Whale

Old January 19th 07, 04:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott W

Default Whale

I was out on my canoe tonight and came across this fellow.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249306/original

Pretty neat but I was way to far away, so I paddled a bit closer and
got this.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249313/original

Better but still just a bit too far away, so a bit more paddling and I
got this one.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249323/original

This is about as close as I want to get to a whale when it is breaching
and I am on a boat that weighs all of 25 Lbs.

Scott

Old January 19th 07, 09:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike Russell

"Scott W" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was out on my canoe tonight and came across this fellow.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249306/original

Pretty neat but I was way to far away, so I paddled a bit closer and
got this.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249313/original

Better but still just a bit too far away, so a bit more paddling and I
got this one.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249323/original

This is about as close as I want to get to a whale when it is breaching
and I am on a boat that weighs all of 25 Lbs.

LOL - wow, nice set of images! Thanks for sharing.

PS - tomorrow take the 50 pound boat, and a macro lens.
--

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

Old January 19th 07, 11:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gordon MacPherson

Scott W wrote:
I was out on my canoe tonight and came across this fellow.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249306/original

Pretty neat but I was way to far away, so I paddled a bit closer and
got this.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249313/original

Better but still just a bit too far away, so a bit more paddling and I
got this one.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249323/original

This is about as close as I want to get to a whale when it is breaching
and I am on a boat that weighs all of 25 Lbs.

Scott

I remember a couple of years or more ago seeing a photo where the whale
was essentially right out of the water - shortly after this the waves
capsised the canoe - anyone remember this?

Gordon

Old January 19th 07, 01:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Skip

"Scott W" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was out on my canoe tonight and came across this fellow.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249306/original

Pretty neat but I was way to far away, so I paddled a bit closer and
got this.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249313/original

Better but still just a bit too far away, so a bit more paddling and I
got this one.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249323/original

This is about as close as I want to get to a whale when it is breaching
and I am on a boat that weighs all of 25 Lbs.

Scott

Nice shots! You're a braver man than I. I'd have lit out for shore at the
first sign of Leviathan! ;-) Seriously, one of the most nervous moments of
my youth was having several Gray Whales swim alongside my parent's 27 ft
sailboat for several miles. It makes one aware of one's insignificance...

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old January 19th 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
AustinMN

Scott W wrote:
I was out on my canoe tonight and came across this fellow.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249306/original

Pretty neat but I was way to far away, so I paddled a bit closer and
got this.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249313/original

Better but still just a bit too far away, so a bit more paddling and I
got this one.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249323/original

This is about as close as I want to get to a whale when it is breaching
and I am on a boat that weighs all of 25 Lbs.

I'm going to suggest everyone looking at the third image check where
the horizon meets the whalewatch ship. The camera had to be that
height or higher above the water. In a canoe, heh?

Austin

Old January 19th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott W

AustinMN wrote:
Scott W wrote:
I was out on my canoe tonight and came across this fellow.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249306/original

Pretty neat but I was way to far away, so I paddled a bit closer and
got this.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249313/original

Better but still just a bit too far away, so a bit more paddling and I
got this one.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249323/original

This is about as close as I want to get to a whale when it is breaching
and I am on a boat that weighs all of 25 Lbs.

I'm going to suggest everyone looking at the third image check where
the horizon meets the whalewatch ship. The camera had to be that
height or higher above the water. In a canoe, heh?

Austin

There is land past the ship, if you look closely light poles between
the ship and the whale.
And you should be able to make out the line between the land and the
water, although is it
dim. Yes I was in a canoe.

Scott

Old January 19th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

Scott W wrote:
AustinMN wrote:

Scott W wrote:

[...]

PWNED!

Great shots, Scott. Make sure your life insurance is paid up the next time you
wanna do that!
Old January 19th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike Fields

"Matt Ion" wrote in message
Scott W wrote:
AustinMN wrote:

Scott W wrote:

[...]

Unless you are bothering the whales (which is illegal anyway), they know
where you are and will not bother you. Only time anyone seems to
get "landed on" or other wise roughed up by whales is when they
have been bugging them (there was one a couple of years ago where
an Orca if I remember correctly landed on a Kayak - if you looked at
the video it was fairly obvious the people had been trying to see how
close they could get). I have been out in the San Juans (Washington)
and had a pod of orca's go right under me as they worked their way
along the shore hunting. We just sat there, made it obvious we were
not a threat or bothering them and no problem - and it was obvious
from the way they acted that they were well aware of our presence
(although it is impressive in a 19 foot boat watching the black and
white
submarines go under you !!).

mikey

Old January 20th 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Zen Diver

Scott W wrote:
I was out on my canoe tonight and came across this fellow.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249306/original

Pretty neat but I was way to far away, so I paddled a bit closer and
got this.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249313/original

Better but still just a bit too far away, so a bit more paddling and I
got this one.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249323/original

This is about as close as I want to get to a whale when it is breaching
and I am on a boat that weighs all of 25 Lbs.

Scott

Here's my three from me. Different angle.
http://flickr.com/photos/zendiver/tags/minke/

jon
Old January 20th 07, 06:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Randy Berbaum

Zen Diver wrote:

: Here's my three from me. Different angle.
: http://flickr.com/photos/zendiver/tags/minke/

Those are the photos from AFTER the wave swamped the canoe. Right?

Randy

Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL