flektogon not bad at all

Old April 16th 08, 01:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Zot[_2_]

Default flektogon not bad at all

A lot of folks complain about the eastern block
lenses and cameras.

Just got hold of an arax 60 with a Zeiss
Jena Flektogon 50/4.

Initial results are more than promising:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~nsouto/...ach%20park.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~nsouto/...20lagoon02.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~nsouto/...rramouth03.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~nsouto/...rramouth06.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~nsouto/...rramouth09.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~nsouto/...a%20park01.jpg

Best viewed with an adobe rgb(1998) profiled screen.
That's Kodak 100 ekta, very old roll I had in the fridge.
Very happy indeed with these results: I think
this combination is gonna be at my side for a while.

Had none of the often mentioned problems
with film advance registration: just gotta
be careful when loading that the film doesn't
catch on the rails.

Anyone else had luck with this camera/lens combo?
Old April 16th 08, 02:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Ralf R. Radermacher

Zot wrote:

Anyone else had luck with this camera/lens combo?

I've bought a re-worked Kiev 60 (basically the same camera) from Wiese
of Hamburg, Germany, eight years ago. Works perfectly and I've never had
the slightest problem. Over the years I've had it fitted with a Rollei
viewfinder screen, anti-glare treatment of the mirror box and the
Arax-style MLU.

I have nothing but praise for it. And, yes, the Flektogon is indeed a
very good lens.

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher - DL9KCG - Köln/Cologne, Germany
private homepage: http://www.fotoralf.de
Old April 16th 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Zot[_2_]

Ralf R. Radermacher wrote,on my timestamp of 16/04/2008 11:37 PM:
Zot wrote:

Anyone else had luck with this camera/lens combo?

I've bought a re-worked Kiev 60 (basically the same camera) from Wiese
of Hamburg, Germany, eight years ago. Works perfectly and I've never had
the slightest problem. Over the years I've had it fitted with a Rollei
viewfinder screen, anti-glare treatment of the mirror box and the
Arax-style MLU.

I have nothing but praise for it. And, yes, the Flektogon is indeed a
very good lens.

Ralf

Thanks a lot, Ralf. Love your Contarex shots!

One thing: do you have any comments on the
Sonnar 180/2.8? I'm thinking of getting
one of those for the same camera but haven't
had a chance to look for photo samples.
Also: on standard lenses, I'm told
the Biometars are excelllent, comments?
Old April 16th 08, 03:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Ralf R. Radermacher

Zot wrote:

One thing: do you have any comments on the
Sonnar 180/2.8? I'm thinking of getting
one of those for the same camera but haven't
had a chance to look for photo samples.
Also: on standard lenses, I'm told
the Biometars are excelllent, comments?

You'll find a number of comments on the various lenses he

http://www.fotoralf.de/k60lens.htm

The Sonnar has always been one of my favourites, on the K60 as well as
adapted to my 35 mm cameras.

My 80 mm MC Biometar in the later Schneider barrel (blue/grey rubber
coating) is good enough that I've sold my Xenotar. The differences were
of no practical consequence.

The 120 mm MC Biometar is one of the best if not the best among my Zeiss
Jena lenses.

Ralf

Old April 16th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Zot[_2_]

Ralf R. Radermacher wrote,on my timestamp of 17/04/2008 12:33 AM:
Zot wrote:

One thing: do you have any comments on the
Sonnar 180/2.8? I'm thinking of getting
one of those for the same camera but haven't
had a chance to look for photo samples.
Also: on standard lenses, I'm told
the Biometars are excelllent, comments?

You'll find a number of comments on the various lenses he

http://www.fotoralf.de/k60lens.htm

The Sonnar has always been one of my favourites, on the K60 as well as
adapted to my 35 mm cameras.

My 80 mm MC Biometar in the later Schneider barrel (blue/grey rubber
coating) is good enough that I've sold my Xenotar. The differences were
of no practical consequence.

The 120 mm MC Biometar is one of the best if not the best among my Zeiss
Jena lenses.

Ralf

Thanks for the comments, Ralf.
Will do a read of that page.
Gotta think about this
very seriously: I do mostly 6x7 MF
but have been looking at 6x6 for a while.
This looks like an economical and high
quality system base to build around.
Old April 16th 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Q.G. de Bakker

Ralf R. Radermacher wrote:

[...] I've never had
the slightest problem.

And,

Over the years I've had it fitted with a Rollei
viewfinder screen, anti-glare treatment of the mirror box and the
Arax-style MLU.

Strikes me as if there were a few things you thought were in need of
improvement, else you would not have wanted/needed to spend the extra money
on it, right?

;-)

Old April 17th 08, 12:08 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Zot[_2_]

Q.G. de Bakker wrote,on my timestamp of 17/04/2008 1:02 AM:

Over the years I've had it fitted with a Rollei
viewfinder screen, anti-glare treatment of the mirror box and the
Arax-style MLU.

Strikes me as if there were a few things you thought were in need of
improvement, else you would not have wanted/needed to spend the extra money
on it, right?

;-)

that's the beauty of the Arax gear: it's got
all that done already.
Old April 17th 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Ralf R. Radermacher

Zot wrote:

Q.G. de Bakker wrote,on my timestamp of 17/04/2008 1:02 AM:
Strikes me as if there were a few things you thought were in need of
improvement, else you would not have wanted/needed to spend the extra money
on it, right?

that's the beauty of the Arax gear: it's got
all that done already.

Is he still at his stupid crusade? Wouldn't even have noticed if it
hadn't been through your quoting him. QG's been one of the crown jewels
of my killfile for many years. :-)

Ralf

Old April 17th 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Q.G. de Bakker

Ralf R. Radermacher wrote:

Is he still at his stupid crusade? Wouldn't even have noticed if it
hadn't been through your quoting him. QG's been one of the crown jewels
of my killfile for many years. :-)

Have i? Have we 'had words' before? I can't remember.

But anyway: you can't help but notice the shipload of irony sitting between
"perfectly" on the one hand, and the list of things you have had done to the
camera on the other.

Or let me put it another way: how does "perfect(ly)" and a need for
"anti-glare treatment of the mirror box" (to pick one from your list) go
together?

Sounds like Zot got the even more perfect camera, Ralf, when he bought his
from Arax.

But shame on you, Zot, for mentioning that. You must be on a stupid crusade,
else you wouldn't have!
;-)

Old April 17th 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Peter Chant[_2_]

Q.G. de Bakker wrote:

Have i? Have we 'had words' before? I can't remember.

For goodness sake don't turn this newsgroup into a rec.photo.equipment.35mm
clone.

Chill...

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk