American self-appointed highbrow types. Anything
said in a British accent is thought to be well thought
out.

...and yet we in the USA frequently steal British programming, to produce
shows such as “House of Cards”, “All in the Family”, and “The Office”.

Add one of my favorite shows, "Shameless" to that list. The original
was about a family in Manchester, UK. I tried to watch an episode of
the original, but the lower-class Mancunian accents were almost
ununderstandable.

Then there are the very good BBC series such as “Hinterland”, and
“Shetland” which are available on Netflix and/or Amazon Prime. Add
Scandinavian series such as “The Killing”, “The Bridge”, and “Wallander”
which made it to the BBC in their original form, and made it to the US as
American productions.

We've watched all mentioned above. Great stuff.

I understand that not all people's interests are the same, but we look
forward to every "Masterpiece" series. Currently, it's "Victoria" and
it's quite good. "The Crown" was good as was "Call the Midwife".

Netflix offers quite a good selection of Brit shows. "The
Detectorists", "Happy Valley", and "The IT Crowd" were favorites here.
We're looking forward to Netflix picking up Season 7 of "Doc Martin".

While some greatly enjoy "Doctor Who", it's never appealed to me.
Science fiction/fantasy and outer space shows are not for me.

I never found the appeal, just as I never found the appeal with “Star Trek”
and its offspring.

If liking the "Masterpiece" productions, and not US TV reality shows,
talent shows, cooking shows, and dancing competitions make me a
"highbrow" type, I say "It's a fair cop, Guv."

I suspect that we have similar likes when it comes to our choices in
entertainment.

Savageduck
Old February 20th 18, 06:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

RichA wrote:
On Tuesday, 20 February 2018 10:46:26 UTC-5, Savageduck wrote:
Mayayana wrote:
"Eric Stevens" wrote

| N E V E R H E A R D O F S P I K E M I L L I G A N ?

Ah. British. No wonder. Sorry. We get British soap
opera junk like Downton Abbey, and fake ethnic
Irish bands singing Danny Boy, on our PBS in the US.
I guess probably because it's cheap or free. Also
because there's a weird Anglophile cult among
American self-appointed highbrow types. Anything
said in a British accent is thought to be well thought
out.

...and yet we in the USA frequently steal British programming, to produce
shows such as “House of Cards”, “All in the Family”, and “The Office”.

Then there are the very good BBC series such as “Hinterland”, and
“Shetland” which are available on Netflix and/or Amazon Prime. Add
Scandinavian series such as “The Killing”, “The Bridge”, and “Wallander”
which made it to the BBC in their original form, and made it to the US as
American productions.

All good shows and better watched in their British form as PBS and BBC
America CENSOR them. American religious maniacs think Jesus tells them to.

PBS is actually OK for much of the imported content they show.
Unfortunately BBC America does much more damage with commercial breaks
rather than any sort of censorship.

Hence Netflix, and/or Amazon Prime for most of that stuff is the way to go,
if you couldn’t be bothered to access the BBC, and iPlayer via a VPN.

Savageduck
Old February 20th 18, 07:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Savageduck" wrote

| I never found the appeal, just as I never found the appeal with "Star
Trek"
| and its offspring.

Holy Moley! Get outta town!!

Y O U N E V E R L I K E D S T A R T R E K???!!!

Old February 20th 18, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Mayayana wrote:
"Savageduck" wrote

| I never found the appeal, just as I never found the appeal with "Star
Trek"
| and its offspring.

Holy Moley! Get outta town!!

Y O U N E V E R L I K E D S T A R T R E K???!!!

Yup! I never liked Star Trek, it was silly beyond belief, and Shatner was
all ham.

Savageduck
Old February 20th 18, 08:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Savageduck" wrote

| Yup! I never liked Star Trek, it was silly beyond belief, and Shatner was
| all ham.

Can't argue with that. And it was also imperialistic.
But a lot of things can be covered in sci-fi that would
be too touchy otherwise.
I found it interesting the way they changed the
second version. In most psychology and religious
systems there's a recognition of the personhaving
3 modes of experience: body, feeling, mind. physical,
emotional or energy, and thinking. Father, Son and
Holy Ghost. Jung's moving, feeling and thinking.

In the 1st Star Trek, the physical man is in charge.
The athlete who operates by instinct. The trhinking
man is his helper and the feeling part comes in
as a weak 3rd place. A silly, cranky doctor.
In the 2nd version, the thinker is in charge. His
helper is the physical/instinctive type. The feeling
type becomes a powerfully perceptive woman but
also someone who's not part of the command
structure.
After that it degenerated into PC madness.

