Digital vs Film

Old June 20th 04, 02:26 AM
Searching@for an answer.com

Default Digital vs Film

After taking 35mm photographs for over thirty years I decided that I want to
digitize my negatives. I read about Nikon's equipment as well at Minolta and
Canon. Are there any current articles that compare the equipment against
each other using a Laboratory type of standard throughout the tests?
Old June 20th 04, 03:57 AM
Tony Spadaro

No. I can tell you Nikon service is lousy and because of a problem with my
4000 ed scanner I will never buy anything Nikon makes again. It took three
months and two trips (to say nothing of the 350 dollars) for them to
actually fix it and it came back running at 1/3rd the speed it had before.
When I emailed asking what gives they never bothered to answer.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
link.net...

Old June 20th 04, 06:07 PM
Alan Browne

Searching@for wrote:

After taking 35mm photographs for over thirty years I decided that I want to
digitize my negatives. I read about Nikon's equipment as well at Minolta and
Canon. Are there any current articles that compare the equipment against
each other using a Laboratory type of standard throughout the tests?

The top dogs for home scanning these days seem to be the Minolta
DSE 5400 and the Nikon 4000/5000 scanners.

Various tests show, that despite the higher scan res of the 5400,
that the Nikons at 4000 dpi make slightly sharper images. This
is splitting very fine hairs in any case.

Chasseur d'Images in issue 260 rated the DSE 5400 behind the
Coolscan V ED and the Super Coolscan 5000 ED; and about equal
with the 4000 ED.

comp.periphs.scanners is where the scanning gurus hang out.

Cheers,
Alan

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Old June 21st 04, 12:28 AM
Bowzre

I owned a Minolta Multi-Pro and then sold it to buy a Nikon 8000 scanner.
The Nikon is better, but you've got to take care with some films to avoid
banding. I think the new 9000 scanner fixes this, but I haven't actually
used it. The Nikon has been good, but needed service once. I sent the unit
to Nikon in Mellville, NY, and got it back in 2 weeks. No problems since
then. I estimate I've scanned about six to eight thousand images.