nikon 16-85mm DX VR

Old June 3rd 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bob

Default nikon 16-85mm DX VR

I bought the Nikon 16-85 DX lens the VR11 version . Im shocked to find out
the lens is so close to the lens cap mayb only 2mm . I dont normally go for
lens filters to protect lens . but in this case I will have to get one. any
sugestions which one Im thinkinking of a Hoya Pro 1. Do most of zooms within
this range have the from eliment so close to the lens cap . . The Nikon
16-85 fromt element appaers to be toally flat from the fromt and soo close
to the lens cap

Old June 4th 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Don R.[_2_]

I believe you will get better results with the thinner B+W. Works better at
the wide end, being thinner.

Old June 5th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington[_3_]

"Bob" wrote in message
I bought the Nikon 16-85 DX lens the VR11 version . Im shocked to find out
the lens is so close to the lens cap mayb only 2mm . I dont normally go for
lens filters to protect lens . but in this case I will have to get one. any
sugestions which one Im thinkinking of a Hoya Pro 1. Do most of zooms
within this range have the from eliment so close to the lens cap . . The
Nikon 16-85 fromt element appaers to be toally flat from the fromt and soo
close to the lens cap

A number of the new lenses are like that. Personally I prefer to use the
lens hood to protect the lens rather than a filter, and the hood is
generally useful anyway. Don't you use the hood that came with your 16-85?
I'll agree it's a bit more of a nuisance than a filter you can just leave on
the lens, but I still don't like using filters for that purpose.