Nikon D70s, NEF, and Macintosh

Old October 9th 05, 07:34 AM
Jeremy Nixon

Nikon User wrote:

Well, it was already answered that there is a difference, but I couldn't
test with her camera regardless; we live about 800 miles apart.

No, iPhoto definitely won't work; support for the D70s would need to be
added.

I have poked at the RAW support in iPhoto. It is a toy, not really worth
much beyond snapshots. I wouldn't recommend it for ongoing use.

I have Tiger 10.4.2, and do have X-Code 2.0 installed. But I'm not a
developer, so have no idea of how to compile anything. Anything other
than Applescripts, that is--and I don't need the development system for
that.

dcraw won't actually compile on a stock OS X system because a library it
needs isn't shipped with the OS. I could send you an executable compiled
for 10.4.2, but honestly, it's an old-school Unix command-line program and
it probably isn't going to make you happy.

I played with it a little after I got my D2x and before Adobe added D2x
support to Camera Raw, and I never did manage to get results out if it
that I liked -- that was probably due to lack of trying too hard, since
I knew Camera Raw support would come along so I didn't put too much time
into it.

But why isn't the object code for dcraw available?

There is something called dcRAW-X available: http://www.frostyplace.com/dcraw/
It's an OS X front-end for dcraw. I've never used it.

--
Jeremy |
Old October 9th 05, 08:42 AM
DoN. Nichols

According to Nikon User :
In article ,
(DoN. Nichols) wrote:

Are there differences between the D70 version of NEF and the D70s
version? If not, why can't I import with iPhoto?

Presumably there are differences -- though you might try as a test
importing images from her camera to see whether there may be a plugin
to the program missing.

Well, it was already answered that there is a difference, but I couldn't
test with her camera regardless; we live about 800 miles apart.

Have her take a single image on an old and small CF card, and
snail-mail it to you to test.

Or have her e-mail you a RAW image, if your mail system can
handle something that large.

You don't say which version of the Mac's OS you are using. If you
are using OS-X, you should be able to download dcraw and compile it,
just as you can on a unix system. (Do you have the development
system installed in your Mac? It is free, and provides an excelent
C compiler, "gcc". I think that it is even on the CD-ROMS which the
OS comes on.

I have Tiger 10.4.2, and do have X-Code 2.0 installed. But I'm not a
developer, so have no idea of how to compile anything. Anything other
than Applescripts, that is--and I don't need the development system for
that.

But why isn't the object code for dcraw available?

For which system? It is written for use on linux, and can be
used on other versions of unix (I use it on several versions of Sun's
Solaris and on OpenBSD).

If he were to make *any* binaries available, they would likely be
for the system which he uses -- linux.

Source code is a *lot* more portable than binaries, since it
doesn't care what CPU is used, or what OS, as long as it can support the
C compiler and the necessary libraries.

He is quite happy for others to make binaries available if they
so desire -- but be sure that they are up to date, as he brings out a
new revision a couple of times a month, it seems -- as he finds out
about new camera models which need to be decoded.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Old October 9th 05, 09:16 AM
Neil Ellwood

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 06:34:07 +0000, Jeremy Nixon wrote:

Nikon User wrote:

[...]

Have you tried UFraw ?
--
Neil
Delete delete to reply by email
Old October 9th 05, 02:17 PM
McLeod

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 18:07:32 -0000, Jeremy Nixon
wrote:

Third question: Is Nikon View or Nikon Capture worth buying?

No. Not worth using even if free.

Depends if you are required to include IPTC data with your images,
then Nikon View is sufficient. I thought it came with Nikon dslr's
anyway.
Old October 9th 05, 02:22 PM
McLeod

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 19:05:36 GMT, "Jim" wrote:

If you own the 10.5mm fisheye, then you can convert the image from round to
rectangular. The rectangular image still needs some work to avoid the
falling over backwards look.
Otherwise, both are a waste of money and time.

This can only be done in Nikon Capture, which also does some other
neat things, like map your dust spots between sensor cleanings. If
you get that falling over backwards feeling from your 10.5 mm lens
after being made rectillinear you weren't holding it level.
I thought Nikon View came with all Nikon dslrs. What program comes
with the D70s?
Old October 9th 05, 06:41 PM
Jeremy Nixon

Neil Ellwood neil.ellwdeleteoodbtinternet.com wrote:

Have you tried UFraw ?

No...

--
Jeremy |
Old October 9th 05, 07:32 PM
DoN. Nichols

According to McLeod :

What is a good Scotts name doing using as a username the Spanish
term for "beer"? :-) (I didn't notice the username until my spelling
checker popped it up as a candidate for "correction".)

[ ... ]

I thought Nikon View came with all Nikon dslrs. What program comes
with the D70s?

Picture Project is the one which came with my D70. There was
also Nikon View (or some other program) only as a limited-time program
-- just long enough to get a bunch of images embedded in it, and then
you have to pay to continue using it. I don't play under those rules. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old October 10th 05, 09:11 PM
no_name

Nikon User wrote:

In article ,
Jeremy Nixon wrote:

Are there differences between the D70 version of NEF and the D70s
version?

Yes. You will probably have to wait for iPhoto to be updated for it
to recognize the NEFs.

Thanks.

Second question: Does Photoshop SE offer enough advantages over
GraphicConverter to make it worth the money?

I'm not sure what "Photoshop SE" is, but if you meant "CS2", then,
yes.

Actually, I meant Photoshop Elements. I don't know where I got the "SE"
from.

There used to be a Photoshop LE (Limited Edition) that may have been a
predecessor to Elements. I got a copy bundled with a Nikon Coolscan IV ED.

Wasn't eligible for upgrade to the full version, so I ended up buying
the full version at retail.

I think I've since seen where it can now be upgraded, but the price is
about twice the regular upgrade price.