[SI] And a new mandate for all!

Old August 28th 04, 12:10 AM
Al Denelsbeck

Default [SI] And a new mandate for all!

Yes, time flies, doesn't it? Here you thought you had another week to
do "Heat"...

The turn falls to Gordon Moat, who's at work right now and cannot
post to the newsgroup, so he asked me if I could get you guys started,
saying:

"This time the assignment is "Better Off Red!". To keep this simple, the
idea is to concentrate viewer interest on something red in your
composition. The red can be a very small area, or a very large area, or
if using B/W it can be something we all know is red.

In the words of Robert Frank: "There is no 'decisive moment.' You have
to create it."

Those who want a little inspiration, check out Jeff Mermelstein at:
http://www.billcharles.com/merm/jeffmermelstein_9.htm.

Think about your images. Try to shoot at least one roll of film, or one
memory card full, and select the image you feel best meets the
assignment. Have fun out there, and if you have any questions, contact
me at my office.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com"

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/red

Have fun!

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old August 28th 04, 01:45 AM
S Lee

Al Denelsbeck choreographed a chorus line of high-kicking electrons to
spell out:

"This time the assignment is "Better Off Red!". To keep this simple,
the idea is to concentrate viewer interest on something red in your
composition. The red can be a very small area, or a very large area,
or if using B/W it can be something we all know is red.

Heh. I can time this to cover Heat and Red in the same weekend--if I
want to

--
__ A L L D O N E! B Y E B Y E!
(__ * _ _ _ _
Old August 28th 04, 03:08 AM
parv

in message ,
wrote Al Denelsbeck ...

Here you thought you had another week to do "Heat"...

You don't do heat. In heat, you Just Do It, or get heated up by
thinking about it.

Infra red image of a person in heat would satisfy this & next
mandate, BTW.

- parv

--
As nice it is to receive personal mail, too much sweetness causes
tooth decay. Unless you have burning desire to contact me, do not do

Old August 28th 04, 03:59 AM
Richard Cockburn

Al Denelsbeck wrote in
. 168:

Yes, time flies, doesn't it? Here you thought you had another
week to
do "Heat"...

The turn falls to Gordon Moat, who's at work right now and
cannot
post to the newsgroup, so he asked me if I could get you guys started,
saying:

"This time the assignment is "Better Off Red!".

Great mandate!

Al, did you create the new turns list yet?

--
"We are twice armed if we fight with faith." (Plato)

-Richard Cockburn
Old August 28th 04, 10:49 AM
st3ph3nm

Al Denelsbeck wrote in message .168...
[...]

Ah, crap. I *knew* I'd missed a mandate, but I couldn't find it via
Google. I should have asked last week.

Heat? Thanks! How am I supposed to find Heat in Melbourne,
Australia, in August?!?
I'll have to skip that one. So now to think about "Red".

Dammit! I just loaded B&W this morning!!!

Cheers,
Steve
(You know, I think the SI elves are against me this month - and I
didn't even get involved in the "is Brian the Devil incarnate?"
thread!)
Old August 28th 04, 04:28 PM
Al Denelsbeck

Richard Cockburn wrote in
:

Al Denelsbeck wrote in
. 168:

"This time the assignment is "Better Off Red!".

Great mandate!

Al, did you create the new turns list yet?

It should be going out later on today, since I figure we've got
everybody that wants in by now...

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old August 28th 04, 07:35 PM
Annika1980

So now to think about "Red".

Dammit! I just loaded B&W this morning!!!

Can't you use a red filter?

Old August 28th 04, 08:02 PM
Al Denelsbeck

(st3ph3nm) wrote in
om:

Al Denelsbeck wrote in message
.168...

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/red

Have fun!

- Al.

Ah, crap. I *knew* I'd missed a mandate, but I couldn't find it via
Google. I should have asked last week.

[Clears throat and speaks in an undertone] "...or checked the SI main
gallery, since we put them up there, too, when announced..."

;-)

Heat? Thanks! How am I supposed to find Heat in Melbourne,
Australia, in August?!?
I'll have to skip that one. So now to think about "Red".

Dammit! I just loaded B&W this morning!!!

Funny, I said the same thing to Gordon when he e-mailed it to me,
then read closer and noticed that he *did* cover B&W in there, too. Be
creative. Go find Santa, or Boris Yeltsin (Australia, Russia, same diff,
they're neighbors...)

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old August 28th 04, 10:58 PM
Graham Fountain

"st3ph3nm" wrote in message
om...

Heat? Thanks! How am I supposed to find Heat in Melbourne,
Australia, in August?!?

I've been pondering the same thing. Even up here in sunny QLD, heat is
something lacking at the moment. Considered some archive shots, but thought
not. I took some photos last weekend at a heritage festival of a device
called a "road burner"[1], but due to a number of factors working against
me - there were zillions of people about, any position that would have made
good composition was roped off, and i had to deal with an impatient wife,
all the photos came out looking like crap.
[1] This machine was used in the 20's to make roads on the clay soils of the
local area. It burnt coal/wood/anything flammable, to bake the surface of
the dirt, thus resulting in a hard porcelain like finish. From all reports,
the roads it made were among the smoothest around.
I'll have to skip that one. So now to think about "Red".

already have a few ideas for this one - in B&W no less ;-)