canon powershot a300: any good ?

Old August 8th 04, 10:44 PM
Fr@nk

Default canon powershot a300: any good ?

My daughter want to buy this cam (special offer this week) , I saw some
positive reactions on internet, what is your opinion ?

The use is mainly snapshot, and sometimes an " blowup" to A4 (21*29.7)

I know it has no opt. zoom

Cheers

Old August 8th 04, 11:01 PM
Robert Barr

Unbeatable price at Amazon right now + free CF card.

I'll have one in a day or two. I'll have an first-person comment at
that time; meanwhile, there's always Steve's:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a300.html

RB

Old August 9th 04, 01:02 AM
Fred B.

I just got one. I LOVE IT. I had the Olympus d395 first, and compared it
to the Canon. Returned the olympus.
It is a really nice camera. You need to use Nimh batteries though. It,
like all digitals, sucks alkalines dry fast.

Old August 9th 04, 02:15 AM
Dave Martindale

"Fr@nk" writes:
My daughter want to buy this cam (special offer this week) , I saw some
positive reactions on internet, what is your opinion ?

I used an A200 for a while. It worked well, despite being dropped
(inside a padded case, not completely unprotected) several times.
I assume the A300 is similar.

Pluses: Quick startup (no zoom to unpack itself). Uses standard
batteries (preferably NiMH). Large bright optical viewfinder; much
better than zoom viewfinders on many P&S Canons.

Minuses: no zoom. No manual exposure modes. (But you knew this).

I found that the 2 MP A200 was fine for 5x7 inch size prints, but
not much more than that.

Dave

Old August 9th 04, 12:09 PM
YoYo

Yes its great point and shoot and the
resolution is good for 8x10 prints.

"Fr@nk" wrote in
message

Old August 9th 04, 12:09 PM
YoYo

Old August 9th 04, 09:55 PM
Leonard

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 01:15:37 +0000, Dave Martindale wrote:

Minuses: no zoom. No manual exposure modes. (But you knew this).

To be fair, the lens in the A300 only has f3.6 and f5.6 apertures
available, so you aren't losing much control by not being able to
pick which one. And it does have exposure compensation.

It suffers somewhat from barrel distortion which is a little
disappointing. I don't take many pictures for which this is
a problem but YMMV.

I found that the 2 MP A200 was fine for 5x7 inch size prints, but
not much more than that.

Sounds about right. I find that 10x7 is OK but pushing it a little
for the A300.

I'd say that if the lack of a zoom isn't going to be too restrictive
for the sort of pictures you want to take, the A300 will give
excellent bang for the buck. Having said that the A80 also looks
pretty good if you can find somewhere still selling it. It's got
a bigger sensor, a faster lens (at wide-angle), a foldy-out
lcd, and the C1 and C2 custom setups. Oh and the zoom lens of course.

- Len