Photos of a rocket dropping of the residual fuel

Old October 20th 09, 06:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_11_]

Default Photos of a rocket dropping of the residual fuel

Photos of a rocket dropping of the residual fuel
From the HearSat list, but with considerable photographic interest:

Report from Nicolas in France:
"Today, at 16:12 UTC, an Atlas 5 rocket sent the satellite DMSP F18 from
Vandenberg. A last firing after the separation of the satellite took place
over Europe, and was followed by the dropping of the residual fuel. I saw
(with my eyes!!), since France, this phenomenon"

Report from Nils in Germany:
"I´ve watched this event yesterday evening from Germany too. It was really
amazing, I´ve never seen this before; two clouds (easily detectable by the
naked eye), the first flying ca. 1:30 Min before the other one, which is a
little bigger in diameter. Around the whole was a big circle, which must
have come from either the separation or the firing. I assume the
separation.
Was an great event.
Some pictures here;"
http://www.balkonsternwarte.de/400d/...mitObjekt.html

Yes, it's well worth looking at the pictures and the resulting animation.

Cheers,
David

Old October 20th 09, 07:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ramblin' Man

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 05:27:45 GMT, "David J Taylor"
wrote:

Photos of a rocket dropping of the residual fuel
From the HearSat list, but with considerable photographic interest:

[...]

I think the first time I could ever conclusively say that I witnessed a
"UFO" was when I saw a small comet-like subject high above the western
horizon, well after sunset. I happened to have the smaller of my telescopes
out that night and trained it on the core. The reason I thought "UFO"(?)
was because it was not behaving as any common comet. The tail was facing
toward the now-past sunset, and it was actually slowly moving through the
skies, the voluminous tail growing larger and longer as I watched with my
naked-eye. Eventually becoming a huge brush in the night-skies. Elapsed
time approx. 8-10 minutes. When training my telescope on the "cometary
core" it eventually dimmed to a dull-red color and finally faded. Its huge
tail taking several more minutes to dissipate.

For once in my life; after a life-time of watching night-skies through
telescopes, binoculars, and naked eyes (NOT looking for ufo's); I finally
thought I saw a genuine UFO. I'm a born but hopeful skeptic. Life is out
there, but I sincerely doubt that anything of higher intelligence would
ever want to visit, much less stay here. Easily understandable. It's all
I can do to keep from running away screaming over the blatant displays of
ignorance and stupidity of humanity myself. I pity the more intelligent
species that might have to stumble on this mass of ignorance and lack of
wisdom. Aside all that....

Logging onto the internet to see if there were any other reports,
eventually I found out it was the space-shuttle dumping excess fuel and
fluids before landing, a whole half-continent away.

Nonetheless, it was an impressive sight that late evening. And only
reminded me of something that Bucky Fuller once said, "Sometimes I think we
are alone. Sometimes I think we are not. In either case the thought is
quite staggering."

Has to be one or the other, when you really think about it. The either/or
is quite staggering. Take your pick and let your mind and emotions stagger.
Though I suspect the "alone" option the more staggering of the two. Then
again, the sci-fi movies that show us being consumed or altered irrevocably
are also quite staggering. No ... I think alone is more staggering. It
means this is it. This is all we'll ever have to work with. The only
challenge we'll ever have is ourselves. How pathetically sad that is. It
leaves me with zero hope for humanity. Yes, alone in the universe is the
most staggering. It means our own close-at-hand demise borne of human
ignorance, mass psychosis (religions), and plain ol' stupidity.

Old October 20th 09, 03:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen[_3_]

wrote:

Photos of a rocket dropping of the residual fuel
From the HearSat list, but with considerable photographic interest:
[...]

snip
Life is out
there, but I sincerely doubt that anything of higher intelligence would
ever want to visit, much less stay here. Easily understandable. It's all
I can do to keep from running away screaming over the blatant displays of
ignorance and stupidity of humanity myself. I pity the more intelligent
species that might have to stumble on this mass of ignorance and lack of
wisdom. Aside all that....

snip
Interesting post. However, look at the history of several European
countries who, over many centuries, acted contrary to your thoughts and
delighted in taking over huge chunks of the worlds, in their minds
populated by "inferior races". (This "superior" attitude was shared by
many of my ancestors, I'm sorry to say, and is still alive and well in
the arguments over immigrants, the negative ones coming mostly from
descendants of those who were illegal immigrants themselves.)

Again, an interesting post. If your observation occurred in early
September of 2009, a friend of mine was on that shuttle.
Allen
Old October 20th 09, 06:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
rwalker

wrote:

Photos of a rocket dropping of the residual fuel
From the HearSat list, but with considerable photographic interest:

[...]

That's a great story! When I was about 15 (nearly 40 years ago), I
thought I was witnessing a UFO. It was a bright orange pulsating
object on the western horizon. My heart was in my throat. I thought,
"This is it. They're real." Then the ragged cloud that was obscuring
most of a setting full moon cleared off and I got a full view of what
it actually was. I felt both a great sense of relief as well as a
great sense of disappointment (and stupidity).
Old October 20th 09, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

David J Taylor wrote:
Photos of a rocket dropping of the residual fuel
From the HearSat list, but with considerable photographic interest:

[...]

Direct link to the animated gif:
http://www.balkonsternwarte.de/400d/Bilder/Objekt.gif

The large faint halo is surprising.
Maybe glow in moist air?
That is huge!

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old October 21st 09, 08:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_11_]

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
[]
Direct link to the animated gif:
http://www.balkonsternwarte.de/400d/Bilder/Objekt.gif

The large faint halo is surprising.
Maybe glow in moist air?
That is huge!

--
Paul Furman

Good question, Paul. Perhaps you might like to e-mail the photographer
and report back?

Cheers,
David

Old October 21st 09, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

David J Taylor wrote:
Paul Furman wrote .

Direct link to the animated gif:
http://www.balkonsternwarte.de/400d/Bilder/Objekt.gif

The large faint halo is surprising.
Maybe glow in moist air?
That is huge!

Good question, Paul. Perhaps you might like to e-mail the photographer
and report back?

Ich sprechen *sehr* bischen Deutsch.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old October 21st 09, 04:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_12_]

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
David J Taylor wrote:
Paul Furman wrote .

Direct link to the animated gif:
http://www.balkonsternwarte.de/400d/Bilder/Objekt.gif

The large faint halo is surprising.
Maybe glow in moist air?
That is huge!

Good question, Paul. Perhaps you might like to e-mail the photographer
and report back?

Ich sprechen *sehr* bischen Deutsch.

... but the person with the technical hobby interest will most likely
understand your English!

David

Old October 22nd 09, 03:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

Paul Furman wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:
Paul Furman wrote .

Direct link to the animated gif:
http://www.balkonsternwarte.de/400d/Bilder/Objekt.gif

The large faint halo is surprising.
Maybe glow in moist air?
That is huge!

Good question, Paul. Perhaps you might like to e-mail the photographer
and report back?

Ich sprechen *sehr* bischen Deutsch.

Eight different words (I assume you know ja und nein)?

--
Ray Fischer