Old February 20th 18, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Savageduck" wrote

| Rather than two kidsdressed up as royalty I would recommend watching "Wolf
| Hall" which will give you an interesting look into Tudor politics, and is
| much better than any of the pablum US networks produce.

Wolf Hall? I should note that I only have broadcast
TV and Netflix discs, along with the library. No Hulu.
no HBO, etc.

| I criticize them because they're really no better
| than American daytime soaps. But they're considered
| higher quality simply because they're British.
|
| Actually they are far better than American daytime soaps, with far
superior
| acting and production values.
|
| It sounds as if your particular prejudices have oozed into your TV
viewing.

Anti-Brit prejudice? Hardly. It's not that I'm anti-Brit.
It's that many educated Americans tend to valorize
British culture, assigning an intellectual brilliance to
Britishness itself.

Something like Downton Abbey is a soap opera.
The actors might be better and the production might
be better, but the story is still just emotional
masturbation. If it were not British it would not
be on PBS.

But I have to admit it's not as
bad as what I see on American network TV these
days. It seems like every show involves attractive
20-somethings who are cops of some kind, hunting
down a serial killer. Or attractive 20-somethings who
live in some kind of alternate reality, magical kingdom,
alien world.... I can't tell.... and spend most of their
time zapping each other with spells, rayguns, or
some such. No character development.

Old February 20th 18, 11:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 00:36:58 -0500, Tony Cooper
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 23:04:48 -0600, Savageduck
wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 16:02:03 -0500, "Mayayana"
wrote:

"newshound" wrote

| Reminds me of an old Spike Milligan joke. Man goes to his priest,
| "Father is it wrong to want to look at pictures of naked women?"
| "Of course it is my son, otherwise we would all be doing it".

That's a good one. I've never heard of Spike
Milligan. But I recognize that uniquely Catholic
perversion.

N E V E R H E A R D O F S P I K E M I L L I G A N ?

What is the world coming to?

He probably hasn’t heard of Peter Sellers, and Harry Secome either.

Then there was Spike’s self composed epitaph; “I told you I was sick.”

Was "The Goon Show" ever shown on US television? I've seen clips, but
I don't recall anyone ever watching the show regularly.

"Seen clips"? The original Goon Show was made for radio.

Americans (I have no idea where "newsguy" is from) would know Sellers
from "The Pink Panther", "Dr Strangelove", and other movies but might
not know that he was in "The Goon Show".

There is a tie here to photography, you know. Sellers and Antony
Armstrong-Jones were close friends.

Eric Stevens
Old February 21st 18, 04:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 2/20/2018 1:05 PM, Mayayana wrote:
"Savageduck" wrote

| I never found the appeal, just as I never found the appeal with "Star
Trek"
| and its offspring.

Holy Moley! Get outta town!!

Y O U N E V E R L I K E D S T A R T R E K???!!!

Last year there was a Star Trek exhibit on the Intrepid. It combined the
original with the Next Generation. I was told that most of the actors
were nice, regular guys. William Shattner was charging for his
autograph. I leave the name for that, up to the readers. He also got
paid for his appearance. I went to the exhibit, but not on the opening
night. it was neat to sit in the Captains chair.

--
PeterN
Old February 21st 18, 04:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 2/20/2018 1:23 PM, Savageduck wrote:
Mayayana wrote:
"Savageduck" wrote

| I never found the appeal, just as I never found the appeal with "Star
Trek"
| and its offspring.

Holy Moley! Get outta town!!

Y O U N E V E R L I K E D S T A R T R E K???!!!

Yup! I never liked Star Trek, it was silly beyond belief, and Shatner was
all ham.

That may be true, but it was leading in a sociological way. It had
people in highly responsible roles, regardless of their sex, race, or
religion. It had interracial kissing, which was considered taboo at the
time.

--
PeterN
Old February 21st 18, 04:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Tony Cooper" wrote

| They come up with a formula and
| then the viewers watch each week specifically to
| see another rendition of the same formula.
|
| Which is basically the same thing done with just about every US prime
| time show.

That's what I mean. Whether it's American or British,
a series is the same. The worst are nearly the same plot
every time: Hero gets into trouble. Things look bad.
Near the end, with 1 second before the bomb goes
off, hero saves the day. Show ends with a few witty
quips over drinks.