Best Coolpix for HD and low light too?

Old June 19th 10, 01:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jane Galt

Default Best Coolpix for HD and low light too?

"Peter" wrote :

"Jane Galt" wrote in message
. ..
"David J Taylor" wrote :

"Jane Galt" wrote in message
. ..
Looking some more, the S90 is also tempting, so it's between the

S90 $350
S8000 $250
and SD4000IS $350

It would stretch the budget for the more expensive two ( $350 street
price )
if it would bring $100 more joy to my shooting, but what's a credit
card for?

--
- Jane Galt

If you're paying that much you might as well get a DSLR - the larger
sensor will make for better low-light performance.

David

Its for my purse, dont want something big that I gotta carry
separately.

re-define what you carry :-)

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...&q=photo+ga d
get+bag&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=dlEbTJP7I4OBlAfcxpWtCg&sa=X&oi=product_result _gr
oup&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CEcQrQQwAg

http://tinyurl.com/2bvkrm3

Ack!

http://www.coronadoleather.com/view.aspx?i=154&c=2&p=0

--
- Jane Galt
Old June 19th 10, 01:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jane Galt

"Peter" wrote :

"Jane Galt" wrote in message
. ..
"Neil Harrington" wrote :

"Jane Galt" wrote in message
. ..
Looking some more, the S90 is also tempting, so it's between the

S90 $350
S8000 $250
and SD4000IS $350

It would stretch the budget for the more expensive two ( $350 street
price )
if it would bring $100 more joy to my shooting, but what's a credit
card for?

The two Canons you mention look sort of interesting, though if I were
buying a Powershot I'd go the extra $100 for a G11.

I mentioned that I could spring the extra from the $250 price of the

S8000
to the SD4000IS. Now you're talking $450. Creeping price here. LOL

I don't know if
you'd consider the G11 purse sized, however.

Not so much?

I looked up the S90, the S8000 and the SD4000IS:

S90 3.9 x 2.3 x 1.2 6.2 OZ.
S8000 4.1 x 2.3 x 1.1 6.5 OZ.
SD4000IS 3.9 x 2.1 x .9 6.1 OZ.

G11 4.4 x 3 x 1.9 12.5 OZ.

sigh The purse IS kinda big already, to hold the size and weight of

the
XD-45 ACP and the 14 rounds of JHP. Hmmm....

Is the G11 THAT much better than the other 3?
( thinking this is gonna cost me more... )

At what point will I need to start moving other stuff out of the purse

make room for it?

I like the size of the Cyber-Shot DSC-S750 that I have in there now.

It's
in a little hard shell case. It just doesn't take very sharp pictures,

and
after all, what's a camera for if not that? Oh and the video it takes

are
tiny. And I love the idea of taking HD stills and video...

IOW I want a new purse camera for my birthday. :-)

Happy birthday. Since it will be your only xx birthday ever, get the

G11.

Talked to my other half about it. If I spend $450, they will want a bunch
of stuff too, and it's gonna get way expensive. LOL

--
- Jane Galt
Old June 19th 10, 01:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jane Galt

"Neil Harrington" wrote :

"Jane Galt" wrote in message
. ..
tony cooper wrote :

Ooooh. My kinda woman. (Though I'm mainly a Beretta guy myself.)

As in 9mm? Wuss? LOL

I was carrying an XD-9 for awhile but the guys in my gun group kept bugging
me about its lack of "stopping power" ( heck it had 9mm +P JHP! ) and telling
me to carry a .45 ACP. So I figure if 14 rds of 45 ACP JHP wont do the job
now, I gotta call in Jack Bauer. LOL

so it's already pretty full and slightly
heavy. ;-)

Leave the extra magazine home and that'd save the weight of a pretty
good-sized compact camera. :-)

Already do that. sigh

"A pistol is just something you use to fight your way back to your rifle."

LOL

--
- Jane Galt
Old June 19th 10, 01:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jane Galt

John McWilliams wrote :

Neil Harrington wrote:
"Jane Galt" wrote in message

Exactly. I'd love to have a nice Nikon DSLR, so I could have a polarizing
lens and all, but it IS for my purse and I already have a bunch of stuff
in
there, including the XD-45 ACP,

Ooooh. My kinda woman. (Though I'm mainly a Beretta guy myself.)

Kinda like Rita, I bet. A lady but not a woman.

"She was not quite what you would call refined
She was not quite what you would call unrefined
She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."
-- Mark Twain

--
- Jane Galt
Old June 19th 10, 02:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jane Galt

"Neil Harrington" wrote :

"Jane Galt" wrote in message
. ..
"Neil Harrington" wrote :

Frankly I'd love a $3000 Nikon DSLR but it's like with guns. They say
that the smaller gun you can carry is better than the bigger gun that
you have to wind up leaving at home. Same with this. If it fits my
purse, I have it in a snap. pun If it's baggage, I probably would
leave it at home most of
the time, then I'd miss something like that video of Congressman ( Thug
) Bob Etheridge if I saw something like that going on. :-)

Yes, wasn't that something.

Should give his constituents nightmares, right up until the elections this
fall.

Creeps ME out!

Of course if he'd pulled that on me and not a teen boy....

True. Well now that I have a HD 24" LCD monitor ( Asus VK246H ) and
HDTV at
home, I'm really enjoying true HD, so it would be awesome to be able to
take full HD photos and video and see them on these at home, even as
wallpaper.

I see David has already pointed out that HDTV is only about two
megapixels. And that's at the highest available resolution regardless of
screen size: 1920 x 1080 = 2.07 megapixels.

I guess the awesome factor on an HDTV screen or monitor, must come from the
sharpness of said lens.

--
- Jane Galt
Old June 19th 10, 02:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jane Galt

"Neil Harrington" wrote :

"Jane Galt" wrote in message
. ..
"Neil Harrington" wrote :

"Jane Galt" wrote in message
. ..
Looking some more, the S90 is also tempting, so it's between the

S90 $350
S8000 $250
and SD4000IS $350

It would stretch the budget for the more expensive two ( $350 street
price )
if it would bring $100 more joy to my shooting, but what's a credit
card for?

The two Canons you mention look sort of interesting, though if I were
buying a Powershot I'd go the extra $100 for a G11.

I mentioned that I could spring the extra from the $250 price of the
S8000 to the SD4000IS. Now you're talking $450. Creeping price
here. LOL

Yup. :-)

I don't know if
you'd consider the G11 purse sized, however.

Not so much?

I looked up the S90, the S8000 and the SD4000IS:

S90 3.9 x 2.3 x 1.2 6.2 OZ.
S8000 4.1 x 2.3 x 1.1 6.5 OZ.
SD4000IS 3.9 x 2.1 x .9 6.1 OZ.

G11 4.4 x 3 x 1.9 12.5 OZ.

sigh The purse IS kinda big already, to hold the size and weight of
the XD-45 ACP and the 14 rounds of JHP. Hmmm....

I suppose one full magazine of .45s should be fairly close to the weight
of the G11, and not TOO much difference in overall size. So think of it
as more or less like carrying the extra magazine.

But the mag could save my life.

I guess the camera could too, if one encountered Congressman Drunk Thug and
was afraid to shoot him with the pistol. LOL

Is the G11 THAT much better than the other 3?

I think so, yes. I don't have one yet myself -- being mainly a Nikon guy
-- but the G11 is really getting under my skin and I'm gonna have to
get one soon.

sigh Ok, it's gonna cost us much more than the $450 though. sigh

I need Yet Another Digital Camera like I need another navel, but heck,
as a friend of mine used to say, "The one who dies with the most toys,
wins."

It's like guns, gold and youth, you cant have "too many or too much".

( thinking this is gonna cost me more... )

At what point will I need to start moving other stuff out of the purse
to make room for it?

I like the size of the Cyber-Shot DSC-S750 that I have in there now.
It's in a little hard shell case. It just doesn't take very sharp
pictures, and after all, what's a camera for if not that? Oh and the
video it takes are tiny. And I love the idea of taking HD stills and
video...

IOW I want a new purse camera for my birthday. :-)

I don't think you'd go wrong with any of those we've talked about. In
the end the only FULLY satisfactory solution is to buy them all, as then
you will never say, "Gee, maybe I should have bought ------ instead."
But of course that solution has its obvious down sides as well.

ACK! Like having to live in the car.... LOL

--
- Jane Galt
Old June 19th 10, 02:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Jane Galt wrote:
John McWilliams wrote :

Neil Harrington wrote:
"Jane Galt" wrote in message
Exactly. I'd love to have a nice Nikon DSLR, so I could have a polarizing
lens and all, but it IS for my purse and I already have a bunch of stuff
in
there, including the XD-45 ACP,
Ooooh. My kinda woman. (Though I'm mainly a Beretta guy myself.)

Kinda like Rita, I bet. A lady but not a woman.

"She was not quite what you would call refined
She was not quite what you would call unrefined
She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."
-- Mark Twain

Nice one! I do like humor.....

--
john mcwilliams
Old June 19th 10, 03:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jane Galt

John McWilliams wrote :

Jane Galt wrote:
John McWilliams wrote :

Neil Harrington wrote:
"Jane Galt" wrote in message
Exactly. I'd love to have a nice Nikon DSLR, so I could have a
polarizing lens and all, but it IS for my purse and I already have a
bunch of stuff in
there, including the XD-45 ACP,
Ooooh. My kinda woman. (Though I'm mainly a Beretta guy myself.)

"She was not quite what you would call refined
She was not quite what you would call unrefined
She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."
-- Mark Twain

Nice one! I do like humor.....

As far as this quip:
Kinda like Rita, I bet. A lady but not a woman.

More like a female but not a lady. LOL

--
- Jane Galt
Old June 19th 10, 04:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Jane Galt wrote:
John McWilliams wrote :

Jane Galt wrote:
John McWilliams wrote :

Neil Harrington wrote:
"Jane Galt" wrote in message
Exactly. I'd love to have a nice Nikon DSLR, so I could have a
polarizing lens and all, but it IS for my purse and I already have a
bunch of stuff in
there, including the XD-45 ACP,
Ooooh. My kinda woman. (Though I'm mainly a Beretta guy myself.)

"She was not quite what you would call refined
She was not quite what you would call unrefined
She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."
-- Mark Twain

Nice one! I do like humor.....

As far as this quip:
Kinda like Rita, I bet. A lady but not a woman.

More like a female but not a lady. LOL

Well, apparently, you know best about....you! But I think my statement
re "Rita" stands. Unless, of course, you are Rita, and then you're both
or either....

--
john mcwilliams
Old June 19th 10, 06:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jane Galt

John McWilliams wrote :

Jane Galt wrote:
John McWilliams wrote :

Jane Galt wrote:
John McWilliams wrote :

Neil Harrington wrote:
"Jane Galt" wrote in message
Exactly. I'd love to have a nice Nikon DSLR, so I could have a
polarizing lens and all, but it IS for my purse and I already have a
bunch of stuff in
there, including the XD-45 ACP,
Ooooh. My kinda woman. (Though I'm mainly a Beretta guy myself.)

"She was not quite what you would call refined
She was not quite what you would call unrefined
She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."
-- Mark Twain

Nice one! I do like humor.....

As far as this quip:
Kinda like Rita, I bet. A lady but not a woman.

More like a female but not a lady. LOL

Well, apparently, you know best about....you! But I think my statement
re "Rita" stands. Unless, of course, you are Rita, and then you're both
or either....

Dont know any Rita. Was she a meter maid? LOL

--
- Jane Galt