canon 24-70 f/2.8 vs 24-105 F/4 IS

Old January 21st 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alex

Default canon 24-70 f/2.8 vs 24-105 F/4 IS

Trying to decide which one of these to buy for wedding photography.

I am not to concerned about the 1 stop drop in light of the f/4 lens, but am
more interested in the extra Zoom upto 105mm.

The real question is, for weddings, particularly in the church when things
are relatively slow moving, can i rely on the 2 - 3 stops that the IS will
give me to make up for the 1 stop above.

If yes, then I guess the only downside is that the f/2.8 will give a
brighter view in the viewfinder and enable easier focus lock, but the USM on
both should help things.

Any views welcome.

I am using this on a 1.6 crop factor canon, so understand the Zooms will be
more.

Cheers in advance.

Alex C

Old January 21st 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eatmorepies

"Alex" wrote in message
Trying to decide which one of these to buy for wedding photography.

I am not to concerned about the 1 stop drop in light of the f/4 lens, but
am
more interested in the extra Zoom upto 105mm.

The real question is, for weddings, particularly in the church when things
are relatively slow moving, can i rely on the 2 - 3 stops that the IS will
give me to make up for the 1 stop above.

If yes, then I guess the only downside is that the f/2.8 will give a
brighter view in the viewfinder and enable easier focus lock, but the USM
on
both should help things.

Any views welcome.

I use both on a Canon 30D. The extra stop on the 24-70 is mostly useful to
limit the depth of field. The 24-105 sometimes gives me more DOF than I
want. Also the extra stop allows you to use a higher shutter speed and
hence stop the action - not that this applies to most weddings. I'm not sure
if there's any difference in image quality, but if I had to choose which to
keep it would probably be the 24-105 because of it's increased range of
focal length.

John

Old January 21st 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alex

"Eatmorepies" wrote in message

"Alex" wrote in message
[...]

Thank John,

Does the IS really give you 3 stops as the marketing says. So if I had an
exposure of 1/30th @ f/4, I would essentially get equivalent of 1/250th @
f/4 exposure?

That alone would suffice, acknowleging your point on DOF.

Cheers

Alex

Old January 21st 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

"Alex" wrote in message
[...]

Many churches are VERY poorly lit, which makes non-flash photography
dificult. For me, the range of the 24-70 is only useful *enough* on a
cropped sensor. On my full-frame, I prefer the 24-105. If I'm shooting
with my 10D (something which is basically never, now...), I'd be happy to
use the 24-70 for candids...though I would still see no reason not to use
the 24-105.

Most of the time I prefer more DOF than 2.8 allows anyway, so I'd usually
stop down past that. If that is the case, then I may as well use the IS
version.

Thank John,

Does the IS really give you 3 stops as the marketing says. So if I
had an exposure of 1/30th @ f/4, I would essentially get equivalent
of 1/250th @ f/4 exposure?

Regarding resistance to CAMERA motion blur...yes. That's a legitimate
claim. Just remember the obvious (but often forgotten) fact that subject
motion is still sensitive to low shutter speeds.

MarkČ
www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 21st 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

"Alex" wrote in message
[...]

From the viewpoint of correcting camera motion yes, it pretty much
works that way. But remember that that doesn't correct _subject_
motion.

Here's one of the first shots I took with my 30D, the same day I got
it--that's with the 17-85IS. Note that that is hand-held at 1/4
second and 17mm.

It's not sharp to the resolution limits of the lens and camera but it
looks fine printed 8x10. Note though the blurring of the debarking
passengers.

The other shot in the set is at 1/10 also handheld.

Old January 21st 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

"Alex" wrote in message
[...]

From the viewpoint of correcting camera motion yes, it pretty much
works that way. But remember that that doesn't correct _subject_
motion.

Here's one of the first shots I took with my 30D, the same day I got
it--that's with the 17-85IS. Note that that is hand-held at 1/4
second and 17mm.

Did you forget something, Alex?

(How about a link?)
www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 21st 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alex

"Alex" wrote in message
[...]

From the viewpoint of correcting camera motion yes, it pretty much
works that way. But remember that that doesn't correct _subject_
motion.

Here's one of the first shots I took with my 30D, the same day I got
it--that's with the 17-85IS. Note that that is hand-held at 1/4
second and 17mm.

Did you forget something, Alex?

(How about a link?)
www.pbase.com/markuson

I was just going to ask the same, but it's not me that made the last post

Alex.

Old January 21st 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

Alex wrote:
"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message
Does the IS really give you 3 stops as the marketing says. So if I
had an exposure of 1/30th @ f/4, I would essentially get equivalent
of 1/250th @ f/4 exposure?

From the viewpoint of correcting camera motion yes, it pretty much
works that way. But remember that that doesn't correct _subject_
motion.

Here's one of the first shots I took with my 30D, the same day I got
it--that's with the 17-85IS. Note that that is hand-held at 1/4
second and 17mm.

Did you forget something, Alex?

(How about a link?)
www.pbase.com/markuson

I was just going to ask the same, but it's not me that made the last
post ...

Alex.

Oops. Make that Mr. Clarke.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 22nd 07, 06:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Skip

"Alex" wrote in message
[...]

My wife uses both, I only use the 24-70 for weddings (and sometimes the
70-200 f2.8L). She uses the 24-105 as her main daylight lens, but the
24-70L picks up focus better in low light situations because of the extra
stop, and, I believe, the center focus point of the 30D is more sensitive at
f2.8. For what it's worth, we use them on 5Ds, but we used to use the
24-70s on 20Ds.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old January 22nd 07, 06:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Skip

"Alex" wrote in message
[...]

Actually, I think the IS advantage for that lens is stated at 4 stops, which
seems to run pretty true. As long as your subjects have the courtesy to
remain still, or at least to move sloooowwwllllyyy. ;-) Of course, if you
are using flash, it's all academic.