B&H

Old January 5th 06, 11:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default B&H

Yesterday I made an order for some new equipment at B&H. First I got a mail
that confirmed my order. The, about an hour later, I got a message that
said:

Please be advised that your order cannot be processed due to
the following reason(s):

* * *Please contact us:

* * * * Please call us at 212-502-6349 or 800-622-6265.

As you can se, no reason. I called them and first they was not sure why I
got this message. After some checking they told me that they wanted to fax
my bank to verify my card. Is this normal behaviour?

This is the 4th time I order stuff from them, using the same credit card.
Maybe it is due to the large value (~ $6000).

--
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/dahls/Foto/
Old January 5th 06, 11:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes writes:
As you can se, no reason. I called them and first they was not sure why I
got this message. After some checking they told me that they wanted to fax
my bank to verify my card. Is this normal behaviour?

It doesn't surprise me.

This is the 4th time I order stuff from them, using the same credit card.
Maybe it is due to the large value (~ $6000).

That would be a good reason.
Old January 5th 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Paul Rubin wrote:

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes writes:
As you can se, no reason. I called them and first they was not sure why I
got this message. After some checking they told me that they wanted to
fax my bank to verify my card. Is this normal behaviour?

It doesn't surprise me.

This is the 4th time I order stuff from them, using the same credit card.
Maybe it is due to the large value (~ $6000).

That would be a good reason.

I thought so... I remember that there was a break-in at some database in the
US last summer(?) where a lot of credit-card information was stolen. It
might be that B&H will ensure that the owner of my card is legal due to
this break-in.

Old January 5th 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

message that said:

Please be advised that your order cannot be processed due to
the following reason(s):

Please contact us:

Please call us at 212-502-6349 or 800-622-6265.

My only concern would be that it really was B&H sending you this
message. I can confirm that the 212 number is theirs but I don't know about
the 800 number. The 800 number I show is 800.336.7408 Both may be OK I
just don't know. I would call the 212 number just to make sure. As for
why, I would guess it was the size of the order that triggered special
treatment. As long as you have verified that it really is B&H I would not
hesitate to send them the information they requested.

As you can se, no reason. I called them and first they was not sure
why I got this message. After some checking they told me that they
wanted to fax my bank to verify my card. Is this normal behaviour?

This is the 4th time I order stuff from them, using the same credit
card. Maybe it is due to the large value (~ $6000).

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old January 5th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

message that said:

Please be advised that your order cannot be processed due to
the following reason(s):

Please contact us:

Please call us at 212-502-6349 or 800-622-6265.

My only concern would be that it really was B&H sending you this
message. I can confirm that the 212 number is theirs but I don't know
about
the 800 number. The 800 number I show is 800.336.7408 Both may be OK I
just don't know. I would call the 212 number just to make sure. As for
why, I would guess it was the size of the order that triggered special
treatment. As long as you have verified that it really is B&H I would not
hesitate to send them the information they requested.

I called the 212-number, since I live in Norway. The did only ask for the
reference number... no credit card information. If they have asked, I would
not have given them it.

The did not ask for any information from me. They should send a fax to my
bank and I suspected it was to verify that my card was OK.

Old January 5th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Jørn Dahl-Stamnes" wrote in message
Paul Rubin wrote:

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes writes:
As you can se, no reason. I called them and first they was not sure why
got this message. After some checking they told me that they wanted to
fax my bank to verify my card. Is this normal behaviour?

It doesn't surprise me.

This is the 4th time I order stuff from them, using the same credit
card.
Maybe it is due to the large value (~ $6000).

That would be a good reason.

I thought so... I remember that there was a break-in at some database in
the
US last summer(?) where a lot of credit-card information was stolen. It
might be that B&H will ensure that the owner of my card is legal due to
this break-in.

You could probably get the same stuff for less than $5,000 at another store.
B&H ain't cheap. Try Tristate Photo.

Eric B.

Old January 5th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Paul Rubin wrote:

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes writes:
As you can se, no reason. I called them and first they was not sure why
got this message. After some checking they told me that they wanted to
fax my bank to verify my card. Is this normal behaviour?

It doesn't surprise me.

This is the 4th time I order stuff from them, using the same credit
card.
Maybe it is due to the large value (~ $6000).

That would be a good reason.

I thought so... I remember that there was a break-in at some database in
the
US last summer(?) where a lot of credit-card information was stolen. It
might be that B&H will ensure that the owner of my card is legal due to
this break-in.

You could probably get the same stuff for less than $5,000 at another store.
B&H ain't cheap. Try Tristate Photo.

Some of US aren't cheap! Tristates resellerrating is 5.7, B&H's is 9.5.
Believe it or not, some of us think that dealing with someone we can
count on when there's a problem is worth some money. Silly us!

Eric B.

Old January 5th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

said:

Please be advised that your order cannot be processed due to
the following reason(s):

* * *Please contact us:

* * * * Please call us at 212-502-6349 or 800-622-6265.

As you can se, no reason. I called them and first they was not sure why I
got this message. After some checking they told me that they wanted to fax
my bank to verify my card. Is this normal behaviour?

This is the 4th time I order stuff from them, using the same credit card.
Maybe it is due to the large value (~ $6000).

I don't see a problem with them being cautious about your credit card
use. There's a great deal of identity theft problems around.

However, some of these stores use this as an excuse to get you on the
line to sell you additional products. You think they're calling for
your benefit, but it's a sales pitch.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old January 5th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article .com,
"salgud" wrote:

Some of US aren't cheap! Tristates resellerrating is 5.7, B&H's is 9.5.
Believe it or not, some of us think that dealing with someone we can
count on when there's a problem is worth some money. Silly us!

Very True, then there are those of us who feel compelled to
deal with a local reliable dealer....even if they are a little more
than B&H, most times if asked my local dealer can match a B&H price.

--
Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere
Old January 5th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Not surprised, and it's a good thing they are doing it. Credit card
companies and merchants are very careful this time of year, what with
the volume of holiday business, etc. We got a call from our credit card
company to check out a $30 transaction with the New York Times and I
know Amazon has been really cautious, and somewhat slow to process card
transactions. Just the world we live in.

B&H is an excellent merchant --online and off-- and so enjoy in peace.