Why can't we just take pictures?

Old July 4th 05, 09:33 PM
Father Kodak

Default Why can't we just take pictures?

What ever happened to, "I like this camera line, so I'll buy some more
of this?" When did photo guys become such avid market-watchers? And
for all the Canoniacs trumpeting their "market" position, why do you
feel the need to do this?

About a month ago, I attended my son's college graduation. I was
shooting (horrors!) film in my Nikon F2 with motor drive and 80-200
f2.8 ED zoom lens. Several times, I walked in to the area reserved
for the pro's and no one stopped me, I guess because I looked "pro."

Then I made the "mistake" of asking one of the pro's about the monopod
she was using. She took one look at me, and asked me when I would go
digital. When I told her that I would go Nikon digital (look at the
bagful of Nikon lenses), she sniffed and said that I was making a
mistake by not going Canon. Even on front of my wife and
mother-in-law.
Old July 4th 05, 09:58 PM
MarkČ

"Father Kodak" wrote in message
What ever happened to, "I like this camera line, so I'll buy some more
of this?" When did photo guys become such avid market-watchers? And
for all the Canoniacs trumpeting their "market" position, why do you
feel the need to do this?

A question was asked about the two biggies.
I answered that question with some facts about the market...which can play a
part when people consider the future of their system of choice.

Nikon makes fine equipment.
Canon makes fine equipment.
Many other manufacturers make fine equipment.

I think the problem in this case is that of an extremely defensive person
(you) who feels the need for affirmation.
Why do you care so much about what others do?
Why can't you just confidently use your gear without being applauded all the
time about your choices?
Ther are always going to be people who think their system is superior, and
that all other gear stinks.
They are just ignorant.
However...there is nothing wrong with people voicing perferences, and
delineating why one may be preferable over another.

About a month ago, I attended my son's college graduation. I was
shooting (horrors!) film in my Nikon F2 with motor drive and 80-200
f2.8 ED zoom lens. Several times, I walked in to the area reserved
for the pro's and no one stopped me, I guess because I looked "pro."

Then I made the "mistake" of asking one of the pro's about the monopod
she was using. She took one look at me, and asked me when I would go
digital. When I told her that I would go Nikon digital (look at the
bagful of Nikon lenses), she sniffed and said that I was making a
mistake by not going Canon. Even on front of my wife and
mother-in-law.

Awww... You poor thing..
-You had your camera system questined...IN FRONT OF YOUR MOTHER IN LAW!!
Heaven forbid!

Old July 4th 05, 11:32 PM
MrB

Father,
NO problem. Your mother-in-law already knew you are stupid. But, in front of
your wife was inexcusable.

A happy Nikon owner

Old July 4th 05, 11:52 PM
Steven M. Scharf

Father Kodak wrote:

Then I made the "mistake" of asking one of the pro's about the monopod
she was using. She took one look at me, and asked me when I would go
digital. When I told her that I would go Nikon digital (look at the
bagful of Nikon lenses), she sniffed and said that I was making a
mistake by not going Canon.

A lot of pros that were "early adopters" had no choice but to go the
Canon route, since Canon had the high resolution, low-noise, low
crop-factor, professional cameras available, and Nikon dis not.

Did you ask her why she thought it was a mistake? It was probably due to
the availability of full frame bodies.
Old July 5th 05, 01:27 AM
Steve Cutchen

In article , Father Kodak
wrote:

What ever happened to, "I like this camera line, so I'll buy some more
of this?" When did photo guys become such avid market-watchers? And
for all the Canoniacs trumpeting their "market" position, why do you
feel the need to do this?

We don't take pictures.

We take PHOTOGRAPHS.

This makes us important and knowledgeable.

duh.
Old July 5th 05, 02:21 AM
Jeremy Nixon

Steven M. Scharf wrote:

Did you ask her why she thought it was a mistake? It was probably due to
the availability of full frame bodies.

Yep -- because someone shooting graduation ceremonies couldn't possibly get
by without full frame! After all, those are all about the super-wide-angle
lenses. And high-profile gigs like that pay well enough to make it a good
business investment, too.

