SuperAngulon 65/8

Old January 11th 05, 12:43 PM
Bandicoot

"Fernando" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi!

Now that I have the infamous Copal#0 board for my 6x9
Horseman, I'll start using my SuperAngulon 65/8.
Unfortunately, I was not able to find many info about this lens.
I know it's single-coated; design is 6 elements in 4 groups; rear
clearance is 72mm, coverage circle is 152mm (more than enough
for my 6x9!).

I'd like to read some impressions from actual users: performances
at various apertures and various focus distances, flare resistance,
color characteristics, and so.

Thank you!!

Fernando

I had read the coverage was 155mm, but either way, it's enough for 6x12
(without much movement) not quite enough for 4"x5" - and plenty for 6x9.

I have one, but haven't had it long enough to really feel I have a grip on
which are its best apertures - I've used it mostly at f16 and f22. I can
say that I like mine a lot. Colour is excellent, as is usual for a
Schneider. I find the contrast good so long as it is properly shaded: not
quite as good as my later, multicoated, Schneider glass, but pretty close.
I use 6x7 backs more often than 6x9, and find the 65mm is a very pleasing
angle of view on this format.

(Yes, it is me that promised to send you the dimensions of my spare Horseman
recessed lens-board - sorry I never managed to do that. First it was
Christmas, then I've been ill - if it's any consolation, I'm just as behind
on paid work!)

Nice lens, enjoy it!

Peter

Old January 11th 05, 01:03 PM
jjs

"Dan Fromm" wrote in message
oups.com...

John, you're going blind again. Look for:

Weitwinkel-Objektive,
Weitwinkel-Objektive für Mittel-
und Großformat (5/63) SUPER-ANGULON 8/47 bis 8/210,
ANGULON 6,8/65bis 6,8/210 pdf (2 MB):

I see an Angulon 8/65 but not the Super-Angulon.

Old January 11th 05, 05:27 PM
Fernando

Hello Peter!

I have one, but haven't had it long enough to really feel I have a grip on
which are its best apertures - I've used it mostly at f16 and f22. I can
say that I like mine a lot. Colour is excellent, as is usual for a
Schneider. I find the contrast good so long as it is properly shaded: not
quite as good as my later, multicoated, Schneider glass, but pretty close.
I use 6x7 backs more often than 6x9, and find the 65mm is a very pleasing
angle of view on this format.

Many thanks!
I'm now (more or less) used to the 105/3.5 (BTW: at f/8 to f/22 I find
it somehow lacks sharpness at this edges on 6x9, while it's extremely
sharp in the center), and am trying to better understand the 65/8.
I have to say that it's quite difficult to focus on the GG at f/8,
even with a loupe, so I'm often at f/16-f/22 to play safe. Seems a
good glass overall.

(Yes, it is me that promised to send you the dimensions of my spare Horseman
recessed lens-board - sorry I never managed to do that.

No problem, thanks anyway!!
In the end I purchased a couple of lensboards from B&H. Now I just
have to improve my skills with movement (expecially back movements,
that I find very difficult to master).

Best wishes,

Fernando
Old January 16th 05, 02:13 PM
Bandicoot

"Fernando" wrote in message
Hello Peter!

[...]

Is that 105/3.5 the Schneider Xenar? I had one once and wasn't entirely
happy with the edge sharpness - just about the only Schneider lens I've had
and not really liked. Not that it's bad, really, just not as good as most
of their others. I now use a 100mm f5.6 Rodenstock Sironar-N and am very
happy with the sharpness, though I also have a Schneider 80mm f2.8 Xenotar
that I can use when the Sironar feels too slow, so maybe that f5.6 bothers
me less than it might bother you. (The Xenotar is fine on Graflex 6x9
backs, which are really closer to 6x8, but I'm not sure that it really has
the coverage for 'true' 6x9 without stopping down.)

The 65mm can be difficult to focus - I reckon on needing a loupe and a
dark-cloth 'as standard'. Have you looked into getting a brighter focusing
screen? That can make a surprisingly big difference.

(Yes, it is me that promised to send you the dimensions of my spare
Horseman recessed lens-board - sorry I never managed to do that.

No problem, thanks anyway!!
In the end I purchased a couple of lensboards from B&H. Now I just
have to improve my skills with movement (expecially back movements,
that I find very difficult to master).

Back tilts and swings are always tricky, because you're changing two things
at once - plane of focus and vanishing point of perspective. I wouldn't
worry that you are finding them hard - I think everyone does! (Except those
landscapers who use limited back tilt to control focus in situations where
the slight perspective change doesn't matter - I still use front tilt for
that usually, as long as the lens has enough coverage.)

Peter