cheap 2x teleconverter canon

Old May 10th 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gazz

Default cheap 2x teleconverter canon

i'm buggering off to europe for 6 months in a weeks time, and want to get a
2x teleconverter to use with my 350D,

Can't even think about canon's own brand ones, and am not interested in
getting one from hong kong os similar, take too long and dont want the
hassle.

fleabay seems to have nowt at the moment, well they do, but mainly canon
ones, and too expensive.

i found that Jessops do an own brand 2 x teleconverter for about 90 quid,
and on fleabay they go for about 50,

anyone know of other places that do own brand teleconverters for the canon
camera's cheap-er? not after stunning performance, the photo's i take are
for me and only me, they are just memories of where we've been, but i want
to get in closer to some of the subjects i shoot (squirels up in tree's)

Or anyone in the UK got a 2 x teleconverter for the 350D they will sell me
for a reasonable price?

Old May 10th 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
tomm42

On May 10, 7:52 am, "Gazz" wrote:
[...]

Remeber a teleconverter only works with telephoto type lenses, so if
you have a kit lens only it won't work. Several years ago I bought a
brand X teleconverter and never got acceptable prints from it, bought
a Canon and it was fine with Canon lenses. I have a Nikon now so I'm a
little out of the loop for Canon aftermarket products. In Nikon land
folks seem to like the Kenko teleconverters, Sigma and Tamron have
them too, I'd buy one of these rather than the Jessops.

Tom

Old May 10th 07, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gazz

"tomm42" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 10, 7:52 am, "Gazz" wrote:
i'm buggering off to europe for 6 months in a weeks time, and want to get
2x teleconverter to use with my 350D,

Remeber a teleconverter only works with telephoto type lenses, so if
you have a kit lens only it won't work. Several years ago I bought a
brand X teleconverter and never got acceptable prints from it, bought
a Canon and it was fine with Canon lenses. I have a Nikon now so I'm a
little out of the loop for Canon aftermarket products. In Nikon land
folks seem to like the Kenko teleconverters, Sigma and Tamron have
them too, I'd buy one of these rather than the Jessops.

the lens i want the teleconverter for is the sigma 85-200, just want to get
further than the 200mm.. or what ever it is with the crop factor,

Only shops i found selling non canon converters was jessops, well jacobs do
one, but 30 quid more,

Would prefer a tamaron converter, heard nowt but good stuff about them, but
it's finding a shop where i can walk in, pay and walk out with the
converter,

Budget is the issue here tho, we're off round europe for 6 months, so every
penny so far has gone into that,

Old May 10th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

tomm42 wrote:
Remeber a teleconverter only works with telephoto type lenses, so if
you have a kit lens only it won't work.

Mind to explain what gave you that idea?

jue

Old May 10th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

Gazz wrote:
i'm buggering off to europe for 6 months in a weeks time, and want to
get a 2x teleconverter to use with my 350D,

Can't even think about canon's own brand ones, and am not interested
in getting one from hong kong os similar, take too long and dont want
the hassle.

2 Kenko, 1 Tamron:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/3results...+%3C%3D+149.99

jue

Old May 10th 07, 04:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Joseph Meehan

tomm42 wrote:
On May 10, 7:52 am, "Gazz" wrote:

Remeber a teleconverter only works with telephoto type lenses, so if
you have a kit lens only it won't work....

Tom

They "work" with just about any lens, but they tend to work best with
telephotos.

They also demand more of a original lens so the results of even a very
good converter may be disappointing with any lens. I suggest the OP bring
his camera and lens to a Jessops that has the converter and try it out to
see if it meets his needs.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old May 10th 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ron Recer

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
tomm42 wrote:
On May 10, 7:52 am, "Gazz" wrote:

..

Remeber a teleconverter only works with telephoto type lenses, so if
you have a kit lens only it won't work....

Tom

They "work" with just about any lens, but they tend to work best with
telephotos.

I believe he was saying that many/most teleconverts won't work with the EF-S
mount of the kit lens.

Ron

Old May 10th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Joseph Meehan

Ron Recer wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
tomm42 wrote:
On May 10, 7:52 am, "Gazz" wrote:

..

Remeber a teleconverter only works with telephoto type lenses, so if
you have a kit lens only it won't work....

Tom

They "work" with just about any lens, but they tend to work best
with telephotos.

I believe he was saying that many/most teleconverts won't work with
the EF-S mount of the kit lens.

Ron

And I believe that is true.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old May 11th 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Gazz wrote:
i'm buggering off to europe for 6 months in a weeks time, and want to get a
2x teleconverter to use with my 350D,

Can't even think about canon's own brand ones,

Unless you have a high quality non-zoom or exceptional high
quality zoom lens you want to couple with the teleconverter,
you'll be disappointed.

An usable 1.4x (or 1.5x) converter will usually not degrade the
image too much, but unless you get a good 2x converter, you'll
be disappointed. Unfortunately, they are expensive ... but
much cheaper than a long lens.

not after stunning performance, the photo's i take are
for me and only me, they are just memories of where we've been, but i want
to get in closer to some of the subjects i shoot (squirels up in tree's)

You might be better off with a less ambitious 1.4x converter and
cropping and "digital zoom" (upsampling) than with a cheapish
2x converter. If you can manage at all, do some testing before
you commit money.

-Wolfgang
Old May 14th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
tomm42

On May 10, 12:32 pm, "Ron Recer" wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

... tomm42 wrote:
On May 10, 7:52 am, "Gazz" wrote:

..

Remeber a teleconverter only works with telephoto type lenses, so if
you have a kit lens only it won't work....

Tom

They "work" with just about any lens, but they tend to work best with
telephotos.

I believe he was saying that many/most teleconverts won't work with the EF-S
mount of the kit lens.

Ron

They also demand more of a original lens so the results of even a very
good converter may be disappointing with any lens. I suggest the OP bring
his camera and lens to a Jessops that has the converter and try it out to
see if it meets his needs.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

What I was saying is that teleconverters are optically designed to
work with telephoto lenses, not normals or wide angles (especially not
WA lenses). Can you put a normal or WA lens on a teleconverter, sure
but your results will be compromised. In fact some kit lenses push
their rear element back so it may hit the front element of the
converter (I beleive the Nikon 18-200 does this). Since you are
essentially changing the optical design of the lens you are putting
the teleconverter on, it is just a good idea to use a type of lens
that the converter is designed for. The OP saying he is using it on a
85-200 is in that range.
Also remember that you loose the light at the power of the converter.
So an f4 lens with a 2x converter is an f8 lens, or a f5.6 lens with a
1.4 converter.

Tom