Hoya Pro1 vs Pro1D filters... any differnce?

Old January 24th 07, 05:38 PM posted to alt.comp.devices.digital-cameras,rec.photo.digital
Mike Jenkins

Default Hoya Pro1 vs Pro1D filters... any differnce?

I thought I was buying Hoya Circular Polarizing Pro1 Digital Multi-Coated
(Super HMC) Glass Filter... when it came... it just says Hoya Super Quality
Pro1.... no D for digital. I missed this when ordering. Then I checked
the MFR # with a site that says they sell the Pro1 D one... same number.

Now I am really confused... is the Pro1 line a digital line... is there a
Pro1 and a Pro1 D line... is there really no difference other than
packaging... HELP... not sure what to do.

Old January 24th 07, 05:58 PM posted to alt.comp.devices.digital-cameras,rec.photo.digital
Cgiorgio

There is no such thing as a digital optical filter, so keep it unless it is
more expensive than the "digital" version.

. ..

Old January 25th 07, 12:09 AM posted to alt.comp.devices.digital-cameras,rec.photo.digital
Mike Jenkins

"Cgiorgio" wrote in message
There is no such thing as a digital optical filter, so keep it unless it
is more expensive than the "digital" version.

The price is about the same.... it just that at this amount of money, I want
to make sure I best thing possible. What got me concern was this response
from Hoya...

"It would be best to get the pro 1 Digital. The polarizing foil is
balanced for digital capture. The Pro 1 super will cause a cyan color
shift under some lighting conditions.

The super does created a more saturated look, but it is very easy to
increase the color saturation in most image editing programs."

Any truth to this?

A friend was placing an order for a filter, so asked them about this. Here
is the great response he got...

"The Pro 1 D filter have had the multi-coatings upgraded to perform better
with todays DSLR cameras. The S-HMC Pro 1 filters have the older coatings
(but that is not to say they are any less effective). The only advantages
the Pro 1 D has over the older Pro 1 filters is the knurled edged frame, the
black rimmed glass, and the UV protected case.

If you are not worried about the $$ you are going to spend (the Pro 1 D
filters are priced less than the S-HMC Pro 1 filters), I would recommend
buying the S-HMC Pro 1 filters, as the 99.7% light transmission will lead to
better photos (honestly, it is hardly noticeable, but the difference IS
there). "