ebay wonders

Old April 19th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Nicholas O. Lindan

Default ebay wonders

More ebay wonders:

Is it outsider art? Is it just a bad dream? Estimated to go for -whaaat-?
http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/20-...06003320QQrdZ1

Or the extremely rare and in high demand 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Speed Graphic:
http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/13-...06003246QQrdZ1

Will the Polaroid 80 reach it's $500 estimate?
http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/291...06005003QQrdZ1

Has all contact with reality been lost?
http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/292...06005010QQrdZ1

Are they worth less in working condition?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pandu...spagenameZWDVW

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/index.htm

Old April 23rd 07, 11:05 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message
ink.net...
More ebay wonders:

Is it outsider art? Is it just a bad dream? Estimated to
go for -whaaat-?
http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/20-...06003320QQrdZ1

Or the extremely rare and in high demand 3 1/4 x 4 1/4
Speed Graphic:
http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/13-...06003246QQrdZ1

Will the Polaroid 80 reach it's $500 estimate?
http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/291...06005003QQrdZ1

Has all contact with reality been lost?
http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/292...06005010QQrdZ1

Are they worth less in working condition?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pandu...spagenameZWDVW

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/index.htm
n o lindan at ix dot netcom dot com

Nick, how do you come across this stuff? With regard to
the 3x4 Speed Graphic, all I can say is Yikes! This is
really a misrepresentation. The size is completely orphaned.
For a couple of decades at least Graflex, and its
predecessor company, tried to get press photographers to
switch to this size from 4x5. It never caught on even though
the cameras were significantly smaller and lighter.
It is a bit shocking to me that things I remember
lusting after when they were new are now "antiques".
Your antique friend (practically a dinosaur)...

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old April 23rd 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Scott Schuckert

Sometimes I see stuff on eBay that clearly has no chance of selling.
One company seems to offer computer networking components at 3 to 5
times the going price, and it very, very rarely gets bids. Yet they
keep listing it.

Why? Are they hoping for a windfall, like a customer that just HAS to
have that particular item (and assume they'll make up for all the other
listing fees)? Or are they trying to "establish a price" for some
reason? I don't get it.
Old April 23rd 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Mike M

I listed a 7-year old Dell server on eBay. Cost $2000 when brand
new, but worth pretty much nothing today. Starting bid of $50. I was
expecting maybe to get $100 for it. For kicks, I put a Buy-It-Now price of
$475. Sure enough, someone bought it for $475 and then paid $250 to have
it FedExed overnight!! Turns out they had an identical system that
failed. Dell no longer offered parts and they really wanted to bring the
old system back-to-life in order to continue operating until they could
upgrade.

Old April 23rd 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
darkroommike

I actually saw the all metal crown graphic on another
website when Google-ing around for parts for my Graphic
View, it was actually used by some photographer at some time
and isn't "just" a piece of found art.

darkroommike

Old April 24th 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
murrayatuptowngallery

Some of the LF lens descriptions on eBay are just despicable right
now.

I saw a Fluoro Ektar the other day, about 111 mm, claiming since the
only xrays negs seller has seen are about11x14 it should cover that.

B.R.A.N. ? (brown ring around neck)

Murray

Old April 24th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
[email protected]

On 2007-04-24, murrayatuptowngallery
wrote:

Some of the LF lens descriptions on eBay are just despicable right
now.

And some are actually 35mm or medium format lenses, but the seller knows
nothing about photography and lists them in the improper category.

Rich
Old April 24th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

spake thus:

On 2007-04-24, murrayatuptowngallery
wrote:

Some of the LF lens descriptions on eBay are just despicable right
now.

And some are actually 35mm or medium format lenses, but the seller knows
nothing about photography and lists them in the improper category.

That's why the good sellers there are so refreshing. My favorite is
"dagor77", the name stemming from his practice of starting all auctions
at 77 cents. His descriptions of his wares are delightful (and he has
really good stuff to sell).

Strangely enough, eBay shows him currently with no items for sale:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...QQsassZdagor77, even though
his feedback shows plenty of current transactions. Dunno what's up with
that.

--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "****" is incapable of writing a good summary

- Matthew White, referring to Wikipedia on his WikiWatch site
(http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Old April 24th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Bogdan Karasek

Richard Knoppow wrote:

[...]

Lust no more; sheet film is still available for the 3x4. Efke
(Adox)film is available through Fotoimpex
http://www.fotoimpex.de/anglicus/index.html in Germany. J and C Photo
http://www.jandcphoto.com/JandC/update.htm carried it in the US but
right now they are shut down and in the process of moving to Las Vegas.

I have 5 of them, 1 Speed, 2 Crown and 2 SLRs. Use them all the time.
And they are lighter and smaller, well worth the slightly smaller neg.

Cheers,
Bogdan

Bogdan Karasek
Montr‚al, Qu‚bec
Canada
www.bogdanphoto.com

"I photograph my reality"

Old April 25th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
[email protected]

On 2007-04-24, Bogdan Karasek wrote:

Lust no more; sheet film is still available for the 3x4. Efke

For those who care, J and C Photo also sells Efke/Adox/JandC Classic sheet
film in 2-1/4"x3-1/4", too. I use that with my Crown Graphic and Galvin. And
I bought 5 boxes of HP5+ in that size just before Ilford stopped producing
it. So I've enough sheet and roll film to last a while.

As an aside, there is enough size difference between the English unit
cut sheet film (2-1/4x3-1/4") and the 6x9cm images on a roll of 120 film
that two different size negative holders are required. The roll film is
about 5mm wider than the sheet film, and the latter falls through the
carrier for the former size.

Rich