Digital photo of a page to be viewed on mac and pc

Old January 30th 07, 09:21 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,rec.photo.digital
William Mitchell

Default Digital photo of a page to be viewed on mac and pc

"John of Aix" writes:

PDF requires something to convert to PDFwhich is not native to a basic
PC, en top of that for what it doezs (we're talking one page here) it
incredibly heavy (Kb wise) and generally, in my opinion, PDF is crap and
a waste of time. I have never yet seen a file that couldn't be handled
just as well as Word document or similar.

You think that pdf is "incredibly heavy" and want a _word_ file
instead??????

Incidentally conversion to pdf _is_ native on a Mac --- and this is a
Mac group, not a Microsoft group.

--
Bill Mitchell
Dept of Mathematics, The University of Florida
Old January 30th 07, 10:03 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,rec.photo.digital
J.F. Cornwall

William Mitchell wrote:
"John of Aix" writes:

PDF requires something to convert to PDFwhich is not native to a basic
PC, en top of that for what it doezs (we're talking one page here) it
incredibly heavy (Kb wise) and generally, in my opinion, PDF is crap and
a waste of time. I have never yet seen a file that couldn't be handled
just as well as Word document or similar.

You think that pdf is "incredibly heavy" and want a _word_ file
instead??????

Incidentally conversion to pdf _is_ native on a Mac --- and this is a
Mac group, not a Microsoft group.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

True only for one of the *three* groups this discussion is carried in...

Jim
Old January 30th 07, 10:43 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,rec.photo.digital
John of Aix

Ken Lucke wrote:
In article , John of Aix
wrote:

John of Aix wrote:

Whoops, in French again.

I was saying that PDF is for nutcases. A simple JPG, BMP, GIF or any
other quasi-universal file will be perfectly OK

"Portable Document Format" files, a file format specifically and
intentionally designed to be capable of being read by freely available
(and free of charge) readers on virtually every graphics-screen
capable computer known to mankind, aren't "quasi-universal"?

OK.

Yes and it requires special software or add-ons to be created. Classic
image formats do not. This is a photo remember, a PDF will not improve
it in any way.

Old January 30th 07, 10:45 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,rec.photo.digital
John of Aix

William Mitchell wrote:
"John of Aix" writes:

PDF requires something to convert to PDFwhich is not native to a
basic PC, en top of that for what it doezs (we're talking one page
here) it incredibly heavy (Kb wise) and generally, in my opinion,
PDF is crap and a waste of time. I have never yet seen a file that
couldn't be handled just as well as Word document or similar.

You think that pdf is "incredibly heavy" and want a _word_ file
instead??????

I didn't say that it would be better Kb-wise but that it could be
supplied in lots of other formats

Incidentally conversion to pdf _is_ native on a Mac --- and this is a
Mac group, not a Microsoft group.

I suggest you check the headers.

Old January 30th 07, 10:56 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,rec.photo.digital
Jolly Roger

On 2007-01-30 15:01:55 -0600, "John of Aix" said:

C J Campbell wrote:
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:26:54 -0800, RPS wrote
(in article ):

I have to take a digital photograph of a page (US letter size, mostly
text). The resulting computer file would be distrubuted among several
people who for viewing and printing on both Macs and PC's.

I do not have any way to know who will have what software installed
on their computer, so I must assume a basic generic setup.

With that in mind, (1) What format do I want? (2) What size the file
should be in pixels, for it to be viewed comfortably on screen and
printed?

Thanks.

PDF is the only way to go. It is the most simple, everyone can read
it, and it doesn't change the way it looks from one computer to
another.

It also requires third party software and for that is not the best
choice for anyone. A simple image of good quality will do fine in the
case under discussion.

Since when does File Print ... PDF Save As PDF require third-party
software?

--
JR

Old January 30th 07, 11:10 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,rec.photo.digital
Mike Rosenberg

William Mitchell wrote:

and this is a Mac group, not a Microsoft group.

This thread is crossposted to three groups, only one of which is a Mac
group.

--
http://designsbymike.biz/macconsultshop.shtml Mac-themed T-shirts
http://designsbymike.biz/musings.shtml Mostly muckraking T-shirts
Old January 30th 07, 11:10 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,rec.photo.digital
Mike Rosenberg

Jolly Roger wrote:

Since when does File Print ... PDF Save As PDF require third-party
software?

This thread is crossposted to three news groups.

Old January 30th 07, 11:22 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,rec.photo.digital
Ken Lucke

In article , William Mitchell
wrote:

"John of Aix" writes:

PDF requires something to convert to PDFwhich is not native to a basic
PC, en top of that for what it doezs (we're talking one page here) it
incredibly heavy (Kb wise) and generally, in my opinion, PDF is crap and
a waste of time. I have never yet seen a file that couldn't be handled
just as well as Word document or similar.

You think that pdf is "incredibly heavy" and want a _word_ file
instead??????

Incidentally conversion to pdf _is_ native on a Mac --- and this is a
Mac group, not a Microsoft group.

No, it's a bunch of groups cross-posted, including a photo groups _and_
an M$ group, or didn't you check before replying?

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old January 30th 07, 11:38 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,rec.photo.digital
Jolly Roger

On 2007-01-30 01:26:54 -0600, RPS said:

I have to take a digital photograph of a page (US letter size, mostly
text). The resulting computer file would be distrubuted among several
people who for viewing and printing on both Macs and PC's.

I do not have any way to know who will have what software installed on
their computer, so I must assume a basic generic setup.

With that in mind, (1) What format do I want? (2) What size the file
should be in pixels, for it to be viewed comfortably on screen and
printed?

Thanks.

What operating system is running on the host computer on which you will
create the file?

--
JR