20D Battery Grip and AA's

Old December 14th 04, 10:36 PM
Scott Evans

Default 20D Battery Grip and AA's

Just got my new 20D with battery grip. But I have quickly discovered that I
can only get one shot out of a fresh set of alkalines installed in battery
grip and then upon the next shutter release...I get a blank display and dead
battery indicator flashing. I called Canon Canada...and their phone rep told
me that the tech behind said I need to use high milliamp output batteries.
Obviously referring to rechargeable NiMH. But why do they claim it will run
for about 80 shots on regular alkalines??? I find this VERY disappointing
for one big reason I got the grip is to have that "limp home" ability with
widely available alkalines!
Anyone else having this problem?

Old December 14th 04, 11:46 PM
Ryadia

Doesn't sound right to me.
I got 50 or so shots from a set of 2 year old (new) batteries from mine.
Maybe your lens is a high drain affair?

Old December 14th 04, 11:51 PM
Scott Evans

Well I tried a 2 year old set of Duracell ProCells and a newer set of
Memorex alkalines all with same results.
Now...I did peform the firmware update to 1.1.0 with AA installed, but my
assumption there was all will be fine as long as camera has uninterrupted
power during the upgrade. So I do NOT think that is anything to do with the
issue. As far as the lens...I have the 17-85 IS but even with auto focus and
stabilization turned off...still same result. VERY frustrating! Anyone else?

Old December 16th 04, 07:16 PM
ZONED!

It is a problem common to many if not all BG-E2s Canon is dealing with
it soon.

Old December 16th 04, 07:16 PM
ZONED!

Old December 16th 04, 11:11 PM
Scott Evans

Where does this come from? Is this your opinion or based upon information
read elsewhere? Your own experience? Huh?

oups.com...

Old December 16th 04, 11:34 PM
David H. Lipman

Don't use Alkaline batteries !

Get AA Lithium.

Dave

Old December 17th 04, 06:00 AM
ZONED!

The first part (It is a problem common to many if not all BG-E2s ) Is a
fact based on personal experience (multiple bodies and grips), not to
mention posts in DPreview
http://search.dpreview.com/forums/se...rip&forum=1019
.. The second part (Canon is dealing with it soon ) is what a Canon rep.
told me in a face to face meeting on Saturday 12/11 at a major camera
store nearby. I cannot attest to the validity of his statement.

Old December 17th 04, 08:08 PM
Scott Evans

Read Canon batter grip documents.
Lithiums are not meant to work in this grip.
I swear to God.

Old December 17th 04, 10:45 PM
David H. Lipman

I'm from Missouri

Show me.

Dave

"Scott Evans" wrote in message
| Read Canon batter grip documents.
| Lithiums are not meant to work in this grip.
| I swear to God.
|
| "David H. Lipman" wrote in message
| Don't use Alkaline batteries !
|
| Get AA Lithium.
|
| Dave
|

| "Scott Evans" wrote in message
| | Just got my new 20D with battery grip. But I have quickly discovered
| that I
| | can only get one shot out of a fresh set of alkalines installed in
| battery
| | grip and then upon the next shutter release...I get a blank display and
| dead
| | battery indicator flashing. I called Canon Canada...and their phone rep
| told
| | me that the tech behind said I need to use high milliamp output
| batteries.
| | Obviously referring to rechargeable NiMH. But why do they claim it will
| run
| | for about 80 shots on regular alkalines??? I find this VERY
| disappointing
| | for one big reason I got the grip is to have that "limp home" ability
| with
| | widely available alkalines!
| | Anyone else having this problem?
| |