bad condenser lenses

Old January 14th 05, 12:05 PM
Gregory Blank

Default bad condenser lenses

In article ,
PGG wrote:

Hello,

I believe my Omega DII has a bad set of condenser lenses. I've tried
cleaning both pieces of glass and swapping them, but I still get a few
white spots on my prints. In fact, I can even get the spots to appear,
without any negative, on my baseboard by adjusting the focus. Another
reason I rule out the negative is that the spots appear in the same spot
across different negatives.

I've examined both pieces of glass under a strong light. There are no
surfaces scratches or marks. About the only think I notice is a few tiny
bubbles inside the glass. I imagine this is what is causing the spots,
but I'm really surprised. There is also a tiny chip on the edge of one of
the edges, but unless it is diffracting light, I can't see how this is
affecting anything.

I have a chance to buy another set from a local guy. Before I do so, is
there anything else I should look for?

The enlarger bulb is the frosted type and should be correct.

Thanks
PGG

Well do the bubbles produce spots that look the same as the bubbles?
Have you not noticed the problem in past years? Look at the enlager
lens as well.

Depending on the price buy them, Omega sells them for $80+ a piece.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918