What happened?

Old November 27th 04, 02:23 PM
David H. Lipman

Default What happened?

The problem is this is NOT a binaries News Group. That means you are not allowed to post
binary files.

If you see the name "binaries" in the name of the News Group then posting attachments is
allowed. If you don't then posting attachments is not allowed.

In addition, the News Group Charter/FAQ states that binary attachments are not permitted.
http://tinyurl.com/6sayd

Pertinent Excerpt:
------------------
What Is Not Permitted:

- Posts from mail2news gateways and/or anonymous remailers
- Flame wars (comparisons between different digital SLR brands or
systems are permitted as long as they do not degenerate into personal
flames)
- Signatures with more than 4 lines
- Exchange and/or discussion of illegal software
- Personal attacks
- Binary postings (i.e. non text postings) other than PGP and small binary
signatures
- Commercial advertisements:

Dave

Old November 27th 04, 02:56 PM
Jim

Your using to fast a shutter speed.

Old November 27th 04, 03:54 PM
Alan Browne

Kent McPherson wrote:

I got a Canon Digital Rebel a couple months ago and I've had this happen
twice. When using the built-in flash, it's like the picture gets half
exposed, i.e. half the picture is lighted and half is not. I've attached a
sample so you can see what I'm talk about. The picture is safe. Any ideas?

It looks like vignetting created by the lens hood and use of built in flash.
Eg: somthing is blocking the flash light from getting to the scene. For flash
shots the lens hood can be removed. (Or your hand controlling the zoom blocked
the flash).

Better yet, use an accessory flash ant point it up 45-60 deg. at the white
ceiling for a softer light, gentler shaddows, no red eye and some BG fill.

NOTE: Posting images here is not permitted. Put your images on a website and
post the link to the website (your own site or www.photo.net, pbase, etc.)

Cheers,
Alan.

-- [SI] gallery: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- [SI] rulz: http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html
Old November 27th 04, 03:56 PM
Alan Browne

Jim wrote:

Your using to fast a shutter speed.

No: that would produce a straight line and a totally dark area where the shutter
covers the sensor.

He 'vigenetted' the flash, either with his hand or the lens hood.

Old November 27th 04, 04:43 PM
Kent McPherson

Sorry about the file. I just put 3 samples on my website. They can be
viewed at http://www.kentmcpherson.com/rebel.htm.

I don't have a lens hood. I don't think my hand blocked the flash although
I guess it could have. I'll have to be more aware of that. If there are any
other ideas, I'm sure open to them.

Thanks!

Old November 27th 04, 05:00 PM
David H. Lipman

I think it is your hand. Notice the curvature of the shadow.

Old November 30th 04, 02:31 AM
DINO SINATORE

Kent,

Were you wearing a hat? This happened to me when I was wearing a hat and
blocked the flash.

Just a thought.

Dino

Old November 30th 04, 06:32 PM
Tom Nelson

Kent, I didn't see your original post, so didn't see the photo. But
this sounds like you shot at a shutter speed faster than 1/200 sec.
Like most SLRs, the Rebel uses a focal plane shutter: two curtain-like
devices which hide or expose the sensor to light from the lens.

At slow shutter speeds, the first curtain opens, then there's a time
delay before the second curtain follows it, blocking the light.

On the Rebel, at speeds faster than 1/200, the second curtain moves
into the picture area before the first curtain has opened. There is no
instant when the entire sensor is uncovered. If the flash fires during
that time you will get only partial illumination.

Tom Nelson
Tom Nelson Photography

Old November 30th 04, 07:02 PM
Alan Browne

Tom Nelson wrote:

Kent, I didn't see your original post, so didn't see the photo. But
this sounds like you shot at a shutter speed faster than 1/200 sec.
Like most SLRs, the Rebel uses a focal plane shutter: two curtain-like
devices which hide or expose the sensor to light from the lens.

At slow shutter speeds, the first curtain opens, then there's a time
delay before the second curtain follows it, blocking the light.

On the Rebel, at speeds faster than 1/200, the second curtain moves
into the picture area before the first curtain has opened. There is no
instant when the entire sensor is uncovered. If the flash fires during
that time you will get only partial illumination.

Look at the photo again... there is a) exposure in the dark area; so it is not
blocked by the shutter and b) the blocked area is curved. The vignetting was
created by a hand or a camera strap blocking the built-in flash... (not the lens
hood as the user says he wasn't using it).