Performance of CF card

Old November 23rd 04, 09:54 PM
David Zou

Default Performance of CF card

Hi:

Does the speed of the CF cards contribute significantly to the response of
the
camera? Say 300D/DRebel

Does the 8X, 13X card severely decrease the speed of the camera?

Anyway I would expect there is a saturation...i.e. the 40X performs
similarly to 80X...

Anyone online review about the CF cards...?

Cheers

Old November 23rd 04, 10:35 PM
Charles Schuler

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

Old November 23rd 04, 10:35 PM
Charles Schuler

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

Old November 23rd 04, 11:36 PM
traction

Does the speed of the CF cards contribute significantly to the response of
the
camera? Say 300D/DRebel

Does the 8X, 13X card severely decrease the speed of the camera?

Anyway I would expect there is a saturation...i.e. the 40X performs
similarly to 80X...

Don't think EOS300D can take advantage of CF speed --EOS20D can and does.

Old November 23rd 04, 11:55 PM
David Zou

it seems to be the slowest DSLR in terms of data writing.
How does this affect the actual use?

Old November 24th 04, 12:53 PM
Leonard Lehew

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:54:30 -0000, "David Zou"
wrote:

Hi:

Does the speed of the CF cards contribute significantly to the response of
the
camera? Say 300D/DRebel

Does the 8X, 13X card severely decrease the speed of the camera?

Anyway I would expect there is a saturation...i.e. the 40X performs
similarly to 80X...

Anyone online review about the CF cards...?

Cheers

It depends on how you shoot. Digital cameras don't write data directly
to the CF card as the picture is taken. The data from the camera's
sensor is captured in the camera's internal buffer memory. Then the
data is processed by the camera and written to the CF card. Writing to
the CF card is the most time-consuming part of this process. Even so,
this writing process only takes a few seconds. So unless you need to
take another picture within a few seconds, the speed of the CF card
doesn't matter.

I am pretty deliberate about the pictures I take. I usually have a
pretty clear idea in mind of the result I want, and I take time to
compose, frame, and snap the picture. For me, the speed of the CF card
is pretty much irrelevant.

On the other hand, if you take a lot of "action" shots and want to
take a lot of pictures in a hurry, this may be more of a factor. The
reason I said "may" is that even fast CF cards can't write fast enough
to capture several frames per second. In order to capture pictures
really quickly, your camera needs enough buffer memory to hold several
digital images. Cameras vary in the amount of buffer memory they have.
For example, if your camera has enough buffer memory to hold 4 images,
you can take 4 images as fast as the camera can fire regardless of the
speed of the CF card. At that point, things have to wait until at
least one image is written to the CF card.

For most applications, I think there are other issues that affect
overall camera response more than the speed of the CF card.

Cheers,

Leonard
Old November 24th 04, 02:05 PM
David Zou

"David Zou" wrote in message
Hi:

Does the speed of the CF cards contribute significantly to the response of
the
camera? Say 300D/DRebel

Does the 8X, 13X card severely decrease the speed of the camera?

Anyway I would expect there is a saturation...i.e. the 40X performs
similarly to 80X...

Anyone online review about the CF cards...?

Cheers

Thanks for all the replies...
thats really make sense!
Cheers