Digital F Stop question

Old March 22nd 05, 04:51 PM
Bruce Chastain

Default Digital F Stop question

I'm been looking at the Nikon D70 and have been surprised at the offered
standard lens, Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5.

I'm aware of the multiplication factor one must to use to convert the mm to
35 mm camera equivalent because of the sensor size, but is there also some
sort of conversion for f-stops as well?

In other words, assuming ASA-100 for both a 35 mm film camera and the Nikon
D70, would the Nikon f/3.5 lens be as slow as it sounds, and so
inappropriate for low light level photography?

Thanks,
Bruce.

Old March 22nd 05, 05:17 PM
Bruce Chastain

"Diane Wilson" wrote in message
No, the F-stop is a factor of the focal length and aperture
size, so it doesn't change with the size of the film or
sensor.

Ok, thanks for the information.

Yeah, f3.5 is kind of slow, but sufficient for general
photography. To get something significantly faster, you'd
need to go to a single focal length lens. I picked up the
Nikkor 50mm/f1.8 at the same time that I bought my D70;
that's an extremely sharp and inexpensive lens that happens
to be a good portrait length for digital.

And thanks for the suggestion!

Bruce.

Old March 22nd 05, 05:20 PM
paul

Bruce Chastain wrote:
I'm been looking at the Nikon D70 and have been surprised at the offered
standard lens, Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5.

I'm aware of the multiplication factor one must to use to convert the mm to
35 mm camera equivalent because of the sensor size, but is there also some
sort of conversion for f-stops as well?

In other words, assuming ASA-100 for both a 35 mm film camera and the Nikon
D70, would the Nikon f/3.5 lens be as slow as it sounds, and so
inappropriate for low light level photography?

There is no conversion for f-stop but digital does have less noise
(grain) and you can up the ISO for low light shooting more than film.
You might say there should be an ISO conversion factor where maybe ISO
800 digital is equal to ISO 100 film in terms of visible noise/grain
(I'm just throwing random numbers but I believe there is a difference).
BTW the D70 starts at ISO 200, no lower.

So f/3.5 in digital with ISO 1600 (max) will probably do better than
film in low light, you just won't have the blurry backgrounds. Also you
will have problems with autofocus in low light & there is no focusing
screen on the smaller viewfinder.

You can get the 50mm f/1.8 for another $100 & that's supposed to be
really an excellent lens. You will definitely want the kit lens unless
you plan to spend a lot on a super wide angle.
Old March 22nd 05, 10:24 PM
chidalgo

Bruce Chastain wrote:

I'm been looking at the Nikon D70 and have been surprised at the offered
standard lens, Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5.

I'm aware of the multiplication factor one must to use to convert the mm to
35 mm camera equivalent because of the sensor size, but is there also some
sort of conversion for f-stops as well?

In other words, assuming ASA-100 for both a 35 mm film camera and the Nikon
D70, would the Nikon f/3.5 lens be as slow as it sounds, and so
inappropriate for low light level photography?

yes: it's 3.5

If you want something faster, go for the 17-55mm/f2.8, or for the
50mm/f1.4, or any other fast lens.

--
chidalgo
Old March 23rd 05, 03:59 AM
C J Campbell

"Bubbabob" wrote in message
. 3.30...
"Bruce Chastain" wrote:

In other words, assuming ASA-100 for both a 35 mm film camera and the
Nikon D70, would the Nikon f/3.5 lens be as slow as it sounds, and so
inappropriate for low light level photography?

The D70 doesn't have a 100 ISO sensitivity. ASA? Where you been the last

30
years? g.

Watch it, Bub. I still use descriptive notation for chess, as well as ASA
for film. :-)

Old March 23rd 05, 02:52 PM
Bruce Chastain

The D70 doesn't have a 100 ISO sensitivity. ASA? Where you been the last
30
years? g.

Whoops, sorry. I clearly gave away my age and history with film cameras.
:-)

Bruce,

Old March 23rd 05, 04:44 PM
Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

Bruce Chastain wrote:

I'm been looking at the Nikon D70 and have been surprised at the offered
standard lens, Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5.

I'm aware of the multiplication factor one must to use to convert the mm to
35 mm camera equivalent because of the sensor size, but is there also some
sort of conversion for f-stops as well?

In other words, assuming ASA-100 for both a 35 mm film camera and the Nikon
D70, would the Nikon f/3.5 lens be as slow as it sounds, and so
inappropriate for low light level photography?

Thanks,
Bruce.

Basically yes. Making low f/# lenses is expensive, especially low f/#
ZOOM lenses.
Old March 24th 05, 03:00 AM
Randall Ainsworth

In article t, Bruce
Chastain wrote:

The D70 doesn't have a 100 ISO sensitivity. ASA? Where you been the last
30
years? g.

Whoops, sorry. I clearly gave away my age and history with film cameras.
:-)

It will always be ASA to me too.