Imagine if photo programs were modular, where you could choose features and set-ups?

Old July 7th 15, 12:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Imagine if photo programs were modular, where you could choose features and set-ups?

On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 20:02:09 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

No more useless crap, no more clutter. Just what you need. All features applicable to be actuated with real-time sliders, given the right computer power.
And the ability to arrange the features on the front page the way you want. Silky Pix (which I hate because it was slow) did have the rudiments of this, you could move pieces of the program around. But that was all.
At set-up, you would be given a large list of check-boxes, where you would pick your features. They would be in blocks so that if an entire feature-set was needed, you'd just check the block. Then, you would have a choice to either pick from say 10 different set-up screens, or you could configure your own. Lastly, you could have interlinks between functions where once you finished with one, it would take you automatically to the next. Plus, all of these items would be infinitely configurable.

Going the whole way is not practicable unless you have a very limited
range of editing needs.

I don't think I have ever had to use all the editing needs in a
program.

I frequently use them in different orders, according to the needs of
the image. For example, I tend to crop and make geometric corrections
before I start the final editing. I play around with the tone curve
(LR Hilights and Shadows) before I make decisions about brightness.
Being locked into a simplified sequence in a fixed order wouldn't suit
me at all.

Eric Stevens