Film Availability

Old November 30th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Joseph Kewfi

Default Film Availability

"The Great Unwashed," I love it! But what's so great about them?

The sheer amount of the dirty SOB's. ;-]

"Al Denelsbeck" wrote in message
.8...
"jeremy" wrote in

Wal-Mart caters to the mass consumer market. We already know that,
except for single-use cameras, the Great Unwashed in America are no
longer using film.

"The Great Unwashed," I love it! But what's so great about them?

- Still Clean Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net

Old November 30th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
jeremy

"Advocate54" wrote in message

And your point is . . . ?

Wal-Mart caters to the mass consumer market. We already know that,
except for single-use cameras, the Great Unwashed in America are no
longer using film.

That does not mean that film is dead. It merely means that Wal-Mart
isn't selling much of it.

"the Great Unwahsed in America"... you are indeed an ass.

And You are, indeed, plonked!

Old November 30th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote in message
.. .
William Graham wrote:

"the Great Unwahsed in America"... you are indeed an ass.

That should be "ash", shouldn't it?

This is a tongue-in-cheek term for the common man, and shouldn't be taken
too seriously......

We know what it means ... and it is clearly derrogatory.

How about, "Tongue in cheek"? - Do you know what that means?

Old November 30th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Starlord

And I KNOW he didn't mean this Disablied Vitnam Vet.

--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote in message
jeremy wrote:

And your point is . . . ?

Wal-Mart caters to the mass consumer market. We already know that,
except
for single-use cameras, the Great Unwashed in America are no longer using
film.

The "Great Unwashed in America"?

To Whom are you referring anyway?

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old November 30th 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pudentame

Al Denelsbeck wrote:
"jeremy" wrote in

Wal-Mart caters to the mass consumer market. We already know that,
except for single-use cameras, the Great Unwashed in America are no
longer using film.

"The Great Unwashed," I love it! But what's so great about them?

- Still Clean Al.

Great as in "there's lots of 'em".

It's 19th century literary slang referring to working & agricultural
people who didn't have access to indoor plumbing. Many bathed twice a
year; in the fall when they donned their winter underwear and in the
spring when they took it off again.

That's because the lower income classes had to go to some location that
had bathtubs (often quite literally a galvanized washing tub) and pay
for hot water and the use thereof. Many didn't have running water in
their homes.

There was also a fear that bathing caused sickness. Probably not
altogether irrational when working people had to share bath water with
strangers.

Many rural parts of the US didn't get indoor plumbing until the 1960s
(one of the benefits of rural electrification actually ... electricity
to run well pumps that could supply running water and power hot water
heaters).
Old November 30th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
jeremy

"Pudentame" wrote in message

Wal-Mart caters to the mass consumer market. We already know that,
except for single-use cameras, the Great Unwashed in America are no
longer using film.

Many rural parts of the US didn't get indoor plumbing until the 1960s (one
of the benefits of rural electrification actually ... electricity to run
well pumps that could supply running water and power hot water heaters).

What is the big deal? Has no one ever heard that phrase before? I was
referring to unsophisticated consumer amateur users, and I used a euphemism
in a comical way. The comment was directed at no one in particular.

Had I called him "Joe Sixpack" would that have generated so many responses?

Jeez, chill out already!

Old November 30th 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"jeremy" wrote in message news:VfJbh.12292

What is the big deal? Has no one ever heard that phrase before? I was
referring to unsophisticated consumer amateur users, and I used a
euphemism in a comical way. The comment was directed at no one in
particular.

Had I called him "Joe Sixpack" would that have generated so many

Jeez, chill out already!

To paraphrase FDR, you can not insult some of the people all the time, and
all the people some of the time, but it is impossible to not insult all the
people all the time........:^)

Old December 1st 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
William Graham wrote:

"the Great Unwahsed in America"... you are indeed an ass.

That should be "ash", shouldn't it?

This is a tongue-in-cheek term for the common man, and shouldn't be taken
too seriously......

We know what it means ... and it is clearly derrogatory.

Sure, derrogatory. Also, in context, more along cynical humour lines, a
bit on the mean side, but not to be taken too seriously either. If you
feel targetted however...

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old December 1st 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"Joseph Kewfi" wrote in message
"The Great Unwashed," I love it! But what's so great about them?

The sheer amount of the dirty SOB's. ;-]

I understand that Wal-Mart is considering the installation of showers near
their front entrances....They are always on the lookout for a way to make a
few extra dollars......

Old December 1st 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Summer Wind

To paraphrase FDR, you can not insult some of the people all the time, and
all the people some of the time, but it is impossible to not insult all
the people all the time........:^)

You're paraphrasing Lincoln.

SW