--
Jeremy |
Old July 5th 05, 02:40 AM
Sheldon

[...]

I went Nikon simply because I have a bag full of Nikon lenses. Can't go
wrong either way. Canon/Nikon. Hatfields/McCoys. Same thing. I wish this
group would stop the feud.

Old July 5th 05, 06:39 AM
Steven M. Scharf

Sheldon wrote:

I went Nikon simply because I have a bag full of Nikon lenses. Can't go
wrong either way. Canon/Nikon. Hatfields/McCoys. Same thing. I wish this
group would stop the feud.

There is no feud. Discussing the relative merits of equipment is a
legitimate topic on thia group.

There is no reason for a non-pro to not stick with the body that matches
their existing lenses (if the existing lenses are any good!). The
reasons that Canon dominates the professional digital market are well
known, but they don't apply to amateur equipment.
Old July 5th 05, 07:40 AM
William Graham

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote in message
news
Sheldon wrote:

I went Nikon simply because I have a bag full of Nikon lenses. Can't go
wrong either way. Canon/Nikon. Hatfields/McCoys. Same thing. I wish
this group would stop the feud.

There is no feud. Discussing the relative merits of equipment is a
legitimate topic on thia group.

There is no reason for a non-pro to not stick with the body that matches
their existing lenses (if the existing lenses are any good!). The reasons
that Canon dominates the professional digital market are well known, but
they don't apply to amateur equipment.

I don't know why a pro would have to dump a bunch of Nikkor lenses to go
with Canon. If I went pro, I would probably buy a Fuji S3, and keep all my
lenses. (assuming that I really needed to go digital)

Old July 5th 05, 09:23 AM
MarkČ

Sheldon wrote:

I went Nikon simply because I have a bag full of Nikon lenses. Can't go
wrong either way. Canon/Nikon. Hatfields/McCoys. Same thing. I wish
this group would stop the feud.

There is no feud. Discussing the relative merits of equipment is a
legitimate topic on thia group.

There is no reason for a non-pro to not stick with the body that matches
their existing lenses (if the existing lenses are any good!). The reasons
that Canon dominates the professional digital market are well known, but
they don't apply to amateur equipment.

I don't know why a pro would have to dump a bunch of Nikkor lenses to go
with Canon. If I went pro, I would probably buy a Fuji S3, and keep all my
lenses. (assuming that I really needed to go digital)

One reason pros have been moving toward Canon has been that Canon been the
fps champ for some time now...along with their comparatively long and
extended reach into stabilized lenses for pros. Sports and photojournalists
greatly benefit from both of these technologies. It's only been in recent
months that Nikon has finally come out with a DSLR that can keep up with
Canon's 1D Mark II's fps, and relatively recently that Nikon has entered the
stabilization game. Canon still has about three times the offerings that
Nikon does.

Nikon's new pro DSLR offering looks to be a GREAT piece of equipment...but
their problem in recent years is that Canon's ability to release updated pro
bodies has far out-paced Nikon. I personally know a number of sports
shooters who switched for this very reason.

Nikon is perfectly capable of making world-class stuff that is on-par with
Canon. They just seem so danged SLOW at getting around to it. They've lost
a lot of pro customers to Canon over the last three of four years
especially. It started with Canon's release of the 1D...then the 1Ds...and
especially with the 1D Mark II...and now the 1Ds Mark II. Over that same
period, Nikon has not kept pace.

For me, none of the above was a clincher, as I don't own any of those
models...but when I do, I'll have a bunch of Canon IS glass to stick on
them. Had Nikon offered IS early on, I might have well adopted thier
system.

And to "Father Kodak"...
....No. This post is NOT slamming Nikon gear.
Read carefully.
Nikon has been slow on the draw, but shen they finally draw, they have good
stuff.
They'd just better pick up the pace!!!
I'm rooting for Nikon as I always have...because I don't want my gear's
maker (Canon) to get a corner on my end of the market. Competition is good
for everyone on the purchasing end...
So.... GO NIKON GO!!