Number of Actuations

Old January 17th 07, 06:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Richard H.

Default Number of Actuations

JC Dill wrote:
Does anyone know what the EXIF or IPTC field name is for the shutter
actuation value? I'm shooting a Canon 1D Mark II. I've rolled over
the image numbers (going from 9999 to 0001) ~5-6 times, which means I
have ~50-70k actuations on it. I'd love to know exactly how many
actuations I have. Here are my ExifList results from a recent photo:

Hi, JC.

Using ExifTool with a sample .cr2 file (from a Rebel XT, apparently),
it's not obvious, but this looks the closest:
FileNumber : 100-0024

Presuming the right 4 digits rollover to increment the left 3 digits,
and it isn't resettable. I've only got the one example handy, and there
are many fields in .CR2 that the tool doesn't seem to decode.

ExifTool is a free Perl command-line utility - it works fine on Windows
with ActivePerl installed (also free, just Google). They have a new
Windows executable, but I can't comment on it.
http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

FWIW,
Richard
Old January 17th 07, 06:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ken Lucke

In article , Richard H.
wrote:

JC Dill wrote:
Does anyone know what the EXIF or IPTC field name is for the shutter
actuation value? I'm shooting a Canon 1D Mark II. I've rolled over
the image numbers (going from 9999 to 0001) ~5-6 times, which means I
have ~50-70k actuations on it. I'd love to know exactly how many
actuations I have. Here are my ExifList results from a recent photo:

Hi, JC.

Using ExifTool with a sample .cr2 file (from a Rebel XT, apparently),
it's not obvious, but this looks the closest:
FileNumber : 100-0024

Presuming the right 4 digits rollover to increment the left 3 digits,
and it isn't resettable. I've only got the one example handy, and there
are many fields in .CR2 that the tool doesn't seem to decode.

No, this is the "Folder Number"-"Image Number" and is resettable any
number of times. It's not a good indication of true number of shutter
actuations.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old January 27th 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike Fields

"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" wrote in
message ...
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 01:38:13 GMT, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill
Gillespie wrote:

Hello All, how can one tell how many actuations have been completed
(how
many pictures taken) on a Nikon D70s and a Nikon D200. The numbering
system in the cameras has been reset.

If you have Irfanview it will show you this in the exif info field for
jpg
and raw files.

--
Ed Ruf )

Hey cool !! So it does (3000+). Thanks Ed.

mikey