Olympus EVOLT - 8 MP Consumer DSLR (four thirds)

Old September 27th 04, 11:55 PM
Darrell Larose

What's the price? The Drebel is under $1,000 usd, street prices are around
$700ish now.

"Richard Cockburn" wrote in message
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...lympuse300.asp

8 Megapixel consumer DSLR from Olympus ... will this be a formidable
challenge to the Canon Digital Rebel and the Nikon D70? Will this be the
big break for four thirds?

Three new lenses too ...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...mpuslenses.asp

--
"We are twice armed if we fight with faith." (Plato)

-Richard Cockburn

Old September 28th 04, 12:49 AM
Böwsér

"Richard Cockburn" wrote in message
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...lympuse300.asp

8 Megapixel consumer DSLR from Olympus ... will this be a formidable
challenge to the Canon Digital Rebel and the Nikon D70? Will this be the
big break for four thirds?

Unless there's a technological breakghrough, no. At the end of the day,
larger photo sites are better than small, and larger sensors permit more and
bigger photo sites. The 4/3 system is a wonderful looking system, but I
think Olympus, and others may have boxed themselves in to a sensor size that
too small. However, it still looks like a wonderful system, and I may be
taking a long look at the E300 and a few lenses as a travel kit. Only if the
quality is there, and the results are at lease equal to the 20D, which I
view as it's principal competitor. And yes, I realize that Canon, Nikon and
others have boxed themselves in with the "DX" series lenses, as well. Even
though they may be able to build bigger sensors, those lenses won't cover
the area necessary.

Old September 28th 04, 01:28 AM
Patrick L.

"Richard Cockburn" wrote in message
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...lympuse300.asp

8 Megapixel consumer DSLR from Olympus ... will this be a formidable
challenge to the Canon Digital Rebel and the Nikon D70? Will this be the
big break for four thirds?

Three new lenses too ...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...mpuslenses.asp

--
"We are twice armed if we fight with faith." (Plato)

-Richard Cockburn

Phil writes:

"I can't help but think that the North American name is a mistake, it really
doesn't mean anything to me nor does it stir any emotion, I really don't
understand why it can't just be called the E-300 (other than to try and
guard against grey imports)."

What's up with the nit-picking, Phil? What about the "Rebel', the
"Elan", and so and on so on. what's the big deal that you have to gripe
about such a trivial thing?

Patrick

Old September 28th 04, 08:14 AM
David J Taylor

Böwsér wrote:
[]
Unless there's a technological breakghrough, no. At the end of the
day, larger photo sites are better than small, and larger sensors
permit more and bigger photo sites. The 4/3 system is a wonderful
looking system, but I think Olympus, and others may have boxed
themselves in to a sensor size that too small. However, it still
looks like a wonderful system, and I may be taking a long look at the
E300 and a few lenses as a travel kit. Only if the quality is there,
and the results are at lease equal to the 20D, which I view as it's
principal competitor. And yes, I realize that Canon, Nikon and others
have boxed themselves in with the "DX" series lenses, as well. Even
though they may be able to build bigger sensors, those lenses won't
cover the area necessary.

Some of us want to move on from the ties of last century's 35mm format,
and welcome the move to smaller sensors. The chance of lighter kit at a
similar quality to yesterday's 35mm systems would be great, and I do hope
that you find the E-300 suitable for your needs. Please report back!

Cheers,
David

Old September 28th 04, 11:49 PM
Skip M

"DJC737" wrote in message
Some of us want to move on from the ties of last century's 35mm format,
and welcome the move to smaller sensors. The chance of lighter kit at a
similar quality to yesterday's 35mm systems would be great, and I do

hope
that you find the E-300 suitable for your needs. Please report back!

Cheers,
David

I am also looking for a light travel digicam. I currently have the D60
with several L lenses and while I love the images, I hate the weight and
size. I watched the 8 megapixel non-dslr's with an eye toward a travel cam
but none really did the trick. If a small EVOLT with 2 small lenses drops
the weight, I will go that way. Actually the 20D has freed me from the

Canon
stable as the EF-s lenses requires I buy a new system anyway. So which

ever
ends up suiting my needs best gets the next round of my money.
Enjoy the shopping as much as the using. Dave

The 20D is not "forcing" you to buy EF-S lenses. All of the existing EF
mount lenses work just fine with it. I know, I have a 20D, and no EF-S
lenses, just the ones I've had all along for my film bodies and D30. EF-S
lenses do give you an option that you didn't have before with the EF mount
lenses and the 1.6x sensor, that's the 17-85 IS, which translates to
28-134mm, and the 10-24, which translates to a 16-35mm.
Of course, to use the new lenses, you do need to buy the 20D or RebelD, but,
hey, it's an imperfect world.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old September 29th 04, 02:12 AM
PhotoMan

"Richard Cockburn" wrote in message
On the surface, that is what one would expect, but the first time DSLR
owner might not be as concerned about that. Look at how many people are
buying these 8MP cameras like the Pro1 ... with a 2/3 sensor. If the price
is right, Oly might actually have something here.

I still plan to buy my 20D very soon. My EOS bag is pretty decent, and

this
now Oly model can't touch the 20D. I'll also be keeping the 10D.
Nonetheless, I still like to see competition among the manufacturers, and
it will be interesting to see how this affects the entry-level DSLR market
... if it has any effect at all.

I don't see Olympus selling many of these bodies until they do something
about their lens pricing. There aren't many at 'entry level' pricing.