Fujifilm F30 More GOLD!!!

Old July 19th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Fujifilm F30 More GOLD!!!

When will this benchmark be beat? ANOTHER top_of_the_heap/class star
rated report

Another class win for THE compact in the digital camera field!

Well done Fujifilm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,AGAIN!

"Excellent image quality.
Very little noise up to 400 ISO.
Aperture and Shutter priority modes.
Very responsive camera.
High definition 2.5-inch LCD monitor"

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/fuj...30-results.php

Old July 19th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

" wrote in message
oups.com...
When will this benchmark be beat? ANOTHER top_of_the_heap/class star
rated report

Another class win for THE compact in the digital camera field!

Well done Fujifilm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,AGAIN!

"Excellent image quality.
Very little noise up to 400 ISO.
Aperture and Shutter priority modes.
Very responsive camera.
High definition 2.5-inch LCD monitor"

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/fuj...30-results.php

I have been away for a few days, so have only just read this latest piece
"Fluff".

It is still just a very ordinary point and shoot camera, and is nothing like
a benchmark.

Roy G

Old July 19th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SteveB

I had the money hot in my pocket for one of these, I thought all they had to
do was iron out the wrinkles in the F10/F11, but we get poor colours, burnt
out skies and purple fringing galore. It has its good points like very
good resolution and low noise but it's not enough is it?

Old July 19th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
minnesotti

SteveB wrote:
I had the money hot in my pocket for one of these, I thought all they had to
do was iron out the wrinkles in the F10/F11, but we get poor colours, burnt
out skies and purple fringing galore. It has its good points like very
good resolution and low noise but it's not enough is it?

Hm... I thought that CCD sensor in Fuji F30 should have a wider dynamic
range than an average point-n-shoot camera has, due to the proprietary
Fuji technology and the larger pixel size (they have -- what -- 3 MP on
a 1/1.8" sensor while the cameras have the same amount on a 1/2.5"
sensor).

What I expect from camera is that the highlights are not blown, and the
details in shadows are worked through. I think this is called a high
dynamic range.

Old July 22nd 06, 06:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
m Ransley

And no Image Stabilisation the competitors have, why, because only
Fuji, has none avalaible. Till then it leads nothing.

Old July 22nd 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Sivori

m Ransley wrote:

And no Image Stabilisation the competitors have, why, because only
Fuji, has none avalaible. Till then it leads nothing.

Unlike the OP, I'm certainly not claiming this is the best camera, or even
a good camera for everyone for every purpose.

That said, I like my F10. I've now taken quite a few pictures (about 250)
with it, and only two of them came out blurry. They were macros, I tried
to take a shot of a curious looking insect on a wall. The straight above
shots came out well. But when I put the camera against the wall and tried
to take a from the side photo of the bug, the auto focus failed to acquire
the target.

So for the two blurry photos I managed to take, image stabilization would
be been useless since the camera was motionless and so was the subject.

Except for those two photos, I haven't been able to take any blurry or
poorly exposed photos with the camera. That includes a few taken out my
car window while the vehicle was in motion, some of moving vehicles in the
oncoming lane, and some of them taken through the glass.

--
Tony Sivori

Old July 23rd 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Tuthill

Tony Sivori wrote:

But with no viewfinder, no raw format, few manual controls, the rather
confusing menu structure, a washed out led in bright light, this is not
the perfect camera for everyone.

When you say "washed out led in bright light" do you mean that highlights
burn out in final images, or that the LCD is hard to see in sunlight?
If the former, did you try "Beach" mode, assuming the F10 has it?

I can live without raw format and viewfinder in a small camera, I guess.
It *would* be helpful to have dedicated knobs for changing ISO and WB.
I seldom use manual controls, except manual focus, on my SLR, and it's
hard to believe I could use manual focus with an LCD viewfinder.

What appeals to me about the F30 is its high ISO. A DSLR is too heavy
and large for most of my photography.

Old July 24th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Sivori

Bill Tuthill wrote:

Tony Sivori wrote:

But with no viewfinder, no raw format, few manual controls, the rather
confusing menu structure, a washed out led in bright light, this is not
the perfect camera for everyone.

When you say "washed out led in bright light" do you mean that
highlights burn out in final images, or that the LCD is hard to see in
sunlight?

Sorry for being unclear. I meant the LCD is very difficult to see if you
are taking a picture in bright sunlight and the LCD itself is also in
bright direct sunlight. I've taken a few shots that were essentially
shooting blind. As for the pictures, assuming you manage to get what you
wanted in the photo, they turn out fine.

If the former, did you try "Beach" mode, assuming the F10 has it?

The F10 doesn't have a beach mode, or anything like it. Just suppressed
flash, night, continuous shoot, movie, and macro. I believe the F30 has
substantially more built in modes.

I've constructed a makeshift black construction paper hood (almost a
square tube really) with the hope that the LED will be easier to see if it
is shaded, but I haven't tried it out yet.

The F30 is supposed to address the LED problem, with a higher resolution
LED and improved visibility in sunlight.

--
Tony Sivori

Old July 24th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Tuthill

Tony Sivori wrote:

Sorry for being unclear. I meant the LCD is very difficult to see if you
are taking a picture in bright sunlight and the LCD itself is also in
bright direct sunlight. I've taken a few shots that were essentially
shooting blind. As for the pictures, assuming you manage to get what you
wanted in the photo, they turn out fine.

Thanks for the clarification. The F30 LCD has "gain-up" in bright light,
and reviewers say that makes the LCD visible even in direct sunlight,
but you know how reviewers can lie sometimes.

If the former, did you try "Beach" mode, assuming the F10 has it?

The F10 doesn't have a beach mode, or anything like it. Just suppressed
flash, night, continuous shoot, movie, and macro. I believe the F30 has
substantially more built in modes.

User reviews of the F30 on dpreview.com's Fuji forum say that the F30
often produces washed-out highlights. That was the principal complaint
two weeks ago. Nobody knows if Beach mode helps or not, but I imagine
it might reduce contrast.

The F30 is supposed to address the LED problem, with a higher resolution
LED and improved visibility in sunlight.

Oops, my first paragraph was redundant.