Black and White

Old November 21st 03, 03:30 AM
Richard

Default Black and White

whom in the US,
is the best, developer for black and white photo's? ( and cheap )

Please give
Company Name, and phone# or web address.

T.I.A

Richard
Old November 21st 03, 05:27 AM
Witheld

In article ,
Richard wrote:
whom in the US,
is the best, developer for black and white photo's? ( and cheap )
Please give
Company Name, and phone# or web address.
T.I.A
Richard

Cheap and best are not compatiable,....especially for B&W.
Sorry its obvious you need more help than I feel compelled to
give.
--
When you live next to the graveyard, you can't cry at every funeral.
Old November 21st 03, 05:56 AM
Lee Hiers, AA4GA

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 05:27:48 GMT, Witheld

Richard wrote:
whom in the US,
is the best, developer for black and white photo's? ( and cheap )
Please give
Company Name, and phone# or web address.
T.I.A
Richard

Cheap and best are not compatiable,....especially for B&W.

Oh, I don't know about that...especially for B&W: do it yourself...of
course there'll probably be a little investment in hardware and
learning curve, but after that it'll be better and cheaper! ;-)

Lee

--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA
Cornelia, GA
Old November 21st 03, 04:11 PM
Michael A. Covington

"Richard" wrote in message
whom in the US,
is the best, developer for black and white photo's? ( and cheap )

Best and cheapest are very different requests, but as a reasonable
compromise, I believe you can have your black-and-white film sent to Kodak
through local camera stores. For many years Kodak only did color, but my
understanding is that they now do black-and-white also.

Old November 21st 03, 07:43 PM
Colyn

Richard wrote:

whom in the US,
is the best, developer for black and white photo's? ( and cheap )

Please give
Company Name, and phone# or web address.

T.I.A

Richard

You best bet for b&w is to find a local b&w pro lab and pay the little
extra.

Most labs process b&w film in color chemistry which usually renders it
purplish..
Colyn Goodson
Fort Worth, Texas

http://home.swbell.net/colyng

http://www.colyngoodson.com
http://www.colyngoodson.com/sale.html
http://www.colyngoodson.com/manuals.html
Old November 21st 03, 09:48 PM
Bob Sull

Richard wrote:

whom in the US,
is the best, developer for black and white photo's? ( and cheap )

Please give
Company Name, and phone# or web address.

T.I.A

Richard

Do it yourself if you are shooting silver based B&W. You have an
investment, but after that, and a learning curve, you should get the
results you want. If you are shooting C-41 B&W, just about any lab
should give you good results.

Look around for a camera club or classes at your local community college
and you can learn about developing your own stuff.

BTW, when it comes to commercial labs, cheap and 'best' are mutually
exclusive.

Have fun.

Bob

Old November 21st 03, 09:50 PM
Bob Sull

Colyn wrote:

Richard wrote:

whom in the US,
is the best, developer for black and white photo's? ( and cheap )

Please give
Company Name, and phone# or web address.

T.I.A

Richard

You best bet for b&w is to find a local b&w pro lab and pay the little
extra.

Most labs process b&w film in color chemistry which usually renders it
purplish..

Uhhhhhh, unless it is C-41 B&W how can it be developed in color chemisrty?

Bob

Old November 21st 03, 11:38 PM
Michael A. Covington

"Colyn" wrote in message

Most labs process b&w film in color chemistry which usually renders it
purplish..

Er... It's a lot more complicated than that.

Conventional black-and-white film cannot be developed in color chemistry.
If you try, it comes out blank.

There are C-41-process black-and-white films designed to be developed in
color chemistry. They work.

If prints from black-and-white negatives are made on color paper, they are
likely to be colored, not neutral gray (purplish is one possibility).

--
Clear skies,

Michael Covington -- www.covingtoninnovations.com
and (new) How to Use a Computerized Telescope

Old December 14th 03, 03:52 AM
Frank Pittel

Michael A. Covington wrote:

: "Richard" wrote in message
: ...
: whom in the US,
: is the best, developer for black and white photo's? ( and cheap )

: Best and cheapest are very different requests, but as a reasonable
: compromise, I believe you can have your black-and-white film sent to Kodak
: through local camera stores. For many years Kodak only did color, but my
: understanding is that they now do black-and-white also.

The developers I use are both good and cheap. I've found that diaphine is not
only a good developer but it's cheap and lasts almost for ever. I also use the
Tmax developers and it's cheap as well. The concentrate to make a gallon of stock
costs ~$10 and diluted 1:9 makes two gallons of developer.