IrfanView: Loses custom colours?

Old January 23rd 07, 01:21 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell

Default IrfanView: Loses custom colours?

I'm not sure if this is down to IrfanView, an XP Windows issue, or my
user error. I used Canvas Size to add a border. I wasn't sure what
colour would suit, so I decided I'd add several custom colours. After
adding 6 carefully chosen colours to 6 little boxes, I chose one for
my border and closed the dialog. But when I returned to the Add Image
Border dialog a few minutes later, all my previously prepared custom
colours had gone. The boxes had returned to black.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Old January 23rd 07, 01:47 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
bennie

Terry Pinnell wrote:
I'm not sure if this is down to IrfanView, an XP Windows issue, or my
user error. I used Canvas Size to add a border. I wasn't sure what
colour would suit, so I decided I'd add several custom colours. After
adding 6 carefully chosen colours to 6 little boxes, I chose one for
my border and closed the dialog. But when I returned to the Add Image
Border dialog a few minutes later, all my previously prepared custom
colours had gone. The boxes had returned to black.

Same behaviour here with version 3.99 and XP. You might want to contact
Irfan (the author of the program), his email is somewhere on the
Irfnavie homepage. He's very helpfull and responsive (note: it's a one
man project and he has a life, but mostly he replies within a few days
if not sooner)

--
Bennie

Old January 23rd 07, 01:56 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:21:29 +0000, Terry Pinnell, indefatigable
usenet support leech wrote:

I'm not sure if this is down to IrfanView, an XP Windows issue, or my
user error. I used Canvas Size to add a border. I wasn't sure what
colour would suit, so I decided I'd add several custom colours. After
adding 6 carefully chosen colours to 6 little boxes, I chose one for
my border and closed the dialog. But when I returned to the Add Image
Border dialog a few minutes later, all my previously prepared custom
colours had gone. The boxes had returned to black.

Nothing new here. You may also not have a clickable "Define
Custom Colors" bar. Right-click on it to see what "What's This" has
to say about defining custom colors. Perhaps the failure has
something to do with whether Windows (XP in my case) will allow
Irfanview to be executed only by a single user or by any user.

Old January 23rd 07, 05:42 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
George

I have found that Paint Shop Pro and even the Display option in the
Windows XP control panel only save custom colors for the current
session. When you close the program or control panel, the custom
colors go away.

Old January 23rd 07, 11:37 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell

"George" wrote:

I have found that Paint Shop Pro and even the Display option in the
Windows XP control panel only save custom colors for the current
session. When you close the program or control panel, the custom
colors go away.

Thanks all. I'd be happy if IrfanView kept them at all!

I emailed Irfan same time as I posted, and will report back when he
replies.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Old January 24th 07, 11:49 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
emeless

I'm not sure if this is down to IrfanView, an XP Windows issue, or my
user error. I used Canvas Size to add a border. I wasn't sure what
colour would suit, so I decided I'd add several custom colours. After
adding 6 carefully chosen colours to 6 little boxes, I chose one for
my border and closed the dialog. But when I returned to the Add Image
Border dialog a few minutes later, all my previously prepared custom
colours had gone. The boxes had returned to black.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Terry

You might want to download and install a Color Picker program that allows
you to save Custom Palettes. At least that way you'll have the ability to
recall your custom colors.
Sorry I don't have a recommendation for you...I use one at work but can't
recall the name. It's pretty decent.
Otherwise, you probably would have to look at non-freeware as in high end
graphics programs (CorelDraw has this ability). Maybe users of Gimp can tell
you whether that freeware allows for saving custom palettes.

--
stormy weather

Old January 25th 07, 07:25 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell

"emeless" wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I do have a neat little program called Color Cop, to *capture*
colours. It has the usual 16 custom colour facility, so at a pinch I
could use that. But of course that's not as convenient as being able
to use IrfanView itself.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK