Pentax istDS any good???

Old October 4th 05, 08:41 AM
Pete D

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
news
King Sardon wrote:

I have around 12 of the old legendary SMC screw mounted Takumars, all
in fine condition.

To use them with the *ist, I would have to use the K adapter. The
lenses would only work in manual mode

The *ist D/DL/DS/DS2 all offer a so-called "Hyper-Manual" mode which
is more like a one-shot aperture priority automatic exposure.

You set the lens aperture then press the green button, located near
the shutter release, and the camera meters the light and sets the
correct shutter speed. Further shots can be taken at the same shutter
speed, or you can press the green button and meter again if the light
is different.

It might sound complicated, but it isn't. It is so easy! I am sure
that you would be *delighted* with the results of using your SMC
Takumars to produce superb digital images.

... I would not even have auto aperture.

That's true. Your SMC Takumars would have to be used stopped down to
the taking aperture. But you would soon get used to it: focus at full
aperture, stop down, press the green button then fire the shutter.

No matter how you have to use them with whatever lens they are a nice camera
to use.

Old October 4th 05, 08:55 AM
Pete D

No IS is not really that much of a problem as far as I can see, all you need
to do is use a higher ISO, the Pentax does that very well. Any moving
subject and the IS is useless anyway.

wrote in message
MANY THANX to everyone who answered my post. Your opinions are much
appreciated. My only wish is that the camera body had image stabilization,
like the Minolta. I'm really surprised that Canon and Nikon haven't gone
that route - yet.

"no_name" wrote in message
om...
Jack Carter wrote:

I've still got my old Pentax AF1 film slr with three lenses - 2 zooms

and
500mm. I've been eyeballing the ist ds along with the Canon Rebel XT

and
the
Nikon D70s. The Canon and the Nikon seem to get all of the accolades
here,
with hardly a mention of the ist ds. Is the Pentax really that bad,
compared
ot the other two? I'm leaning toward it and the Canon. I like the Nikon
but
I don't care for its size and weight. What's "wrong" with the Pentax?

I've been quite pleased with my *istD. Haven't tried the DS because I

HAVE
been pleased with the D. There's nothing wrong with the Pentax other

than
the old story of no 3rd party support. Everything comes for Nikon, Canon
or forgodssake Minolta.

It has removed 127 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

Old October 4th 05, 01:39 PM
Cheesehead

But the D is much more like their (unrespected) classic PZ-1/1p.
It has 2 knobs. One for SS, one for Aperture. Turn one and it's
aperture priority. Turn the other, it's shutter priority. Very
versatile.

The DS doesn't do that. (I have one. I know.)
There's no green button on the DS.
Use the exposure lock to accomplish the same thing. (One less button
to worry about).

But either way, there's another consideration for low-end ($1000) DSLR
purchases -- build quality.
Both the Pentax and Nikok are better-built than the Canon. (imnsho)
Canon offers a few more megapixels.
So it's a trade-off.

Collin
KC8TKA