Best Coolpix for HD and low light too?

Old June 20th 10, 08:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitris

Default Best Coolpix for HD and low light too?

Ο "Jane Galt" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
. ..
ron_tom wrote :

You basement-life city-boy "males" are so out of touch with reality.
While staying at a hunter's-camp in the Everglades for a whole winter I
met up with a gal from Miami that wanted to come and have a place to
practice firing her .50 caliber handgun. Rounds are pricey so we
recovered as many shells as we could for reloading.

Indeed. If only I could afford it, I'd be doing that with a .50 BMG rifle
at
the annual Colorado Machine Gun shoot here.

http://www.rmfcsa.org/gallery/displa...500&fullsize=1

Oh look! Are those women attending? Quick! Turn them over and check to be
sure! LOL

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44148682@N02/4718346638/
I haven't got an actual photo of the .50 BMG, unfortunately... I didn't
have the pleasure either to shoot one, but I had the pleasure to drive the
"Leonidas", I even passed the exams for its driving license, following the 1
month course...I even passed the medical, of course.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Old June 20th 10, 08:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Ruether[_3_]

"Neil Harrington" wrote in message
"tony cooper" wrote in message ...

Apples and oranges. At the cocktail party you have visual
identification with the person. You are seeing something that you
expect to be one thing that is represented as something else.

A posting is gender neutral. You have no expectations based on what
you see.

"Larry Thong" doesn't write things you would expect to see only from a
male or only from a female. When you start reading things into a
written post that have male or female characteristics you are making
assumptions that may be entirely off-base.

Not entirely apples and oranges. I'm still curious as to why someone would pretend to be the gender he is not. Not making a
federal case out of it, just curious. It *is* curious.

Perhaps more basic are questions like: why are there genders, why/how
is there such a thing as gender identity, and why/how are there gender or
other attractions. The first can be answered easily and logically, but the
other two still cannot be answered, and these commonly also show the
widest range of possible variations in people/animals who are "normal"...
--DR

Old June 20th 10, 08:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Ruether[_3_]

"Jane Galt" wrote in message
. ..

Tried finding any handgun ammo on the shelves at Walmart, since Obama
Nation got into office? It's 18 months later and the shelves are STILL
bare, people are still scared and hoarding.

Kinda demonstrates that stupidity is catching, I guess...
--DR

Old June 20th 10, 08:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Ruether[_3_]

"Better Info" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 21:22:42 -0400, "Neil Harrington"

wrote:

Read the book "Handgun Stopping Power: The Definitive Study" by Evan
Marshall and Edwin Sanow. They are (or were) two cops who spent years
evaluating actual shootings and comparing the ammunition used in terms of
"one-shot stops" -- actual shootings of people, not just theories about the
subject or blowing holes in ballistic gelatin. Their conclusion: the best
9mm JHP load did the job better than any .45 or other cartridge in their
accumulated data. Now that was their first book and they've written a couple
of others since, which I haven't read, so maybe that has changed.

An inexpensive cross-bow has more stopping-power than any handgun. Plus
it's quiet without any illegal silencer. It's the only inexpensive and
readily available weapon that will consistently pierce a flak-jacket. It's
due to the mass of the bolt and the inertia behind it. A little known fact
that the "powers that be" don't want widely known. After recently
purchasing a nice 3-9x 40mm illuminated reticle sight for my rife, I put
the old favorite rifle-site on my cross-bow. Bulls-eyes at 75 yards every
time. Trespassers (civilian or government) should take the "Armed Response"
sign at the end of my driveway seriously. If they don't, their loss.

YIKES!
I had no idea this NG had so many kooks! Time to grow up and
stop playing cowboys and indians and cops and robbers, don't you
think...?
--DR

Old June 20th 10, 08:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

It's that old "18 till I die!" mentality...

Take Care,
Dudley

Old June 20th 10, 08:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Caldwell

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 15:27:28 -0400, "David Ruether"
wrote:

"Jane Galt" wrote in message

Tried finding any handgun ammo on the shelves at Walmart, since Obama
Nation got into office? It's 18 months later and the shelves are STILL
bare, people are still scared and hoarding.

Kinda demonstrates that stupidity is catching, I guess...
--DR

Actually most of the runs on ammo this year are due to them changing the
manufacturing process, not any overthrow-the-government conspiracies
(though it's getting there). All new ammo of any gauge is now micro-tagged.
I only wanted to buy some LR 22s not long ago for a vintage rifle I was
refurbishing. (Needed to lathe an internal shoulder on the worn firing-pin
to extend its reach and give it a more solid impact, reshape the worn
firing-pin head, and retensioning the spring a bit as well.) I couldn't
find 22s on the net or on any store shelves. I was wondering what the hell
was up. People have been buying out the last clean non-tagged supplies
before Big Brother stuck their lousy noses even deeper into everyone's
daily lives. All old stock was bought out everywhere.

Silly me, I found 8,000 rounds of LR 22s still sitting on a back shelf of
mine that I hadn't checked. A bulk deal I got for $20 once. Decent
Remingtons. Not one dud yet. Lack of ammo disaster averted.

Old June 20th 10, 09:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Better Info[_6_]

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 15:32:05 -0400, "David Ruether"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

I had no idea that this NG had so many kooks! Time to grow up and learn to
defend yourself instead of laying dead in a pool of blood while waiting for
your mommy-figure and daddy-figure cops to arrive, if you managed to call
them at all that is. Don't you think...? At all?

Old June 20th 10, 09:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

That's the mentality that breeds bloodshed...

Take Care,
Dudley

Old June 20th 10, 09:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_5_]

"David Ruether" wrote in message

"Jane Galt" wrote in message
. ..
tony cooper wrote :
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 20:08:44 -0400, "Neil Harrington"
wrote:

I cannot understand why someone would pretend to be female when he's
male, or vice versa. But I accept that some do, of course.

I can't understand why anyone would care if the poster is male or
female.

I can't either - but in earlier exchanges on the issue of gay marriage,
"N. H." revealed himself likely to be a "closet case", so I'm surprised

A "closet case" of what, exactly?

to see that he can now "accept that some do, of course" (understand
why someone would pretend to be female when he's male, or vice
versa). It is good to see that some people *can* become more

No, I DON'T understand that. Nor do I understand how you can misread what I
wrote.

tolerant of others and also less fearful of being outed as a result (I'm
guessing that the consequences of "protesting too much" have become
more evident to "N. H.", perhaps...;-).

You need to go back to examining your navel. Somehow the great mysteries and
eternal truths of the cosmos are still evading you.

Old June 20th 10, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Ruether[_3_]

"Dudley Hanks" wrote in message
[...]

Or, more likely, it's the pointless "us vs. them" mentality - the same idiocy
that engenders gang wars on the small scale, and international wars on
a much larger scale (which accomplishes nothing of value, but pointlessly
destroys much of value in the process). One can possibly attribute this
to an inherent competitive drive among individuals that had value in the
process of evolution (with survival of the fittest), but the process has now
run amuck and it is has become inappropriate in a time of mass war and
weapons of mass destruction. Even on the political level in the US now,
it has led to a stupidly counterproductive monolithic obstructionism, not
based on anything but power-seeking/holding, hardly beneficial to the
citizenry or to the country as a whole. One would hope that THINKING,
CONSIDERING LONG TERM CONSEQUENCES OF ACTIONS,
and GOOD INTENTIONS AND WORKS TO MAXIMIZE BENEFIT
would someday generally replace this short-sighted nonsense, but I'm not
sure that it ever will...
--DR