light meter question (still about the Olympus C-2100uz)

Old November 29th 04, 01:21 AM
Puzzled

Default light meter question (still about the Olympus C-2100uz)

Ok, just on the off chance that I can be any more confused about the
Olympus c-2100uz, I have one more question. Should I invest in a light
meter? I have been looking at several but the cost leaves me breathless
.... thanks.

Old November 29th 04, 02:25 AM
Michael Meissner

"Puzzled" writes:

Ok, just on the off chance that I can be any more confused about the
Olympus c-2100uz, I have one more question. Should I invest in a light
meter? I have been looking at several but the cost leaves me breathless
... thanks.

As noted, this probably should go on rec.photo.digital.zlr.

For most users, generally not (after all the camera has a reflective light
meter already). If you were getting into studio lighting then a flash meter is
definately recomended, and there are perhaps times when an incident meter is
called for.

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old November 29th 04, 08:47 AM
David J Taylor

Puzzled wrote:
Ok, just on the off chance that I can be any more confused about the
Olympus c-2100uz, I have one more question. Should I invest in a light
meter? I have been looking at several but the cost leaves me
breathless ... thanks.

Why would you want to do that if you can reply the image and check the
exposure by the histogram?

David

Old November 29th 04, 09:28 AM
Bruce Murphy

"David J Taylor" writes:

Puzzled wrote:
Ok, just on the off chance that I can be any more confused about the
Olympus c-2100uz, I have one more question. Should I invest in a light
meter? I have been looking at several but the cost leaves me
breathless ... thanks.

Why would you want to do that if you can reply the image and check the
exposure by the histogram?

So you can get a good feel for incident light on various parts of your
subject? So you can set up and balance flash sensibly?

Old November 29th 04, 09:43 AM
David J Taylor

Bruce Murphy wrote:
"David J Taylor" writes:

Puzzled wrote:
Ok, just on the off chance that I can be any more confused about the
Olympus c-2100uz, I have one more question. Should I invest in a
light meter? I have been looking at several but the cost leaves me
breathless ... thanks.

Why would you want to do that if you can reply the image and check
the exposure by the histogram?

So you can get a good feel for incident light on various parts of your
subject? So you can set up and balance flash sensibly?

OK, I can see that. I would still have thought it preferable to judge by
the effect on the final image, though.

David

Old November 29th 04, 10:03 AM
Bruce Murphy

"David J Taylor" writes:

Bruce Murphy wrote:
"David J Taylor" writes:

Puzzled wrote:
Ok, just on the off chance that I can be any more confused about the
Olympus c-2100uz, I have one more question. Should I invest in a
light meter? I have been looking at several but the cost leaves me
breathless ... thanks.

Why would you want to do that if you can reply the image and check
the exposure by the histogram?

So you can get a good feel for incident light on various parts of your
subject? So you can set up and balance flash sensibly?

OK, I can see that. I would still have thought it preferable to judge by
the effect on the final image, though.

Well, I suppose you can try and judge it from a sub-2-inch LCD which
varies in contrast as you tilt it, but I don't like that much of a
challenge.

I also feel that being able to see what effect _quantified_ things
haveon an image is far preferable to just fiddling about until it
looks right. Particularly if you ever want to do it again.

But I was out and about last night with a D70 and a sekonic meter, so
it is entirely possible that I'm an a non-standard digital camera user.

Old November 29th 04, 12:56 PM
Michael Meissner

"David J Taylor" writes:

Puzzled wrote:
Ok, just on the off chance that I can be any more confused about the
Olympus c-2100uz, I have one more question. Should I invest in a light
meter? I have been looking at several but the cost leaves me
breathless ... thanks.

Why would you want to do that if you can reply the image and check the
exposure by the histogram?

The C-2100UZ was made before it was common to display histograms in the camera,
so you need to upload the picture to a computer to display the histogram.

--
Michael Meissner
email: