Seeking recommendation for Laptop (Windows) suitable for photography

Old October 15th 12, 12:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

Default Seeking recommendation for Laptop (Windows) suitable for photography

On 15/10/2012 11:52, Whisky-dave wrote:
[]
My upgrade to Mountail lion cost me under £20 for two computers.
You tell em how much it would cost you to go from say Vista to W7 or from W7 to W8 for two computers ?

I see $39.99 for a Windows-8 upgrade in the USA:

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/b...for-39-99.aspx

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-confi...oo-7000000409/

That's from Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, or the beta
"Release Preview" of Windows-8. There would be little point in a
Windows-7 upgrade once Windows-8 is released. I've been using Windows-8
and find it rather pleasant.
--
Cheers,
David
Old October 15th 12, 02:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 15/10/2012 14:03, Whisky-dave wrote:
[]
And is that for every PC in your home or just one PC ?
The Apple update to the latest OS X is $19.99 for every computer in your household, although I did here there's a limit of 10 .
I got the previous update from Aple for FREE $0.00 (got a DVD in the post no P&P/shipping) took my mini and iMac from Leopard to snow leopard.

Haven;t yet met anyone running windows 8

[]
Haven;t yet met anyone running windows 8 .
I'm runnignW7 at work at it;'s better than XP, some nice features but some less nice ones too.

I believe that's a per-PC price - good value for Vista and XP upgrades
(getting them up to the Windows-7 level), but I'm not sure I would
recommend it for anyone already happy with Windows-7, unless they have a
touch-screen PC.

Windows-8 in preview form has been available for anyone to download
since March this year, so I would be surprised in someone within your
establishment hasn't been running it for a while.
--
Cheers,
David
Old October 15th 12, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

On 10/12/2012 9:55 AM, Savageduck wrote:

I still wonder why anybody would actually want to install OSX on
non-Apple hardware.

Because they have a specific OS-X only app that they want to run.

It's not a trivial task to install OS-X on non-Apple hardware. During
the netbook craze it was easier, but the netbooks were so underpowered
that OS-X ran poorly.

With the release of Windows 7, there was much less of a reason to try to
run OS-X.

Old October 15th 12, 05:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

A friend brought an imac a month or so ago and he was given a code to redeem
to getdownload mountain lion FREE .

that's because what he bought had lion on it, even though mountain lion
has been out a while.