Nikon D200 to Canon SLRs comparison

Old August 8th 06, 07:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jeremy Hodges

Default Nikon D200 to Canon SLRs comparison

Hi group,

I had the good fortune to use the Nikon D200 for 3 weeks at a newspaper job.
Coming from using a Canon 10D, it seemed light years faster on the draw than
my old Canon in terms of focusing speed, focusing accuracy, shutter
response, viewfinder blackout duration (while the shutter opens). It was as
if I was able to capture the moment of impact much more precisely in, say,
tennis than with my 10D.

Now, I'm not about to give up all my Canon stuff for one Nikon camera.
Canon's controls and image quality are still better. What I'd like to know
is if anyone has used, say, a 30D side by side with a D200, or a 5D with a
D200, or a 1D mark2 with a D200 and was able to notice a difference in those
things I mentioned above (The 1Ds mark2 is light years beyond my price
range, so don't bother with that). I think the thing that most got me was
the shutter response and blackout time, that gave me a much better idea of
what I was going to get in the frame, as opposed to the 10D where you have
to press the button a split second before the anticipated moment and the
viewfinder is black for a noticably longer time and you wonder which part of
the action you actually got.

It's interesting to see Nikon with a very quick camera like that for
$2000US. That's why I'd like to know if the $1500 30D can match its speed.
If only viewfinder size matched; I love the large area in the D200 and the
5D. I've read that the 5D has great shutter response, but how about
blackout time? I'm sure the 1D mark2 can blow the D200 away, but I am still
curious to see by how much.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Old August 8th 06, 07:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MarkČ

Jeremy Hodges wrote:
[...]

You're comparing a three-generation-old Canon with a brand new Nikon.
The 20D and 30D are FAR more quick and responsive compared with the 10D (I
still own a 10D, along with my 5D).

Apples to oranges.
If you had a 30D or 20D in your hands, you'd have a very different
impression.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old August 8th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jeremy Hodges

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message
Jeremy Hodges wrote:
[...]

That's why I wanted to know how the new ones stack up to the D200! I
haven't used a new Canon camera side by side with the D200, and I wanted to
get the opinion of someone who did.

Old August 8th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
AaronW

MarkČ (lowest even number here) wrote:
Jeremy Hodges wrote:
[...]

But AF speed, AF accuracy, shutter response, etc., are not digital
specific. Have these technology advanced a lot in film cameras too
after 10D (2003)?

http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#slr

Old August 8th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mogens Hansen

"Jeremy Hodges" wrote in message

[888]
What I'd like to know
is if anyone has used, say, a 30D side by side with a D200

See
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...7891-8214-8216
paragraph "What's missing ?"

Kind regards

Mogens Hansen

Old August 8th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Proconsul

On 2006-08-07 23:28:06 -0700, "Jeremy Hodges" said:

Hi group,

[...]

I use the D200 while my son owns and uses a 20D.......

I've used his and he's used mine.......

My experience tells me that BOTH cameras are high quality units capable
of taking exceptional pictures technically. Neither can make a poor
photographer into a great one. Neither can substitute for "artistic"
flair or experience...

BOTH are excellent choices - and I believe the endless argument and
request for "comparison" begs the obvious question. Since BOTH are
quality products with essentially identical performance, it's a "Ford
vs Chevrolet" argument, i.e., a matter of personal preference.....

Find the one you like best and then buy it and enjoy the results. These
"comparisons" aren't really useful.......IMO!

PC

Old August 9th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jeremy Hodges

Thank you, Mr. Mogens Hansen. That was very useful.

Now, does anyone know how the Canon 5D compares to the Nikon D200 in the
criteria of shutter response, viewfinder blackout duration, focus speed and
focus accuracy?

Thanks,
Jeremy

. dk...

Old August 9th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bob Patton

On 2006-08-07 23:28:06 -0700, "Jeremy Hodges"
said:

//snip//
It's interesting to see Nikon with a very quick camera like that for
$2000US. That's why I'd like to know if the $1500 30D can match its
speed.
If only viewfinder size matched; I love the large area in the D200 and
the
5D. I've read that the 5D has great shutter response, but how about
blackout time? I'm sure the 1D mark2 can blow the D200 away, but I am
still
curious to see by how much.

Thanks,
Jeremy

//snip//
Find the one you like best and then buy it and enjoy the results. These
"comparisons" aren't really useful.......IMO!

PC

I have a 20D - It's marvelous and I assume the 30d is a little better. At
this level of camera quality the choice of lens is more important than
whether it's the Nikon or the Canon. Also depends on how much you plan to
enlarge your photos. Assuming identical lenses and satisfactory ergonomics,
the quality of the image may not be much different unless you're using the
full 10mp, which means you're doing some serious cropping and enlarging. I
suspect most people get lots of camera and then fail to take advantage of it
by not getting good lenses, processing software, and printer. And by not
being prepared to spend LOTS of time doing the really artistic stuff:
processing the image.
RWP

Old August 10th 06, 08:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jeremy Hodges

So, are you saying you didn't notice a difference in those things I
mentioned? That's all I want to know about, not which camera is going to
make me a better photographer.

Old August 11th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Proconsul

On 2006-08-10 00:53:32 -0700, "Jeremy Hodges" said:

So, are you saying you didn't notice a difference in those things I
mentioned? That's all I want to know about, not which camera is going to
make me a better photographer.

The "differences" are minor and, IMO, have no effect whatsoever when
determining which camera might be best for you......

As I said, try 'em on for size and pick the one YOU like best -
regardless of these "differences" - and which one suits YOUR purposes
best.....

They are both high quality, full-featured cameras capable of producing
exceptional images....but YOU, and your "skills" are ten times more
important in producing those exceptional images than any "difference"
in the implementation of technology by one or the other....

Nikon and Canon both make and market great cameras - pick the one you
like and forget about all these -IMO - silly comparisons.....

PC