Flatbeds max out at 2000dpi for negs...??

Old August 10th 04, 11:20 PM
Gordon Moat

Default Flatbeds max out at 2000dpi for negs...??

jjs wrote:

"Gordon Moat" wrote in message

It is possible to install up to 16 GB of RAM in a new G5. However, until

MacOS
X 10.4 (Tiger) gets released, any one application can only call up a

maximum of
4 GB at a time. [...]

In our imaging lab I have two dual-processor G5s with 4GM RAM and all either
will take is 8GB and Photoshop (CS) can address a maximum of 1.7GB. Did
someone come out with 2GB RAM chips? So you are saying other applications
can actually occupy 4GB? I'd be surprised.

Sorry about that . . . I should be careful quoting from developer notes. ;-)
The 2 GB chips should be able to fit into your current G5, and work. Coming
soon! More he

http://www.vikinginterworks.com/news/releases/planar2.asp Don't expect them
to be cheap.

Anyway, I know PhotoShop is not set to go to 4 GB of memory usage. So far, I
think only a few scientific applications might experiment at the 4 GB limit.
There seems to be a programming problem to avoid crashes when accessing beyond
3 GB, which would seem to indicate that something lower would be a better
working limit.

Of course, if there is not current image editing software that uses that much
RAM, then it does not matter for our uses. I have been handling really large
image files with under 512 MB RAM for a while, just not in PhotoShop. There are
some other image editing software choices, though few are still available, or
have an OS X version. Like it or not, PhotoShop has become the least common
denominator for most high end editing today.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com Updated!

Old August 10th 04, 11:29 PM
Frank Pittel

Lassi Hippel?inen wrote:
: jjs wrote:
:
: "David J. Littleboy" wrote in message
: ...
:
: There's a version of XP that can use 3GB, but it may be expensive since
: it's
: a "server" version. I was under the impression that the OS-X didn't have
: that limitation, since I seem to recall hearing a Machead claim that.
: Oops.
:
: Now just hold on. XP is XP and has the same limitations your home XP has.
: The so-called 'server' version may have some fancy method of parsing out big
: files, but for your purposes, Adobe CS is very happy to handle files larger
: than 2gb. Just use the SAVE AS option properly. Try it and be happy!

: BTW, does anybody know how much Linux and GIMP can use?

I just checked and the kernel can handle 64GB on an x86 platform. There are
issues with that though. The address space of the 32bit x86 processors is
limited to 4GB. If you have more then that the linux kernel will "permanently"
map 1GB and page the rest 3GB at a time as virtual memory. In reality it's far
more complex and I've simplified to the point of being wrong in the
particulars.:-)

As far as I'm aware gimp (as in most Unix applications) are limited to the
amount of virtual memory available. I know of no means within linux to limit the
amount of memory an application allocates.

-------------------

Old August 10th 04, 11:47 PM
Nick Zentena

Frank Pittel wrote:

As far as I'm aware gimp (as in most Unix applications) are limited to the
amount of virtual memory available. I know of no means within linux to limit the
amount of memory an application allocates.

ulimit?

Nick

Old August 11th 04, 12:39 AM
jjs

"Gordon Moat" wrote in message
jjs wrote:
[...]
Anyway, I know PhotoShop is not set to go to 4 GB of memory usage. So far,

think only a few scientific applications might experiment at the 4 GB

limit.

Nope not yet. The word size of the current OS-X won't allow anything larger
than 2^(32-1). Fact of life. Note the "-1". Very important. As I said, I
have two of 'em. And I can do integer math.

Old August 11th 04, 03:13 AM
Frank Pittel

Nick Zentena wrote:
: Frank Pittel wrote:
:
: As far as I'm aware gimp (as in most Unix applications) are limited to the
: amount of virtual memory available. I know of no means within linux to limit the
: amount of memory an application allocates.

: ulimit?

Isn't ulimit a shell command? If that's the case it wouldn't be enforced by the
kernel.